North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Non-functional Hood Scoop (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/91702-non-functional-hood-scoop.html)

Ryephile 02-12-2007 01:53 PM

Come on guys, listen to yourselves. :cry:

When the R53 came out, I remember thinking to myself "ok, it's not pure in the sense it's the same as the classic Mini, but it's a solid, fun car for this era." The same can be said for the R56, it's not a copy of the R53, nor a copy of the classic Mini. MINI likes to say it's an evolution of the R53, and from what I've seen in person, I agree. The R53 purists are going to complain it's not an R53, the classic Mini purists are going to complain it's yet again not a classic Mini, and the R56 will brag the R53 is old and not as good. None of those stances are positive to a fun loving community. I've owned two R53's, no classic Mini's, and have an R56 on the way. I'd love to get a classic Mini [my preference would be an early '60's Cooper S], but in the end, I want to blaze new technological trails, and that means R56. Not everyone is looking to do the same thing, and that is a very personal situation. I relate to the classic Mini guys that love the old-world simplicity and originality. I relate to the R53 guys, not just because I used to be one of 'em, but the fact they're certainly a landmark point in automotive design, just as the classic Mini was. I also relate to the R56 people, the latest generation of ground-breakers that are embracing the new turbo or valvetronic engines and new levels of safety and techology.

To say the R53 is "pure" is a load of B.S. compared to the classic Mini. The R53 has power windows, power locks, remote keyless, a supercharged engine with a bonnet scoop, longitudinal radiator, "coilover" suspension....all things that the classic Mini didn't have. The R53 is about as "pure" in terms of enthusiast vehicles come circa 2002-2006.

The R56 is just as "impure" compared to the classic Mini. Just like the R53, it has fake vents in the bumper, larger exterior dimensions, and more power than ever...all things the classic Mini didn't need to be successful. All that said, the R56 is relatively pure in terms of vehicles circa 2007+.

When I removed the supercharger from my R53 to begin my turbo conversion, I received some static from fellow R53 owners. They asked me "why are you ruining the purity of the supercharged engine?". I found that question quite ironic, as the classic Mini Cooper S was naturally aspirated. There is no "purity" of the supercharged engine relative to the classic Mini, so that means these people were probably afraid of me blazing new trails of R53 performance. I saw myself as trading one evil for another; both the stock R53 and my turbo setup were deviant from the purity of the classic Mini.

I think we all need to take a step back and see how silly this "purer than thou" attitude is as it is unhelpful. None of the cars we drive are pure in some extremists mind. My 2nd car, a 1st gen Miata, is crazy pure in the simplistic/minimalistic sense compared to any MINI, but on the other hand it's a fat, ugly, heavy blob compared to the Lotus Elan of the 1960's it was modeled after. It's all relative, and we have to understand not only the era the cars live[d] in but the intention each car had for its manufacturer in that era.

One of the reasons I decided to get an R56 was because I very much enjoy this community. It's the only car club I've been involved with that has a relatively care-free and fun-loving attitude that makes it all worthwhile. Add to that simply one of the best sporting cars around, and it's a win-win situation.

Cheers,
Ryan :thumbsup:

dave 02-12-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 1368896)

When the R53 came out, I remember thinking to myself "ok, it's not pure in the sense it's the same as the classic Mini, but it's a solid, fun car for this era." The same can be said for the R56, it's not a copy of the R53, nor a copy of the classic Mini. MINI likes to say it's an evolution of the R53, and from what I've seen in person, I agree. The R53 purists are going to complain it's not an R53, the classic Mini purists are going to complain it's yet again not a classic Mini, and the R56 will brag the R53 is old and not as good. None of those stances are positive to a fun loving community. I've owned two R53's, no classic Mini's, and have an R56 on the way. I'd love to get a classic Mini [my preference would be an early '60's Cooper S], but in the end, I want to blaze new technological trails, and that means R56. Not everyone is looking to do the same thing, and that is a very personal situation. I relate to the classic Mini guys that love the old-world simplicity and originality. I relate to the R53 guys, not just because I used to be one of 'em, but the fact they're certainly a landmark point in automotive design, just as the classic Mini was. I also relate to the R56 people, the latest generation of ground-breakers that are embracing the new turbo or valvetronic engines and new levels of safety and techology.

To say the R53 is "pure" is a load of B.S. compared to the classic Mini. The R53 has power windows, power locks, remote keyless, a supercharged engine with a bonnet scoop, longitudinal radiator, "coilover" suspension....all things that the classic Mini didn't have. The R53 is about as "pure" in terms of enthusiast vehicles come circa 2002-2006.

The R56 is just as "impure" compared to the classic Mini. Just like the R53, it has fake vents in the bumper, larger exterior dimensions, and more power than ever...all things the classic Mini didn't need to be successful. All that said, the R56 is relatively pure in terms of vehicles circa 2007+.

When I removed the supercharger from my R53 to begin my turbo conversion, I received some static from fellow R53 owners. They asked me "why are you ruining the purity of the supercharged engine?". I found that question quite ironic, as the classic Mini Cooper S was naturally aspirated. There is no "purity" of the supercharged engine relative to the classic Mini, so that means these people were probably afraid of me blazing new trails of R53 performance. I saw myself as trading one evil for another; both the stock R53 and my turbo setup were deviant from the purity of the classic Mini.

I think we all need to take a step back and see how silly this "purer than thou" attitude is as it is unhelpful. None of the cars we drive are pure in some extremists mind. My 2nd car, a 1st gen Miata, is crazy pure in the simplistic/minimalistic sense compared to any MINI, but on the other hand it's a fat, ugly, heavy blob compared to the Lotus Elan of the 1960's it was modeled after. It's all relative, and we have to understand not only the era the cars live[d] in but the intention each car had for its manufacturer in that era.

One of the reasons I decided to get an R56 was because I very much enjoy this community. It's the only car club I've been involved with that has a relatively care-free and fun-loving attitude that makes it all worthwhile. Add to that simply one of the best sporting cars around, and it's a win-win situation.

Cheers,

Here Here!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very nicely put.

Red 02-12-2007 04:33 PM

Cheers,

Wow. This thread was about a phony air scoop. Yeah, the R53 had phony "vents" in the rear bumper, but a big scoop that has no function right in your face?

Enjoy your R56, as I know I will down the road. But I probably will leave the Turbo and not install a supercharger when I get it. :)

regards,
Red

bamatt 02-12-2007 06:08 PM

I think we all need to take a step back and see how silly this "purer than thou" attitude is as it is unhelpful.

Yeah & that ahould apply to BOTH!!! R53'ers & R56'ers

daffodildeb 02-12-2007 06:29 PM

Ryan, you said it best!

designerMINI 02-12-2007 06:47 PM

Yep, no immaculate conceptions for any models.
I certainly need to learn to ignore posts I don't like regardless of how stupid they are :lol: and I hope others will do the same for my stupid posts.:lol:
:thumbsup: