North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Help meh! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/279466-help-meh.html)

scubbysnacks 11-10-2014 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hurdboy (Post 4011344)
And Scubby i decided on the Evolve R. Pricey but I think the being able to tune from home will make it worth it. I think the closest reputable dyno is 3+ hrs away from me. Cost vs. benefit isnt doing it for me. And wouldnt the turbo+airbox essentially make the car in the JCW tuning range? Could be wrong.

Look at it this way with my mods still running my original turbo I should be producing the same power as a JCW's according to Evolve(230hp, don't take any notice of what BMW claim 230 is what a JCW should dyno).

So with a JCW turbo bolted to an S Evolve should be able to give you a tune at lest to JCW if not more and maintain that to redline.

Its a shame that Evolve has not lowered their pricing considering new tuners in the market and with the 3rd generation MINI now hitting the streets.

Hurdboy 11-10-2014 04:42 AM

Gotcha. Too bad EVERYTHING is so damn pricey lol I was looking at JCW turbos and they seem to be running anywhere from $1k-$1.5k. If thats the case the point seems kind of moot considering with an Evolve tune I can make the same "stock" JCW power. Im going to be adding bolt on's mostly. From a few of the threads I've read pushing too much power would require forged internals. Which I feel is a pipedream at this moment...sad face. I'm currently working full time and going to school working towards becoming a PA. Hopefully then I can build it the way i want. When I want. Time will tell. And wasnt sure if you guys had any input on the intakes. Im REALLY digging on the M7 Super-AGS. It just looks sexy in the engine bay. I've heard the Alta is the best bang for the buck.

SPRINTCARS 11-10-2014 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hurdboy (Post 4011681)
Gotcha. Too bad EVERYTHING is so damn pricey lol I was looking at JCW turbos and they seem to be running anywhere from $1k-$1.5k. If thats the case the point seems kind of moot considering with an Evolve tune I can make the same "stock" JCW power. Im going to be adding bolt on's mostly. From a few of the threads I've read pushing too much power would require forged internals. Which I feel is a pipedream at this moment...sad face. I'm currently working full time and going to school working towards becoming a PA. Hopefully then I can build it the way i want. When I want. Time will tell. And wasnt sure if you guys had any input on the intakes. Im REALLY digging on the M7 Super-AGS. It just looks sexy in the engine bay. I've heard the Alta is the best bang for the buck.

I like any I take that doesn't allow the intake the draw in hot engine bay air. I personally have the AEM intake system.

Hurdboy 11-10-2014 08:56 PM

The ram air system?

SPRINTCARS 11-10-2014 10:12 PM

Yea. As long as the air filter isn't sitting on top the intake sucking ambient under the Hood heated air. AEM intake system. Dos intake system. Stuff like that. Taking out the factory box and duct going to the turbo and installing a intake where the filter is wide open to engine bay air, to me, isn't a cold air intake even tho they advertise they are. I think if you don't have a system that uses either the hood scoop or runs a duct up to the front of the car, leave it alone. The factory air box has a duct for fresh air to come in around the headlight vicinity. It so it gets fresh air. Not air heated by the engine compartment.

Hurdboy 11-13-2014 12:48 AM

While moving I dont see the ambient air being heated to such a degree that it would rob power. My scoop is fully open and I feel the the VAST size of the filter on the M7 Super-AGS would be more beneficial than the ram air. I dont see the AEM really pressurizing and condensing the air any more, if at all. The M7 having the ability to out flow any other filter is a bonus lol especially with the use of a kickass heatshield.(Alta) Now stop and go traffic is a different conversation. I guess it just depends on your application.

SPRINTCARS 11-19-2014 07:31 PM

If it's a turbo charged vehicle and your trying to have a pressurized intake affect before the turbo, your just spinning your wheels. The only thing you should consider is the fresh air ability. Not under the hood fresh air either.