North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 sparks possibly coming from exhaust? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/267563-sparks-possibly-coming-from-exhaust.html)

luthientier 03-24-2014 08:04 AM

sparks possibly coming from exhaust?

So, i typically am up driving my mini while it is still dark out. This past friday i was driving my usual route and when i noticed, looking in ky rear view mirror, sparks floating behind me. As you can imagine, i about had a freak out. I pulled into a driveway and got out to see if there was any smoke or anything visible that could have caused it. There was nothing, no smell or anything. One of the neighbors has a mechanic business, so he lifted my car up so we could see if there was anything that could have caused it. Besides needing to get breaks soonish, he could not see any sign of something, like the breaks or anything, that might have thrown sparks. He said maybe it could be the turbo possibly. I didnt have him do anything other than give it a look over, since i still have my 4 hear limited warranty till july.

So anyways, i did my same route this morning, and at the same exact location the sparks happened again. It happened right after i climb a somewhat steep hill and my car shifts. The car feels as though it is running perfectly fine, i get no service lights on the rpms are fine. It really feels like it is running smooth.

I called the dealership today and am going in first thing tomorrow morning. I do live about 1 1/2 hiurs from the dealership. The serviceman i spoke to said he had never heard of anything like this happening. Same with the neighbor mechanic, he googled it and said he never saw anything pop up about it.

So, i guess i am just curious as to if anyone had any opinions on the matter.

I have a 2010 MCS, just over 40k miles.

Thanks!

luthientier 03-24-2014 08:05 AM

I also just have the feeling the service department won't find anything, since it is always my luck for it to not act up when i get it to the dealer, since i live far away.

I also almost always get my gas from the same station as long as i am able. 93

Grizld700 03-24-2014 08:22 AM

Is this only ever in the one spot? Or have you seen the sparks elsewhere?

ZippyNH 03-24-2014 08:30 AM

Wondering if something was rubbing/dragging.....that would make sparks...how do your tires look? I have seen a couple MINI's being driven with the belts poking out through the edges of the rubber on the inner edges...this WILL spark...and is UNSAFE on many levels.
I would seriously doubt a turbo would makes sparks that would be seen behind the car...

luthientier 03-24-2014 08:33 AM

If you mean that stretch of road, then that is the only place. I do not scrape on the road or anything. This is a main state route kept in very goid condition.

I am not sure if it happens anywhere else, since after that first drive, it is daylight out, and i may not see the sparks once it is light.

It is ten minutes into my 15 minute trip. So it is warmed up well at that point.

The sparks seem like they would come from the middle or both sides of my mini since they are equally spread behind me.

luthientier 03-24-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3901293)
Wondering if something was rubbing/dragging.....that would make sparks...how do your tires look? I have seen a couple MINI's being driven with the belts poking out through the edges of the rubber on the inner edges...this WILL spark...and is UNSAFE on many levels.
I would seriously doubt a turbo would makes sparks that would be seen behind the car...

I had a mechanic lift it up and look to see if anything was scraping or rubbing. He didnt see anything. That mechanic and another i talked to said that since the turbo is goes directly into tbe exhaust, that maybe it is going bad and maybe it is the bearings.

I definitely do not feel or hear any scraping or dragging.( not saying that that isnt a possibility.)

luthientier 03-24-2014 08:39 AM

Also, my tires are only a couple months old.

pokeyjoe 03-24-2014 08:47 AM

Your catalytic converter might be disintegrating.

Namotuman 03-24-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by luthientier (Post 3901296)
If you mean that stretch of road, then that is the only place. I do not scrape on the road or anything. This is a main state route kept in very goid condition.

I am not sure if it happens anywhere else, since after that first drive, it is daylight out, and i may not see the sparks once it is light.

It is ten minutes into my 15 minute trip. So it is warmed up well at that point.

The sparks seem like they would come from the middle or both sides of my mini since they are equally spread behind me.

Could it be a.............close encounter of the 3rd kind?...LOL:lol:

luthientier 03-24-2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Namotuman (Post 3901368)
Could it be a.............close encounter of the 3rd kind?...LOL:lol:

I sure hope not! Aliens and tornadoes are always my scariest nightmares!

<05MINI> 03-24-2014 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by pokeyjoe (Post 3901315)
your catalytic converter might be disintegrating.

+1

luthientier 03-24-2014 01:03 PM

If it is the catalytic converter, should that be covered with the 4 year warranty, you think?

Grizld700 03-24-2014 01:12 PM

Catalytic converters are covered under federal emissions warranty which is 8 year 80,000 miles. But usually in order to get coverage you will need a check engine light on with a p0420 code.

luthientier 03-24-2014 01:51 PM

I am still going to make the trip tomorrow, but do you think, if that is the reason for the sparks, i will end up having to wait till it completely fails?

pokeyjoe 03-24-2014 01:55 PM

No. If you put it on a lift and bang on it, it will probably rattle. They should replace it under warranty.

Slave to Felines 03-24-2014 03:14 PM

Could it be a side-effect of "burble and pop"? That is what MINI specifically programmed into some Cooper S models when in "Sport" mode. I think they may dump extra fuel in, so it lights off in the exhaust. Does it happen while you are hearing the "burble and pop"?

luthientier 03-24-2014 03:16 PM

I dont think ive ever heard the burble and pop. I also did not have it in sport mode.

AZdsrt 03-24-2014 05:25 PM

Ya gotta love a good mystery. Since it only happens at the same location (and apparently in the dark), try going back to that location in day light and look around.

mbwicz 03-24-2014 05:57 PM

Did you ever have a buddy follow you up that section of road, and maybe give you more hints about where the sparks are coming from (exhaust, center under car, both sides, etc)?

Just another idea for you.

Have fun,
Mike

luthientier 03-24-2014 06:24 PM

No i havent had anyone follow me, i have thought about it, but havent done it yet since i have only just started seeing them. That was going to be my plan if it took more than a day for me to get into the dealer.

I go there first thing in the morning. I will let you all know what they say.

Thanks for the help!

ZIPPY "S" 03-24-2014 07:58 PM

Wow this is a new one ha ha I guess what doesn't a MINI do..lol..

elsenordave 03-25-2014 12:00 AM

Hook up a spark plug and see if you get some flames...:grin:

dudebaker 03-25-2014 03:22 AM

This is intriguing. I agree with what others have said above; If scraping/rubbing can be ruled out, start by checking the condition of the catalytic converter.

luthientier 03-25-2014 11:12 AM

I am back from the dealership. My catalytic converter is working fine, but they did replace an o2 sensor in front of the catalytic converter that was faulty. They think that may have been causing extra fuel to get through and cause the sparks.

I will see tomorrow morning if i still have sparks or not.

Cngizbleevng 03-25-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by luthientier (Post 3902061)
I am back from the dealership. My catalytic converter is working fine, but they did replace an o2 sensor in front of the catalytic converter that was faulty. They think that may have been causing extra fuel to get through and cause the sparks.

I will see tomorrow morning if i still have sparks or not.

Maybe, I'll take out my O2 sensor. I'd like to have sparks coming out the exhaust. :nod: