North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 sparks possibly coming from exhaust? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/267563-sparks-possibly-coming-from-exhaust.html)

kaneguy 03-25-2014 11:46 AM

It's a good thing you live in Va. If you were out west where it is dry as a tinder box you could have more than just sparks behind you. There could possibly be a Firestorm behind you that YOU started!! LOL

luthientier 03-25-2014 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by kaneguy (Post 3902087)
It's a good thing you live in Va. If you were out west where it is dry as a tinder box you could have more than just sparks behind you. There could possibly be a Firestorm behind you that YOU started!! LOL

Lol!! Sounds like it would be pretty epic looking though. Everywhere my mini and i go, has desruction left behind!

I also now live in ohio, so even less of a chance of a fire.

dudebaker 03-25-2014 12:44 PM

What kind of gas mileage have you been getting? Did the dealership pull any codes from the ECU?

pokeyjoe 03-25-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dudebaker (Post 3902128)
What kind of gas mileage have you been getting? Did the dealership pull any codes from the ECU?

The right questions. If anything was wrong with the O2 sensor, a code would be thrown.

The catalytic convertor could be working fine and still be losing bits out the back. If all they did was stick a sniffer in the pipe to check emissions, then they learned nothing. In fact, they probably learned that the O2 sensor was fine.

dudebaker 03-25-2014 04:09 PM

That's what I was thinking too Joe. A faulty/non-op O2 sensor would hurt fuel economy too. Sounds like the typical MINI dealer tactic of "throw parts at them and hope they go away."

luthientier 03-26-2014 03:48 PM

I havent been keeping track of the mileage thoroughly, my husband has been the one filling up my car lately and hasnt been resetting.(not being down on him, i forget to do it a lot as well) but i know it has been much worse than usual.

I dont remember if they said there was a ecu code or not. Would that show up on the receipt? Before i called the dealership i ran the check in the menu and it said it was ok.

Are you guys thinking something else could be wrong?

By the way, i didnt have any sparks this morning.

pokeyjoe 03-26-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by luthientier (Post 3902965)

By the way, i didnt have any sparks this morning.

Awesome.

dudebaker 03-26-2014 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by luthientier (Post 3902965)
I havent been keeping track of the mileage thoroughly, my husband has been the one filling up my car lately and hasnt been resetting.(not being down on him, i forget to do it a lot as well) but i know it has been much worse than usual. I dont remember if they said there was a ecu code or not. Would that show up on the receipt? Before i called the dealership i ran the check in the menu and it said it was ok. Are you guys thinking something else could be wrong? By the way, i didnt have any sparks this morning.

You do know that your MINI will display the average and current fuel economy, right? You don't need to calculate it yourself.

luthientier 03-26-2014 06:12 PM

Yea, i never really think of that. I always just have it on mpf with the temp.

elsenordave 03-26-2014 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dudebaker (Post 3903064)
You do know that your MINI will display the average and current fuel economy, right? You don't need to calculate it yourself.

How accurate is the display...mine reads 44mpg...

Slave to Felines 03-28-2014 01:55 PM

Mine started out very optimistic, but it seems to be coming down to more in line with my actual calculated (miles traveled/gallons filled) results.

The instantaneous numbers still seem somewhat high, but the average is pretty close.

luthientier 03-30-2014 08:15 AM

Mine is 30.9 seems pretty low to me, but i never checked it when i first bought mine.