North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 2013 Mini Cooper S Hardtop NEWBIE QUESTIONS :) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/258556-2013-mini-cooper-s-hardtop-newbie-questions.html)

c995990 09-26-2013 12:41 PM

2013 Mini Cooper S Hardtop NEWBIE QUESTIONS :)

Got a a couple newbie questions for ya'all.

What engine type does the 2013 MCS have? Is it the N18B16? Is this indicated somewhere under the hood?

What does the "Sport" button do? Does it affect fuel consumption?

I don't see an engine temp gauge for the MCS, am I missing something?

The engine makes a sound that goes like this TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK.. I assume this is normal?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike

cerenkov 09-26-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by c995990 (Post 3816111)
Got a a couple newbie questions for ya'all.

What engine type does the 2013 MCS have? Is it the N18B16? Is this indicated somewhere under the hood?

What does the "Sport" button do? Does it affect fuel consumption?

I don't see an engine temp gauge for the MCS, am I missing something?

The engine makes a sound that goes like this TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK-TAK.. I assume this is normal?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike

The engine code is N18 and no this is not labelled anywhere.

The sport button tightens the steering, changes the throttle response and makes the exhaust pop and gurgle. There maybe other changes too.

To the bane of every gen2 owner there is no temperature gauge.

The engine does make that TAK sound and it is normal (this I believe is due to it using a time CHAIN)

c995990 09-26-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3816114)
The engine code is N18 and no this is not labelled anywhere.

The sport button tightens the steering, changes the throttle response and makes the exhaust pop and gurgle. There maybe other changes too.

To the bane of every gen2 owner there is no temperature gauge.

The engine does make that TAK sound and it is normal (this I believe is due to it using a time CHAIN)

Hi cerenkov, thanks for your response.

Any suggestions on when to use the Sport Button? Always, sometimes, it depends? :)

Mike

cerenkov 09-26-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by c995990 (Post 3816117)
Hi cerenkov, thanks for your response. Any suggestions on when to use the Sport Button? Always, sometimes, it depends? :) Mike

ALWAYS, I really don't think it affects mpg at all.

There is a device that you can install so that sport is on by default, I'm thinking about doing this.

c995990 09-26-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3816124)
ALWAYS, I really don't think it affects mpg at all.

There is a device that you can install so that sport is on by default, I'm thinking about doing this.

Great! Thanks again!

countryboyshane 09-26-2013 01:33 PM

Sport mode ONLY increases the throttle pedal sensitivity and responsiveness of the power steering motor. There are some misconceptions that it adds more power, but that is absolutely false.

I've left the sport mode on all the time from day one. The responsiveness of the throttle is especially bad without it on. Why anyone would want an even more spongy throttle response and mushy steering response is beyond me. BMW/MINI keep making these cars even more soft which is a bad thing in my opinion.

jomama 09-26-2013 02:34 PM

the tak-tak sound is normal for direct injection cars, esp on startup. some people say it almost sounds like a diesel car. i'm not sure what the science behind it is.
sport mode on an a/t mcs will hold the car in each gear a little deeper into the rpm range before shifting.

c995990 09-26-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by countryboyshane (Post 3816151)
Sport mode ONLY increases the throttle pedal sensitivity and responsiveness of the power steering motor. There are some misconceptions that it adds more power, but that is absolutely false.

I've left the sport mode on all the time from day one. The responsiveness of the throttle is especially bad without it on. Why anyone would want an even more spongy throttle response and mushy steering response is beyond me. BMW/MINI keep making these cars even more soft which is a bad thing in my opinion.

Thanks for your response now I have a better understanding of the Sport Mode feature.

c995990 09-26-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jomama (Post 3816183)
the tak-tak sound is normal for direct injection cars, esp on startup. some people say it almost sounds like a diesel car. i'm not sure what the science behind it is.
sport mode on an a/t mcs will hold the car in each gear a little deeper into the rpm range before shifting.

I've been so used to the Toyota engines and this is our first non-Toyota, so the sound kind of caught my attention immediately. It's good to know that it is normal and now i'll have to read-up more on direct injection engines.

Thanks for your response.

cerenkov 09-26-2013 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually I was wrong, I found the engine code on this sticker - it's pasted on the hood - look under the "Group" section.

c995990 09-26-2013 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 3816333)
Actually I was wrong, I found the engine code on this sticker - it's pasted on the hood - look under the "Group" section.

LOL, you got me checking it out.

Thanks for the info!

Slave to Felines 09-27-2013 10:25 AM

The rattle noise could also be the wastegate; I have read on here that they open the WG slightly on cold start to help the motor warm up a little quicker, and that it can rattle while that is happening.

There is also the infamous timing chain rattle, or "Death Rattle". Look around for threads on it and Youtube videos on it; the sound is supposed to be different from the WG rattle or direct injection clatter. Make sure to keep your oil topped up; low oil levels exacerbate chain tension problems. Check it every time you get gas!

The SPORT button could cause lower MPG indirectly--because you'll be tempted to use that power more, which will drop your fuel economy. (But more "Smiles Per Gallon", so.... ;) ) If you have an automatic trans, the SPORT button will change the shift points so the engine revs higher before the transmission shifts to the next gear. That will definitely affect fuel economy. I have also read some people here who say that it allows a bit more turbo boost, or allows the "overboost" to stay on a little longer. Others disagree.

Summons 09-28-2013 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
+1 to Slave

The waste gate rattle is a bit more ringy than a tak tak sound - that I suspect is injector noise.

As for the temp guage... There are options. Scan guage for one, or uf you are as perpetually lost as I am, pick up a late model Garmin and add the EcoRoute module. It plugs into the OBD II port and gives a display that is fairly customisable, and doubles as a GPS! See attached image - I have mine in Metric, but you can go old school Imperial if you wish...
E

cerenkov 09-28-2013 03:33 PM

I like that Garmin setup.

nrfitchett4 09-29-2013 02:58 AM

the normal temp runs so close to redline that it would probably concern most people so I can see the reasoning. Even with a gauge, it will overheat before you realize it (unless you are running a/c on max).

remphoto 09-29-2013 06:35 AM

The ticking sound of the engine at idle might also be due to the direct fuel injection system. As to the sport button, I always use it. My MCSA seem lethargic without it as it shifts too soon and without a positive feel like when in sport mode. Plus, the pop and burble is a cools sound.