North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Why are people so misinformed about the MINI? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/62520-why-are-people-so-misinformed-about-the-mini.html)

WolfgangGullich 03-04-2006 04:55 PM

Born from jets my butt...the company that designed and built the Grippen and Viggen fighters has nothing to do with this current blight brought to us by the General.:mad: I once owned the last of the 'real' Saabs. A 1988 Saab 900 Turbo...when Saab Aero and Automotive were still one and the same. And as to people who think the Cooper is for chicks...let 'em keep thinking that, all the more Mini's for us to own :thumbsup: and then blast past them in their ginormous gas-guzzling SUVs:razz:

Dr Obnxs 03-04-2006 05:15 PM

As an owner of both a Mini and an SUV

Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich
ginormous gas-guzzling SUVs:razz:

I just HATE seeing these slams on SUVs all the time.... Since they are so prevelant, I guess I'll just have to suck it up....

But I gotta tell you, when I hammer the Mini, it doesn't do that much better than my 5 liter Mustang.....

Matt

Paladin7 03-04-2006 07:19 PM

For me it's simple. Of all the cars I have owned, the MINI is the only one I enjoy EVERY time I get in it. It never fails to thrill me. I used to have an 03 MC and traded last fall for an 06 MCS. The performance is excellent and I strongly believe the design will have lasting appeal like a 56 Corvette or the 66 Mustang.

http://AGREGAT.org/P7s3.gif

lhoboy 03-04-2006 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sandie
I was referring to other peoples comments

Just having some fun at my own expense! :razz:

kenchan 03-05-2006 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Paladin7
For me it's simple. Of all the cars I have owned, the MINI is the only one I enjoy EVERY time I get in it. It never fails to thrill me. I used to have an 03 MC and traded last fall for an 06 MCS. The performance is excellent and I strongly believe the design will have lasting appeal like a 56 Corvette or the 66 Mustang.

yep, it's definitely a fun car and good lasting looks. :)

illegalprelude 03-05-2006 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
do you have any idea how many girls think im gay because i drive the MINI? not that theres anythign wrong with being gay, but i dont want girls to think im gay...for obvious reasons. and too many in the past think so, even after a ride. but most people seem to be moderately informed by now about the MINI's stellar performance attributes. i just think that its funny how ignorant some people can me to make the assimilation: MINI=Gay. but thats just me

the day I meet a girl who drives a Mini cause she loves Mini, not because dad got it for her and its cute, she will be my new goddess (till then, its still Jessica Alba :grin: ) BUT!! like others said, i get it took. "dude, you drive a chicks car"

I just nod. they still drive a 94 Chevy :thumbsup:

jabell2r 03-05-2006 11:44 AM

Well I used to drive a 94 Saturn SL. At the time I needed a reliable inexspensive car with enough room for my job at the time. And after 11 years and 289,000 miles I can say that if the new ones weren't ugly as sin I might have settled and just bought another one. Thankfully the new ION is a bit nasty looking in my opinion, because now I drive Audrey 05 MC PW/B w/Sunroof. And yes I have had mixed opinions on my choice, but I for one am having a blast. Anyone who has a different opinion about me or my car is welcome to it. If they could catch me maybe we could dicuss it.

Ministi2005 03-05-2006 12:11 PM

Tell them to go look at this video, then: Why Minis are Better Than Porches:thumbsup:

That and more on my movies page. http://www.taylorsmith.biz/Movies.htm

Enjoy.

purplefreak60 03-05-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by illegalprelude
the day I meet a girl who drives a Mini cause she loves Mini, not because dad got it for her and its cute, she will be my new goddess (till then, its still Jessica Alba :grin: ) BUT!! like others said, i get it took. "dude, you drive a chicks car"

I just nod. they still drive a 94 Chevy :thumbsup:

Here I am! Daddy didn't buy me my Mini. I bought him because he's awesome to drive, the fact he's cute too is just a bonus!

illegalprelude 03-05-2006 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by purplefreak60
Here I am! Daddy didn't buy me my Mini. I bought him because he's awesome to drive, the fact he's cute too is just a bonus!

if there was a bow down smily, you would be seeing it right now :thumbsup:

chows4us 03-05-2006 01:22 PM

if there was a bow down smily, you would be seeing it right now :thumbsup:

here you go http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_4.gif

illegalprelude 03-05-2006 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by chows4us

chow saves the day! :grin: :thumbsup: <<< I love that smily. actually, both of those. they look so happy.

:thumbsup: This guy reminds me of me, everytime im in my Mini Cooper. Im like...the happiest Mini Cooper owner, i swear. I feeling like smiling at everybody :grin:

chows4us 03-05-2006 02:03 PM

chow saves the day! :grin: :thumbsup: <<< I love that smily. actually, both of those. they look so happy.

:thumbsup: This guy reminds me of me, everytime im in my Mini Cooper. Im like...the happiest Mini Cooper owner, i swear. I feeling like smiling at everybody :grin:

BIG SMILE http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_1.gif

lhoboy 03-06-2006 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I just HATE seeing these slams on SUVs all the time.... Since they are so prevelant, I guess I'll just have to suck it up....

But I gotta tell you, when I hammer the Mini, it doesn't do that much better than my 5 liter Mustang.....

Matt

Since when is a 5.0 Mustang an SUV?

lhoboy 03-06-2006 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ministi2005
Tell them to go look at this video, then: Why Minis are Better Than Porches:thumbsup:

That and more on my movies page. http://www.taylorsmith.biz/Movies.htm

Enjoy.

Outstanding!!

Dr Obnxs 03-06-2006 07:28 AM

It's not...

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Since when is a 5.0 Mustang an SUV?

But it's also not considered a gas sipping economy car. An S driven in a spirited manner does just drink the gas, way more than the motor displacement would indicate...

The post I was refering to was slamming gas guzzlers (which the Mini S sometimes is) and SUVs....

Matt

lhoboy 03-06-2006 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs

The post I was refering to was slamming gas guzzlers (which the Mini S sometimes is) and SUVs....

Matt

I don't mind guzzling gas for a good cause - horsepower :grin: . I just don't see the point of 1 person riding in an oversized albatross with no intention of taking that 4 wheel drive off the interstate :roll: . (please don't give me the safety reasons - the statistics just don't bear out)

Oh BTW, I too have a big FWD - for hauling garbage and driving through the 1 foot snowfall we'll get here once every 3 years.

Avg mpg:
GMC Full size P/U - 16.5
MCS JCW - 20.6

Yes, and I hope to get a gas guzzluing Mustang as well.

Of course, none of this makes any sense to any rational human bean.:lol:

bamatt 03-06-2006 12:54 PM

the day I meet a girl who drives a Mini cause she loves Mini, not because dad got it for her and its cute, she will be my new goddess (till then, its still Jessica Alba :grin: )

Goddess #2 here. I bought my MINI because it is cute, gets good gas mileage, goes zoom zoom, & corners like no other. I wish I had a daddy to make my payments (Sugar Daddy applications gladly accepted too :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Jenn B 03-06-2006 01:01 PM

Well, I haven't read all six pages but it's a pretty simple question to answer. The vast majority of people know very little about cars and almost always much less than they think they do.

You could walk up to most people and just name a car model that isn't a super popular one and it may take a while before you find someone who knows exactly what you are talking about. I've heard "Oh, isn't that made by Chrysler?" a couple of times and those people just had no clue. The vast majority of people are not into their car even a fraction of as much as we are.

Oh... and as for MINIs being "gay"... I don't see that at all. I don't think what you drive has anything to do with your sexual preference. My male drives a MINI and I happen to think it's pretty darn sexy.

illegalprelude 03-07-2006 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bamatt
Goddess #2 here. I bought my MINI because it is cute, gets good gas mileage, goes zoom zoom, & corners like no other. I wish I had a daddy to make my payments (Sugar Daddy applications gladly accepted too :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Do you take Checks/Credit or only cash :grin: :grin:

bamatt 03-07-2006 07:09 AM

Do you take Checks/Credit or only cash :grin: :grin:

I am open to all forms of payment :lol: :lol: :lol: