North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 What should I look for when getting a MINI (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/296508-what-should-i-look-for-when-getting-a-mini.html)

mini_mike237 12-05-2015 06:01 AM

What should I look for when getting a MINI

Today I'm going to dealership to get a Mini Cooper s , it's a 2004. I'm curious to know what are things I should keep a look out for when test driving it , as far as how the clutch should more less feel, and throwing it into gears should feel, and just general things like that . Thanks

Nicefeet 12-05-2015 06:03 AM

Oil leaks
Oil leaks
Oil leaks

02fanatic 12-05-2015 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mini_mike237 (Post 4151254)
Today I'm going to dealership to get a Mini Cooper s , it's a 2004. I'm curious to know what are things I should keep a look out for when test driving it , as far as how the clutch should more less feel, and throwing it into gears should feel, and just general things like that . Thanks

Don't overpay! You will likely put more $ into the car than it's worth getting it sorted, unless you just drive it & don't care. Mileage & maintenance records are very important. Supercharger may need maintenance when it gets up into the 120k - 140k mileage range....just depends. I fell in love with a 2004 MCS on a car lot but my mechanic told me to run away! I ended up buying a new F56. I still love the Gen 1 MINI though.....if you get one just be prepared to put $ into it!

Good luck,

John

CRC 12-05-2015 07:02 AM

What should I look for when getting a MINI?

A second job.

Seriously, get a mechanic that you trust to do a PPI (as 02fanatic did).

AoxoMoxoA 12-05-2015 07:10 AM

I'm curious to know what are things I should keep a look out for when test driving it , as far as how the clutch should more less feel, and throwing it into gears should feel, and just general things like that . Thanks

When operating properly, the clutch should be firm and it should shift precisely, popping into gear with a firm, not "mushy" feel.

Once you've determined that the engine runs smoothly, the gearbox shifts properly, the car handles tight without suspension-related noises coming from underneath, and the brakes work, you should ask for it to be put up on a lift, and inspect the underside of the car. Check the underside of the engine for oil leaks and drips. Make sure they take the skid plate off, so you can see the entire engine bottom - not just the rear half... If you see wet areas, one or more of the following leaks is present. Sources for oil leaks include the valve cover gasket (rear of valve cover), camshaft sensor o-ring, crankshaft sensor o-ring (front of engine), oil pan gasket, oil housing gasket (rear of engine). If leaks are present, insist that the dealership agree to diagnose and repair them. If they hedge on that, negotiate a lower price on the car and/or walk away.

Also check the muffler brackets to see if they have detached (rusted away) over time.

Are they offering a warranty?

Shawnnn 12-05-2015 11:23 AM

Yeah the clutch is something to check for sure. Accelerate hard, don't need to try and blow it up or anything, but go through all the gears including 6th, there should be no slippage anywhere. It will also tell you if the engine is having any issues too.

So much depends on price and mileage, and the amount of work the previous owner has done. There are certain things on these cars that wear out, for everybody, and hopefully some of them have been taken care of already

There's also about 1,000 posts on this subject. Spend some time on this website, plenty of information about what you are getting in to. A good mechanic or the ability to fix things yourself is extremely helpful when purchasing a used Mini.

MiniLife 12-06-2015 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRC (Post 4151267)
What should I look for when getting a MINI?

A second job.

Seriously, get a mechanic that you trust to do a PPI (as 02fanatic did).

:lol: +1

PelicanParts.com 12-07-2015 10:33 AM

Read over the motoring file buyers guide here as well.

ECSTuning 12-07-2015 10:44 AM

Get a walk around and get it looked at first, up on a lift or rack. Check everything from rust in the taillights to trunk lid grip ( ok if its a southern car ), make sure the Power steering works, check the clutch for rattle , noise on release and shifting. Also get a carfax or history report, most dealership will give you the history if you show them the VIN and proof of ownership. They can tell you what has been done.

coachvminis 12-08-2015 08:27 AM

anything other than a mini :( ....V-Dub, Audi.. Hyundai G..