North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Navigation/Audio (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-audio-364/)
-   -   Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 and Mini Connected (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-audio/237945-iphone-5-and-mini-connected.html)

joshuakohl 09-22-2012 09:46 AM

iPhone 5 and Mini Connected

What do people think about the fate of MINI Connected now that we have the iPhone 5? Obviously you can Aux into the stereo, or Bluetooth stream, but where's the fun in that? The lightning to 30 pin adapter apparently doesn't support Video or iPod Out to the dashboard screen when using the Y-cable. I tried to plug in the included lightning cable to the car's USB port, but it won't push audio to the stereo, it keeps coming out of the iPhone speaker. You can still use the MINI connected App when plugged in, but only for Facebook, Twitter etc - not music. And interestingly enough, let's say you are charging your phone via the USB port, the system says you have to unplug the USB before you can use Bluetooth.

Now that the phone has been released, I'm sure questions will be answered. I keep tweeting at BMW and MINI but they have yet to reply.

Anyone else try out MINI Connected with the iPhone 5?

52804x4 09-22-2012 12:47 PM

There is some conversation going here about it...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-5-buyers.html

sheldoncooper 05-31-2013 06:38 AM

No issue whatsoever

i just took delivery of my Countryman with Nav and i had the little converter from y cable to iphone 5 and i didnt have problems whatsoever. do you have an original converter or compatible?

ignitionmodule 05-31-2013 01:18 PM

No issues with mine either. Just used the stub adapter from Apple.

rfg123 05-21-2014 06:28 PM

I upgraded from a 4 to a 5s. The connected app doesn't play music anymore but handles twitter and facebook. I can play audio via the USB in and that shows video too but the audio is only right channel. No left channel.

snowride0 07-09-2014 12:22 PM

How on earth are all yours working?!!!!! I have a brand new 2014 CMS with Connected and Nav. I have an iPhone 5s and I've gone through 3 Apple lightning adapters and the Connected won't see the phone. I've downloaded the app 5 times. NOTHING I do works.

Dave

rfg123 07-09-2014 04:51 PM

I never got the connected app to work after switching phones. What did work was using the phone as an external device. That worked just fine and displayed album art.

miniforeb 08-11-2014 01:31 PM

I really think this comes down to 2 factors:

1. Are you using the right cable (y cable)?
2. Are you using the right version of the software?

The current version of the software is in the file 100006.bin file (I am being lazy here but it is something like .305 in the Mini settings) and the cable needs to be this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291191295887?lpid=82). The old one that had the "barrel like fuse" in line is the wrong one and most dealers don't know that, because they are not technical. The software also helps because the latest version cleaned up some issues with the iPhone connection. That cable is literally the newest one out there since it has the lightning adapter.

I hope that explanation helped.

TJANK 08-17-2014 05:01 PM

FYI. I should mention my CM was delivered with the wrong y cable. The rectangular connector was the wrong older one. The dealer sent me the correct one which has a triangular connector for the three wires.

Diablo243 08-22-2014 12:01 PM

Does anyone know what is going on in the Y part of the cable to make it a $94 cable? With just my regular Apple lightning cable all my mini connected apps work fine, except anything that has audio in it obviously because I don't have anything running through the 3.5 din jack. For people who have spent the money do you really feel like it was worth it, because honestly the connected apps are fun but even after only having my car for a week I find them a novelty at best.

gremlin 10-23-2014 06:08 PM

So I picked up this cable from my local BMW dealer and it only sort of works. Phone charges and I can select and play songs from it, but no album art shows, pandora and mini connected don't work either, so I'm going back to my old cable with he 30 pin to lightning adapter.

Has anyone tried this cable with success yet?

gremlin 02-02-2015 10:36 AM

I don't know which cable I got from the BMW Dealer, but the Paceman facebook group suggested that the issue was I got the music version of the cable and not the connected version which is apparently part # 61 12 2 287 505 there is a claim this one will work with connected.

I'm going to call my BMW dealer find out if they can tell me which cable I tried.

jennayrich 02-15-2015 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by miniforeb (Post 3974013)
I really think this comes down to 2 factors:

1. Are you using the right cable (y cable)?
2. Are you using the right version of the software?

The current version of the software is in the file 100006.bin file (I am being lazy here but it is something like .305 in the Mini settings) and the cable needs to be this one (Mini Cooper Apple iPhone 5 5S Lightning USB Y Cable Audio Media Video Cord Music | eBay). The old one that had the "barrel like fuse" in line is the wrong one and most dealers don't know that, because they are not technical. The software also helps because the latest version cleaned up some issues with the iPhone connection. That cable is literally the newest one out there since it has the lightning adapter.

I hope that explanation helped.

Is this the same Y cable I should buy to use MINI connected with an iPhone 6?