Navigation & Audio Sirius XM coming to Apple CarPlay!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sirius XM coming to Apple CarPlay!

FYI

I’m a beta tester for the Sirius XM iOS app and they just released a test version that is compatible with CarPlay.

The app works well so far. Two nice features compared to the built in tuner - you can access on demand content and when looking at your favorite channels it shows what’s playing on each channel at that moment.

I was somewhat shocked to see them add CarPlay functionality as I figured this hurts their business model. Now I can just have the one subscription on my wife’s car with the app add on and let my Mini’s Subscription cancel when the free trial is over.

David

Old 11-20-2017, 05:30 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Mobile broadband and smartphones that can access Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Google Music and so on is an existential threat to Sirius. Anything that makes their content more valuable is important To them.

Today I noticed that Sirius appears to have accidentally reactivated my mini's receiver. I guess I get free Sirius for a while. But even during the "free" first year I didn't use it much. The audio quality of music is just not as clear as Apple Music or Spotify.

If the app provides better audio quality than the actual satellite broadcast then maybe Sirius had a chance to become a viable content provider outside their traditional satellite business.