NAM Alliance Magazine Feedback and Ideas Let us know what you think of the current issue and what ideas you have for future issues.

Whats wrong with the Alliance magazine?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ga1051
I was part of the PT Cruiser site and for the Pit Stop membership you got access to the service manual How To's . Also in that site was the Member How To's with photos of the installations of Mods and repairs, and TSB's and Recalls.
This was all in one place and when you did a search it took you to that thread. It cost extra for the Pit Stop site, but well worth the money. I like the magazine which I printed out for easy reading.
I think the Alliance would be worth it if we got things we do get else where.
Thanks
Gary
I looked into things like TSBs and recalls information. Unfortunately if you locate a copy of one of these there are legal statements by BMW limiting the distribution of the information beyond the dealerships. If it isn't something that we could legally distribute I didn't want to put the site and those helping to acquire the information at risk from a legal standpoint.

All that said if there is information that could be collected and legally distributed then let us know. What we have with the Alliance program is a subset of where I think it will be in a year. Regardless if its the magazine or the features of the membership program we're open to ideas on where it can be taken.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All TSBs

SHOULD BE available from the NTHSA (but I've found one or two missing) that you can have printed and sent to you for a small page copy and mailing fee. I think BMW/Mini is reaching when they claim that they can limit the distribution of the material. Don't fall for the bluster, get it and post it. now THAT would be a real service.

Matt

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was more the MINI service docs that were the issues, not the TSB. Those are copyrighted material and encrypted for the dealer only.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Then post the TSBs

and ask Gabe how he gets away with posting the factory install instructions over on Motoring file. Then figure out how to spin that it's worth paying money for something that's close to free elsewhere!

Matt

Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Mark
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
SHOULD BE available from the NTHSA (but I've found one or two missing) that you can have printed and sent to you for a small page copy and mailing fee. I think BMW/Mini is reaching when they claim that they can limit the distribution of the material. Don't fall for the bluster, get it and post it. now THAT would be a real service.

Matt
Can you tell me where to look in the NHTSA site? Is it recall information I'm looking for or some other type of document?

As for distribution of documents that BMW wants limited...I've been down legal paths with BMW before and its not something I wish to do again. Regardless, if there are documents and information that we can distribute I'm certainly open to looking into it.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Mark
and ask Gabe how he gets away with posting the factory install instructions over on Motoring file. Then figure out how to spin that it's worth paying money for something that's close to free elsewhere!

Matt
I wouldn't look to include this as part of the membership if we were to put that information up on NAM. Frankly since Gabe already has it easily available I don't know that its worth republishing it on NAM again.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dickdavid
I've been on the fence about the price. I didn't want to go down this road, because this isn't the place. However the topic has shifted a bit. BTW: Mods, if there is a more relevant thread to stick this post, please feel free to move it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the price is a good value for what you get and you're supporting this portion of the MINI community. Also, I have no problem with Mark, Nathan the new owners of this site OR anybody creating 'added' options to enhance the NAM experience and make a little money on the side. As long as the basic service is free and the option to upgrade is mine. Awesome.

I guess the reason I'm on the fence about the $40 price is because of my personal point-of-view of it's value. Here's how I, personally, break it down:

Larger Private Messaging Space - Although I think this is a great addition for MOST folks, I'm not a frequent user of this service.

Larger Personal Gallery Space - I pay and use flickr. It's a separate expense, but I get much more than 3x the regular gallery space. Also, the photography community over there goes beyond NAM (plus, I haven't used my free NAM gallery yet).

Custom Titles- No value to me.

Alliance Member designation in all your posts- Little value to me. Once membership caché picks up, this would change. Right now, it's a banner ad promoting the service - which is a good thing.

Custom Avatars - No value to me.

Custom Profile Pictures - No value to me.

NAM Garage Space - No value to me, only because I frequent other forums and I have a personal site for this. For others, this is a great tool.

Subscription to the NAM Alliance online Magazine - GREAT feature, but like other's have said, I'm going to assume that ad revenue is covering the cost of this. No printing and distribution hard costs, so hopefully the money is going to the folks putting it together.

NAM Alliance Magnetic Grille Badge - THIS IS AWESOME and, in fact, the one thing that's keeping me on the fence.

SO, here's how I break down the expense:
$0 - More gallery space - I would have given it $15 but I'm not giving up flickr, because the pro tools over there are awesome.
$5 - Other Site Upgrades - Like I wrote, these tools are great for most NAM users. From my perspective, I get these on other sites and they don't hold that much value with me.
$10 - Magazine - Although the ad revenues would cover the expenses, I consider this a donation to continuing the good work.
$10 - Badge - that's a fair price considering the going rate for magnetic badges. Unfortunately, not everybody is a badge fanatic as me.

So that equals a total of a $25 value for me. If the Alliance price were $25 (even $30) I would have jumped on it immediately. $40 just pushes it outside of MY perceived value. I'm not trying to nickel and dime NAM. Obviously, folks are joining like crazy and DO see it as a great value.

I pay $25 for my local club membership. Although I don't get everything Alliance offers, I do get to participate in events that our club puts together as well as discounts and deals.

Very excellent post.......and I would add that for my $40 I can get 2 monthly issues of magazines that offer much more value. The Alliance e-zine doesn't really offer much more than what one can find on the forums and other sites for free. It just doesn't really offer anything of value to me.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
PGT
Banned
this thread is about the content/appearance of the magazine, not a debate about the value/worth of the Alliance membership

Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Sorry for the earlier topic shift. After all we all know the real reason I haven't signed up yet - I'm just a cheap SOB. LOL! Honestly, I need to replace the sill plates on my Cooper first.

Back to the subject of the magazine. I agree about announcing new products or a product review section.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Mark
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Very excellent post.......and I would add that for my $40 I can get 2 monthly issues of magazines that offer much more value. The Alliance e-zine doesn't really offer much more than what one can find on the forums and other sites for free. It just doesn't really offer anything of value to me.
If it doesn't offer you any value then why are you posting here? There will be more things we roll out in the coming months (vendor discount program, etc) so its up to you and everyone else if you wish to spend $40.00 for a year of access. Its not being forced on you. Regardless its not something you have to decide now. If, in the future, you find something that tips the scale to where you want to spend it then you can join then.

In the meantime this thread was intended by Nathan to get feedback on what improvements and additions people would like to see in the magazine so let's get it back on track.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Mark
Sorry for the earlier topic shift. After all we all know the real reason I haven't signed up yet - I'm just a cheap SOB. LOL! Honestly, I need to replace the sill plates on my Cooper first.

Back to the subject of the magazine. I agree about announcing new products or a product review section.
I actually found your analysis helpful. If there are additional things you would like to see in the Alliance program I'd like to hear about them so feel free to start a thread in the NAM Alliance Membership Info and Support forum.

Thanks for the constructive feedback

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
I learned very early that if you don't have something nice to say to not say anything at all. Regardless, we provided a number of services and features that people have been asking for plus put together an online magazine. There will also be some additional features coming that will come out as soon as everything I need to get done for the Dragon are done. Personally I don't feel that I should be required to convince you to pay for a membership. You either choose to or not. Its your decision.

I'm glad that Nathan posted what he did because I was ready to post something along the same lines. As you seem to find so many things wrong with the site and me personally I still don't understand why you spend any time here. Perhaps its time to start a What's wrong with ScottInBend thread since I know there are plenty of people I've heard from that would like to give you some constructive feedback.

Mark
No need to convince me to do anything, nor am I trying to convince anyone to do anything either. But I refuse to be bullied by you or any other mod into changing my mind on issues posted on NAM. Why don't you read my first post in this thread. I thought it was a reasonable response to the OP. I didn't mention anything about the cost until others brought up their concerns about it. So I am not the only one to have difficulty justifying the cost. I can get subscriptions to 2 monthly magazines with much more information than what is currently available from NAM. So it doesn't have a lot of value to me.

I realize that the ad revenue from the NAM e-zine is not on par with Winding Road, but then again the overhead for Winding Road is much higher.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Mark
You're original post was regarding layout. That was actually useful feedback and something that we debated before bringing out the magazine.

Exactly how have I bullied you? Asking for you to provide constructive input versus snarky comments? I realize that you and some other people may have trouble justifying the cost of the membership program. That's okay. There will be other things added to it over time so perhaps, one day, you will see enough value in it. The only reason that I added the magazine to the membership program was that I wanted to offer something of value beyond increased private messaging space, etc. I plan to offer more things but I'm looking for the members of the site and the Alliance program to provide feedback on features that we could reasonably provide.

If additional commentary on the value of the membership program is to be discussed I'll start a thread for this the Info and Support forum. The thread is for constructive feedback on what people would like to see. In other words if you don't think that there isn't enough to justify $40.00 then tell us what could be added that would make it compelling.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Another great addition would be to add the winning images of the Photo contest. Maybe as a back cover option.

I wouldn't mind a photo exposé section like Bike Magazine - they have spreads of various pics of great ride destinations. I think a few spreads of great MINI photography or images shot while motoring would be awesome.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
You're original post was regarding layout. That was actually useful feedback and something that we debated before bringing out the magazine.

Exactly how have I bullied you?
Mark
Perhaps its time to start a What's wrong with ScottInBend thread

I would consider this bullying.

I have tried to be honest in my posts. Some may have been a bit "snarky" but as have been noticed by others, it is hard to convey emotions thru an impersonal medium such as this.

I will try and restrict my posts to being as constructive as possible, but I can't guarantee that they will always be acceptable. I believe that is what makes a community a community. Some may not like the thoughts and feelings of others, but that doesn't mean we should restrict, censure, or intimidate them.
I plan on reading the thread about improvements and hope to have some ideas for you.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Mark
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Perhaps its time to start a What's wrong with ScottInBend thread

I would consider this bullying.

I have tried to be honest in my posts. Some may have been a bit "snarky" but as have been noticed by others, it is hard to convey emotions thru an impersonal medium such as this.

I will try and restrict my posts to being as constructive as possible, but I can't guarantee that they will always be acceptable. I believe that is what makes a community a community. Some may not like the thoughts and feelings of others, but that doesn't mean we should restrict, censure, or intimidate them.
I plan on reading the thread about improvements and hope to have some ideas for you.
Fine. All I've asked for all along is that everyone take the time to convey their feelings in a "non-snarky" way. I've been not only been a software developer but a product manager most of my professional life. I'm used to and appreciate feedback and try to act on it as best I can. That said when I continually get negative feedback without constructive alternatives my brain starts to shut down. If you can provide some constructive input into that process it would be appreciated.

Mark

Old 03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Some comments on Ryans trailing arm article...

most of the info was there, but I found some things that weren't...

1) Why have a photo of the car at the top of the article? Most of what you see isn't anything about the trailing arms? Takes a lot of space...

2) OK, there's a photo of the empty wheel wheel. Looks nice, but what does that help with the how to?

3) There are two photos showing how the arm was modded for the Alta end-link. This is real information.

4) There's a photo of the bare Al arms. What does this show? The arms are shown in other photos, maybe a side by side with the old arm?

5) I found my arms weren't tapped for the speed sensor. This is an M6x1 tap for those that need to know. The bolts on the R53 aren't self tapping here.

6) I'd suggest tapping the holes for the lower shock attachment while the arm is off the car (have to do the ones for the bushing this way). Much easier to get the bolt lined up than when you're trying to get all the parts together on the car. Also, the lube on the new bolts is worn off on the old ones, I'd suggest using new ones there as well.

7) Earlier build R53s used different mount plates for the trailing arm bushing. Making an outline with a Sharpie doesn't really help, as it won't line up with the new plate, so early car owners should just put it in the middle. This is worth a mention.

8) I'd put a photo of the assembled arm before it's on the car. You can't really see how it all goes together on the completed job, and for some reason the REALOEM photos aren't coming through today, so there's some guess work involved when you assembly it yourself.

9) If you're going to the trouble of putting a table together of all the part numbers, might as well put the torques there as well.

10) A list of required tools is a nice touch as well.

11) I found that the clip on my bushing carrier that helps route the ABS sensor wire didn't have a good home on the new carrier, so I used a wire tie onto one of the lines that goes next to the fuel tank to keep it out of the way.

12) Since you'll be taking the whole rear brake assembly off as well, it's a good time to check rear pads or swap them out if it's on the list.

That's it! I guess I'd suggest that since it's an on-line journal, use lots, lots, lots of photos for the how tos, since you don't have to worry about page printing charges. This is especially true if you're goint to build a "how to" library for NAM or the Alliance members.

Matt

Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
PGT
Banned
All I've asked for all along is that everyone take the time to convey their feelings in a "non-snarky" way.
no more snarky??

Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Mark
No more snarky

Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
What if you offered up some sort of short "News At A Glance" page. I'm not talking current events, because you won't be able to compete with MotoringFile in getting the latest info into each publication.

I'm talking about spinning it as more about a "What happened in the last 2 months" kinda thing. Have it as a quick reference of relevant news information that's just documented and date stamped for retrospective reference. I time line of previous news.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another great addition would be to add the winning images of the Photo contest. Maybe as a back cover option.

I wouldn't mind a photo exposé section like Bike Magazine - they have spreads of various pics of great ride destinations. I think a few spreads of great MINI photography or images shot while motoring would be awesome.
I like this idea!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
7) Earlier build R53s used different mount plates for the trailing arm bushing. Making an outline with a Sharpie doesn't really help, as it won't line up with the new plate, so early car owners should just put it in the middle. This is worth a mention.
While the bushing pivot is different for early R53's versus later R53 and R56's, the bushing mount that butts against the chassis is the same outline, thus the Sharpie is a very good indicator of location.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Ry, normally we agree totally..

but the outline of the dust (no sharpie needed) was NOWHERE near what the new mount is. Maybe I'm just lucky.....

But you CAN use the overlay of the big hole to the inner side as a guide to the eye.

Matt

BTW, sorry if the tone in my critique wasn't my normal cheery self. Hadn't been a good day....

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
fixitgarage
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
While the bushing pivot is different for early R53's versus later R53 and R56's, the bushing mount that butts against the chassis is the same outline, thus the Sharpie is a very good indicator of location.
Hi ryphile could you please get in touch with me ?I would like to ask you if you came up with a fix for the yoyo problem.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Biggest issue with the magazine? Resolution and the overall layout. With low quality images....there isn't much reason to read an online magazine instead of just reading threads and looking at the pictures that are readily available online.

I'm not trying to be too critical. I'm just raising this for further discussion as I see it as a place for major improvement. Online magazines are hard because it's basically just information and images that you can find out in any forum.....so you've really got to step it up a notch in the quality of the images and the organization/layout to make it worth downloading. With the current image quality....I'd much rather just browse through threads where high quality images of the cars are available (for free). Again, not trying to bash anyone....just trying to help out and raise it as a topic for discussion/improvement.

Examples with the NAM magazine as seen at 100% in Adobe Acro Reader. I know Konky's photography and I know for a fact that the image was MUCH crisper than this pixelated image.

A comparison. Nam Magazine advertisement versus the image readily available on the company's website, and a quick 5 second job that I did resizing it to the required size (with a program I'm sure the designer has).

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 09-02-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats wrong with the Alliance magazine?