Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Miltek header question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miltek header question

anyone out there have the Miltek header? is it worth it? how much noise does it add? can you feel the power difference? which cat-back exhaust do you have with it?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2004, 08:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
anyone out there have the Miltek header? is it worth it? how much noise does it add? can you feel the power difference? which cat-back exhaust do you have with it?

Thanks
I have a Milltek exhaust header with Milltek Cat-back exhaust for the MCS. It's pretty expensive at about $900 for the header alone. It doesn't add much noise at all if mated with the right cat-back exhaust. But for some exhausts it is possible that the header could add to the exhaust noise. The Milltek header works more to help higher rpm torque and power and is best suited for a more free flowing exhaust (less restrictive).

I had the Milltek header and Quicksilver single sided exhaust on my MCS and felt that the exhaust noise was louder than with Quicksilver alone. Once I switched to Milltek exhaust it was less noisy and slightly more power.

If you have an MC then I would not suggest any exhaust header, just a good cat-back exhaust if you like. For the MCS and for most drivers just a cat-back exhaust should work fine. If you do autocross then make sure that your class allows for aftermarket headers. On the track and at high rpms you might make use of the header.

Some headers don't have the race catalytic converter that Milltek has and I would not recommend any header that doesn't have a cat- usually they are more noisy and there is no dyno evidence that they provide for more power. In fact some sources say that headers in general don't provide much power in any case even with race cat. Various designs are available for the MINI with 4 into 1 and 4 into 2 into 1 construction. It really doesn't make that much difference. You don't need a header for street use.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Skiploder
Banned
I also have both the header and exhaust.

I had the header on about a month before the exhaust. there was a slight difference in tone, and not much else (header only).

After bolting on the exhaust, the car felt freer revving. I really don't care what the dyno difference may be, the car sounds better and feels more responsive - so I'm happy with my choice.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:47 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Milltek header with JCW catback and yes it does make the JCW catback a little louder, the car does runs great at high revs.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
It doesn't add much noise at all if mated with the right cat-back exhaust.
At the Exhaust Shootout at the '04 MINI's on The Dragon; we consistently measured +3dB (twice as loud) on every cat-back with a header in front of it versus cat-back only.

The header is best for vehicles that have the rest of their "breathing" enhanced, and are looking to extract maximum high-RPM power. The gains will still be minimal, as the stock MINI header is quite good. For most, however, the improvement in musicality is worth the money.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:09 PM
seeya
2nd Gear
Minihune or anyone else with a complete Miltek system. Have you noticed how hot the system gets, or do I have a problem?

Looking at the exhaust just as it splits to go to the two rear silencers, it seem to be getting very hot, it has turned the exhaust a blue color. Is anyone else seeing this.

One other question, any idea on the CFM for the header.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by seeya
Minihune or anyone else with a complete Miltek system. Have you noticed how hot the system gets, or do I have a problem?

Looking at the exhaust just as it splits to go to the two rear silencers, it seem to be getting very hot, it has turned the exhaust a blue color. Is anyone else seeing this.

One other question, any idea on the CFM for the header.
Heat has not been an issue. When hot my exhaust tips to extend outward past the bumper and when cool they contract just under the valence. I never see them turn color. But then again I don't do long track and my exhaust header is wrapped from primaries to the first O2 sensor to contain heat.

For CFM you might ask Randy Webb for an estimate. Not sure if anyone knows the exact number but I would think that it is higher than the restrictive stock header. Interestingly from discussions we have had on the full engine/exhaust system, the header and exhaust may not be the limiting factor for performance (hence not much improvement with various headers). Other design contraints such as finish/ports in the cylinder head and exhaust port design are critical. Wouldn't you know it- everything from intake to exhaust is critical when you are only working with a 1.6 liter engine!

Thanks Ryan for pointing out the +3dB exhaust noise with header plus Cat-back. (measuring with a meter-I would believe that) My Quicksilver plus header was certainly louder inside the MINI and outside. I hadn't really noticed the same level of noise with the Milltek exhaust though. For those who have magnaflow and add a header just be prepared for mega noise- I've heard that combo from many blocks away.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:39 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have the Miltek header and catback. I agree with Skiploder here as I do feel a good difference with this system. THOUGH, I did put them on at the same time so I really don't know just how much of this is coming from the header alone. Very good mid range power and excellent high end.

I do intend to do the head and cam some day so this helped me justify the header expense. If you have the $$ to dump into a header I would say to go ahead and do it, but if you are worried about spending the $$ there are possible better things to spend it on.

I love my Miltek system!

Old 10-30-2004, 04:53 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
At the Exhaust Shootout at the '04 MINI's on The Dragon; we consistently measured +3dB (twice as loud) on every cat-back with a header in front of it versus cat-back only.

The header is best for vehicles that have the rest of their "breathing" enhanced, and are looking to extract maximum high-RPM power. The gains will still be minimal, as the stock MINI header is quite good. For most, however, the improvement in musicality is worth the money.
Thanks to all responding.

I have a Dinan intake , unichip, 15% and a Borla street. I pleased but not satisfied. I'm thinking of adding the header to the Borla first and then maybe going to the Miltek cat-back for the "full Miltek" experience. The Borla Street has a little nicer note than stock but Randy's site makes some power claims at reasonable volume levels for the Miltek.

BTW 3db is not exactly twice as loud. What 3db is, is a doubling of power. ex 100 watts -200watts = 3db increase as 500 to 1000 = 3db increase. depending on your base level 3 db could be a douling of volume or not. in the old days for live sound 3 db was considered the minimum increase before a volume change was perceived by the average person. If you go from 100 to 103 you won't think the level has doubled but if you go from 65 to 68 you might.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:14 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A word of caution to would be purchasers of the Miltek header. I have had three since July and each one had defective fitment of the primaries at the header flange. With the first, the 1 and 2 primaries were welded off center. The 2nd had an un-true flange and large gaps between the primary and flange, very sloppy. The 3rd had a gap on the #2 as well as a crack on the end of the primary. That pipe looked as if were torn instead of cut. The stock header may have gaps where the end of the primary is not welded flush with the flange, but the primaries are recessed into the flange providing some support behind the pipe. I have two stock headers and neither look as bad as the Milteks.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:21 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Where is the best place to order Miltek exhaust?

Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Stratmosphere
Former Vendor
We are the importer for Milltek. Happy to help or answer any questions. You can see us online or call Toll Free 1-866-533-1777. -Pete, Stratmosphere
http://www.stratmosphere.com/milltek_mini.htm

Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I've had Miltek header & exhaust for almost a year on my 03 MCS and just love the sound, quiet when you want it to be and yet when you floor it, it sings. I had rattling issue last month with my resonator sounded as if something was loose inside. I Emailed Stratosphere who immediately responded that they would ship a replacement and charge my card, then give me a credit when they received the defective part- They also paid for shipping both ways-Outstanding service for a 11 month old system-

My original resonator had something loose inside when you shook it.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:37 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by bgrpph

My original resonator had something loose inside when you shook it.
So that is where that half eaten tootsie pop ended up when Eric S was installing your exhaust on his back in your garage! I guess that's better than choking on the candy.

Mucho thanks to Pete at Stramosphere for his help on that fix all the way from NY to Hawaii.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:16 AM
MadMick
2nd Gear
The best combination is the supersprint header with the oem cat. The 200 cps cat brings you less torque.