1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now Motoring on the North Coast of Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now Motoring on the North Coast of Ohio

Greetings,

My wife and I are new MINI owners since last Saturday. So far it's been great fun, albeit, not much motoring because of the holidays.

We ordered our MINI November 10th after some lurking and reading on the forum. I found many tips and useful information that got us close to the perfect MINI for us. If I had read more or our salesman had been more forthcoming about features, it would have been better, but ordering a new car with so many different options to consider is not something we do very often.

Our MC is PW/wB, manual, premium, cold weather, sport, xenon, auto RV mirror, piano black, cream white color line, crome line interior, leatherette.

After the fact we are adding the rear fog light and mud flaps. Considered adding the iPod adapter, but will hold off for now and just use the aux in connection. Got the NAM discount on the parts, which is nice.

Drove our MINI to The Pub last night and had fish & chips! It was great fun.

Looking forward to learning more and sharing experiences.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM from central Georgia. I used to work driving around Akron , Youngstown and points No. and West on up in to Minn. and Wisc. It's got to be tough owning a MINI in the snow belt. My first MINI was a 04MC and I loved it. Have fun and happy motoring!!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
PPrince
1st Gear
Go in the Snow

Silverbullit,
Thank you for the welcome. We're north of Akron and right in the snow belt. Not sure how MINI will do in snow. It's been a very easy winter so far with almost no snow.

I've both read and heard differing acounts of how the MINI does in snow. If it doen't do too well, we will just have to put snow tires on her.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome

Congratulations on your new MINI. We're in Minnesota and do a bit of snow motoring. Not a problem.

We lived in Ohio, too, for a couple years. We were in Westerville, but my job had me going from Columbus, to Dayton, to Uniontown, PA, also to Youngstown and Cuyahoga Falls. Didn't have a MINI then. Never saw so many TRUCKS in my life! Anyway, enjoy your new ride and prepare for the time of your life. MINI's do fantastic in the snow.

Check this out:

http://www.mini.ca/en/More_MINI/Wint...g/default.aspx

I might spring for my first pair of snows after 3 years, since I just got a great deal on a second pair of wheels. My All Season 15's have done me fine so far. Motor on.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the world of MINIs....Congrats.....

Donna

Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jimmy_racoon
Congratulations on your new MINI. We're in Minnesota and do a bit of snow motoring. Not a problem.
jimmy,
Glad to hear you get around in the snow so well in Minnesota.

Our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter live in Minneapolis and just flew back home Friday after a wonder Christmas together. During our visits to Minnesota we have anyways enjoyed the abundance of sunshine. It seems to be much sunnier there than here on the North Coast of Ohio.

Thanks also for the video link. I've poked around the MINIUSA site alot and never noticed those videos, but i'm guessing that is MINI Canada?

Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Welcome!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM North Coaster! I grew up not too far from what was then becoming the Great Swamp Erie. I'm glad it's again becoming a great lake.

Your MINI sounds very nice. I love the PW/B. If you get bored come on down to one of our MINI morning breakfasts. The more MINI's the merrier.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...splay.php?f=46

Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Glad to see another MINI in Ohio! You should know, you gotta post pictures

Old 12-30-2007, 04:25 PM
PPrince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Welcome to NAM North Coaster! I grew up not too far from what was then becoming the Great Swamp Erie. I'm glad it's again becoming a great lake.

Your MINI sounds very nice. I love the PW/B. If you get bored come on down to one of our MINI morning breakfasts. The more MINI's the merrier.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...splay.php?f=46
Thanks Crashton for the welcome.

My good friend Pat Dailey likes to sing about the Great Swamp Erie, so I'm very familiar with that phrase. It is definitely a GREAT LAKE now!

I grew up in Mansfield and I know where MidOhio is located. Not sure if I can make it down for breakfast, but would like to sometime.

Feel free to keep me posted on your events.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I'm not far from you, just north of Detroit here.
I'm not an official Mini Owner yet (it has to ship from Nevada up here to Detroit) but I'm already enjoying these forums.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM
PPrince
1st Gear
jw34,

Glad to be here. I posted a few photos in my gallery, per your request.

Enjoy!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Great pics PPrince! Love the one with the sweet little one on her MINI.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
Welcome To You

Originally Posted by joshamman
Hey I'm not far from you, just north of Detroit here.
I'm not an official Mini Owner yet (it has to ship from Nevada up here to Detroit) but I'm already enjoying these forums.
Hey joshamman,

If I'm reading your post information correctly, that was your first post, so...
Welcome! (Just imagine, a newbie like me welcoming someone newer!)

You're right, Detroit is not too far. Is your MINI being shipped from another dealer? Hopefully on a truck and not being driven. Get ready for lots of fun.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:00 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM joshamman. They say the wait is part of the whole experience. Sounds like you will be motoring soon.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:23 AM
joshamman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes, and also welcome back at you PPrince!
I bought a used 05 S convertible and the one I liked best of course happened to be the one furthest away from me

I've been having dreams about it for a week now. Is that bad?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea, another Old Fart...Chuck send him an official Old Fart Motoring Club badge Better yet, motor on down the 3rd saturday of each month for MINI Breakfast at Tim Horton's in New Albany. Chuck posted the link for you and I'm sure that you can get your badge when you buy each of us Old Farts a donut

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 AM
BigGuy25
2nd Gear
PPrince ... here's another NEO Mini owner. I bought my '07 PW Cabrio Sidewalk in July and have REALLY enjoyed it. Last Friday evening we drove to Blossom Music center, turned on the heated seats, put the top down ... and enjoyed driving through their "Holiday Lights" display!! I've put snow tires on but haven't had enough snow yet to see how they work.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
PPrince, welcome to the gang. I also have a Pepper White MINI and live in Uniontown, just south of Akron. You're gonna love your new MINI. By the way, I'd recommend snow tires. If you do add snow tires pick up some MINI wheels either here on NAM or on e-bay. You'll like them a whole lot more than steelies. I see you bought your MINI at Classic. Be sure to attend their gathering next year, it's terrific.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
Oh yea, another Old Fart...Chuck send him an official Old Fart Motoring Club badge Better yet, motor on down the 3rd saturday of each month for MINI Breakfast at Tim Horton's in New Albany. Chuck posted the link for you and I'm sure that you can get your badge when you buy each of us Old Farts a donut
CHKMINI,
Who are you calling an Old Fart? I resemble that remark!

Thanks for the kind offer to buy you guys donuts. Our son lives in Columbus so we'll have to see if we can work it out sometime. I'm sure it would be fun. Not sure what our first road trip will be in the MINI.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BigGuy25
PPrince ... here's another NEO Mini owner. I bought my '07 PW Cabrio Sidewalk in July and have REALLY enjoyed it. Last Friday evening we drove to Blossom Music center, turned on the heated seats, put the top down ... and enjoyed driving through their "Holiday Lights" display!! I've put snow tires on but haven't had enough snow yet to see how they work.
BigGuy25,
Sounds like a trip through the Holiday Lights at Blossom would be great! My wife was hoping for snow before going back to work so she could "test drive" the MINI and she how it handles. Doesn't look like any snow soon, however. Oh well.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
PPrince
1st Gear
What Snow Tires?

Originally Posted by freez3
PPrince, welcome to the gang. I also have a Pepper White MINI and live in Uniontown, just south of Akron. You're gonna love your new MINI. By the way, I'd recommend snow tires. If you do add snow tires pick up some MINI wheels either here on NAM or on e-bay. You'll like them a whole lot more than steelies. I see you bought your MINI at Classic. Be sure to attend their gathering next year, it's terrific.
Hi freez3,

Glad to hear from you. What snow tires do you recommend? I'll start to keep my eyes open for some wheels to consider.

Yes, purchased at Classic. Looking forward to ANY gatherings involving MINIs!

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 AM
PPrince
1st Gear
It's Snowing!

The weather has turned from balmy back to winter and it is now snowing!

My wife wanted to drive the MINI in snow before heading back to work and now it looks like she will get her wish today. Forecast is for a couple of inches and we have a light coating on the ground now. The wind is pretty wicked right at the moment, however, close to blizzard conditions at times.

We'll head out later this afternoon and see if we can find some good snow accumulation and an open area to test drive in. I'll let you know how things go.

Cya.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM from SW OH!!! Happy New Year!! Snow is not a problem for MINIs with the right tires. We drive both of ours and garage the Miata!!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 AM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
Hi PPrince Person! Welcome to the land of MINIs and SNOW. I live on the edge of the snow belt in Auburn Township, close to Bainbridge and we do get the snow. The first winter I drove my '05 Cooper Automatic it was OK on the factory 15" Continentals, but not really that good. Next winter I bought some Blizzaks (15") from the Firestone guy Dave at Richmond Mall in Richmond Heights. Phone 440-461-4747. Ran about $400.00 installed for a set of 4. They improved the snowability of the MINI a bunch. I bought 17" S-Lites from a Club member and put the Firestone "Fusion" tires for summer use. Speed rated, directional tread, etc. etc. for about $105.00 each installed. Sounds like your '08 is really neat. Enjoy! Mike Predina Cell 216-469-0915

Last edited by MIKE PREDINA; 01-01-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clarify

Quick Reply: Now Motoring on the North Coast of Ohio