JCW 2016 F56 JCW Bike Carrying Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:36 PM
bradstyle
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 F56 JCW Bike Carrying Options

Hello All,

It's spring here in the Pacific NW and that means it's time to get out and ride!

I'm looking at roof rack and hitches options. A hitch would be my preferred method but it's not entirely clear to me that they can/will work with a 2016 F56 JCW, so I'm especially interested to hear if someone knows a brand (or an install method) that works.

I'm curious what other people with my car are doing to transport their bikes.

Thanks much!

Old 04-02-2017, 05:01 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bradstyle
Hello All, It's spring here in the Pacific NW and that means it's time to get out and ride! I'm looking at roof rack and hitches options. A hitch would be my preferred method but it's not entirely clear to me that they can/will work with a 2016 F56 JCW, so I'm especially interested to hear if someone knows a brand (or an install method) that works. I'm curious what other people with my car are doing to transport their bikes. Thanks much!
I'd like to see Crap Industries make a hitch that bolts onto the tow hook threads, like the one for the Countryman. On and off as needed. Until Then, I'll probably go with a Sea Sucker mount.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
I'd like to see Crap Industries make a hitch that bolts onto the tow hook threads, like the one for the Countryman. On and off as needed. Until Then, I'll probably go with a Sea Sucker mount.
Won't work on the JCW aero kit, unless you are willing to cut through the bumper.

VIPCustomParts sells a kit which includes the necessary extra tow hook receiver to mount inside the bumper which enables that kind of hitch or bike rack.

http://www.vipcustomparts.com/F56%20parts%20page.htm

Old 04-02-2017, 04:53 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a roofrack guy, have had way more of them than hitch mounts on my chariots in the past. The F56 has the best MINI OEM rack yet if....you ordered the roof rails for $250. I have read elsewhere that they can be retrofitted but it's a pretty involved job removing the headliner and $500 or so in parts, so almost $1000.
I ordered roof rails on mine, then bought the OEM cross bars and RockyMounts trays both on sale while the car was being built for around $400 total. I prefer front wheel off (less noise and drag) and have wheel bags to carry the fronts inside the car.
Not saying it's impossible, but the inherent problem with any type of hitchmount is that it's going to have to be above the centermount exhaust and will likely involve some cutting into the rear bumper cover. There is a place here in Houston that can custom make a receiver hitch for anything (that's usually well hidden when not in use) but they are in the $500-750 range for something like that.
Pretty sure Thule and Yakima offer roofrack solutions as well but they won't be quite as integrated as the OEM. Even though it doesn't require tools to mount/dismount, I leave mine on all the time as I'm using it 2-3 times a week and I think it adds to the sporty look of the car.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I am going the Sea Sucker route;