North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   What You Hate Most about Your Mini??? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/193308-what-you-hate-most-about-your-mini.html)

Naylia 01-29-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by esfreerider (Post 3668493)
I know it wouldn't be as close to the original but come on we all know we'd love it if our mini's where RWD

Is it wrong that I kind of like torque steer :thumbsup:

Braminator 01-29-2013 10:46 AM

come on we all know we'd love it if our mini's where RWD
Check these out.

Rgoodwin 01-29-2013 11:23 AM

I want the first one! Smart looks like an rc!

christomapher 01-29-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OhBe1 (Post 3668705)
FWD is essential to MINIosity. As is rear-engined RWD to Porsche 911, and should be to a Beetle; or front-engine RWD to a Mustang or my Miata.

A car that looked like a MINI and was RWD would have a weight distribution like my Tacoma, good for drifting but not handling. Unless, of course, you dumped the engine in the back seat. In either case, no longer a MINI.

If RWD was that important to you, you should have bought something else.

Disagree. If BMW can make a sensationally well-handling RWD 1-series hatch with a 50-50 weight balance, then they should be able to make a MINI with similar characteristics. Obviously the packaging has to be done differently, but there is no sense in comparing it to a pickup truck. Unlike a pickup, there would be plenty of weight in the rear for traction. Imagine a MINI with RWD and 50-50 weight balance... so much fun! It is very likely that this would never happen, mostly because a front engine+FWD configuration is much less expensive to produce and is better for interior volume, but it is theoretically possible.

Naylia 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by christomapher (Post 3668913)
sensationally well-handling RWD 1-series hatch with a 50-50 weight balance...

It's too bad they won't import that fabulous little car to the US :mad:

spiney 01-29-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Naylia (Post 3668919)

It's too bad they won't import that fabulous little car to the US :mad:

These are my favourite rental car when I go to Europe. The diesels are amazing!

Braminator 01-29-2013 12:42 PM

It's too bad they won't import that fabulous little car to the US
We have the 1 series here just not the hatch http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...1/default.aspx

christomapher 01-29-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Braminator (Post 3668954)
just not the hatch

Unfortunately.

6000pounds 01-29-2013 02:40 PM

the door hinge. either it's at 90 degrees or slowly creeping back to test my knee caps

Miniman s 01-29-2013 02:48 PM

The sunroof and it needs to be AWD. Why can't I find a carbon fiber or fiberglass plug for the sunroof. AWD to try to connect the rallying past into the modern day.

ViperNL 01-29-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by christomapher (Post 3668957)
Unfortunately.

The hatches are ugly, I don't like the droopy middle part

esfreerider 01-29-2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by OhBe1 (Post 3668705)
FWD is essential to MINIosity. As is rear-engined RWD to Porsche 911, and should be to a Beetle; or front-engine RWD to a Mustang or my Miata.

A car that looked like a MINI and was RWD would have a weight distribution like my Tacoma, good for drifting but not handling. Unless, of course, you dumped the engine in the back seat. In either case, no longer a MINI.

If RWD was that important to you, you should have bought something else.

Front engine rear tansaxle? I guess it was wrong of me to put it into a what do I hate thread but if a clubman and countryman are mini's why couldn't there be one that was RWD? It would be no less a mini then either of those.

astroBlackMetallic_Mini 01-30-2013 05:12 AM

hate changing the rear tail lights! super pita! cant fit hands inside that tiny space, then when you do, its mega-tetris to get that light holder out. Finally its out! now only another 20 mins to get it back in... wait, it doesnt fit!.. maybe if i twist it this way, while pulling that way, no, counter clockwise stupid!.... lol

buzzsaw 01-30-2013 01:41 PM

The oem dipstick is such a poor design. Just received my Cravenspeed dipstick and don't have to sweat the hassle and expense of fishing out a broken oem dipstick. Should have done this a long time ago.

dudleydoright 02-06-2013 09:35 AM

What I hate about my Mini

I hate the blind spot on my R57 and the lack of spare tire because I have a run flat tires.:mad:

Naylia 02-06-2013 09:44 AM

The blind spot disappears when you put the top down!

But in all seriousness - the prior owner of mine put these little fish eye mirrors (about 1.5" in diameter) on the side mirrors and they are really handy. Complete visibility of blind spot, and they show all the way to the ground which is helpful when backing up sometimes.

Luckyelfie 02-06-2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Naylia (Post 3674026)
The blind spot disappears when you put the top down!

But in all seriousness - the prior owner of mine put these little fish eye mirrors (about 1.5" in diameter) on the side mirrors and they are really handy. Complete visibility of blind spot, and they show all the way to the ground which is helpful when backing up sometimes.

Where on the mirror did they place them? I bought some but not sure if they go on inside corner or where?

Naylia 02-06-2013 01:32 PM

At the very top/center of the curve in the mirror. Seems to work pretty well.

enatal 10-17-2014 03:38 AM

The Local MINI Service Center. they take at least three days to get the car fixed.

patchelect 10-17-2014 06:16 AM

The window motor problem. It seems that it isn't a case of IF, but WHEN you will need to replace them.

And the PS pump on the pre '06. THAT has a 150K 13 month recall in effect, IF you can make contact with them and get a response. Otherwise you are SOL. That job cost me about $900.

The silly beepers that tell you you are about to hit the thing you can see behind you in the verts. A mirror camera would have been nicer.

But in defense of the car, when it is running right and things are working, I can't recall anything as much fun to drive, and I just came out of a '94 Miata.

BMBULBE 10-17-2014 06:46 PM

Here's what I dislike in order from highest to lowest:
1. Getting my pants cuff stuck in the adjuster for the driver's seat
2. No compass
3. No real gauges (especially coolant temp and oil pressure)

Tommy Kardinal 10-20-2014 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfeee (Post 3097301)
brake dust...:thumbsup:

oh my god the brake dust I don't even want to think about it
Might as well buy the black wheels.

Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI (Post 3097377)
I hate the seatbelts. They always get stuck inbetween the seat and the door and then I have to crack open the door in order to get the seatbelt on.

I also would not get the sunroof again. Too many squeaks and rattles and it gets sooo hot inside the car in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy another MINI in a heartbeat!!!!

Boy do I have a story about the seatbelts. My dad was in the passenger seat one day and upon getting out and unbuckled the belt got caught between the seat and the height adjustment arm. For some reason the belt tension thing was activated (lol at my knowledge of seat belt mechanisms). So here we are, the belt is stuck in the crevasse and I can't get it out because I can't pull the seat belt further since its all tensioned up. Also my dad sits almost all the way back, so moving the seat back and thus moving the crev where the belt was stuck didn't wasn't an option. Also because of the location of the seat the screw that holds the seat belt at the bottom of the door sill wasn't accessible. The seat couldn't be moved forward to access it since the belt was holding it back. Finally had to go to the dealer and have them do some magic to get everything back to normal. So yeah, f the seat belts.

But I love basically everything about my r56. I wish it had the new nav and HUD from the 2015s but there's nothing I really hate about it. The fit and finish could be better and not rattle and squeak as much but it's not to the point where it's unbearable. I wish the clutch pedal wasn't plastic in the non-s though. I also wish the sunroof was auto-slide. Maybe mine is broken or something but I can get it to auto-tilt with one touch, but if I want to slide it back I have to hold it. That's very annoying.

Nicefeet 10-20-2014 02:48 PM

Some will disagree, but on the first gen:

They should have partnered with Honda to build a high revving NA engine. It seems like every forced induction engine BMW designs has a major issue.

They should have offered a club sport model that was devoid of every power option with the exception of aircon. The aircon controls will be a simple arrangement with sliders rolling back to 1989 Civic style. I even want cloth seats with no heaters.

I biggest gripe about my MINI is what I perceive as poor parts support, buried service information and a poor dealer network.

My town has Merc, Porsche, Audi, VW, FIAT, dealers, but BMW/MINI is nowhere to be found unless you want a three-hour car ride.

MINI Gunner 10-21-2014 03:15 PM

Wow, this thread has been going on for some time. Might as well add mine.

Dislikes:
Cabin noise (I really wish the car was more quit from road noise and squeaks)
Dipstick (yup, need to get a Craven)
Lack of usable cup holders (I use the one for the back seat, lol)
Not enough mods (need 30 more HP)

There are lots of things people mentioned that don't bother me. Some of the stuff you just have to understand it's a small car and deal with it.

On the flip side.....
Sound of the SC winding up (wiz, wiz, wizzzz, music to my ears)
Leather Seats (I find mine quit comfortable, I do wish they were automatic though)
Oil gauge, Battery gauge (one of the perks of owning an MC40. also I noticed some don't have engine temp gauges? mine does.)
European reverse (although sometimes I miss, lol)
Smooth clutch (I don't know about other Mini Coppers but mine is perfect)
Availability of aftermarket mods/parts

You have to admit that last one is huge. Even though parts are expensive and often take time to ship they are out there, and there are lots of them. Could you imagine having a Mini and not being able to upgrade/mod. And for the "S" crowd, adding 20hp could only cost you $100 for a 15% pulley and a few hours. How many cars have that option. I'm just saying the market for mods and parts is pretty damn good. If you can think of something you want to do to your Mini, it is probably out there.

jonw9 10-21-2014 04:58 PM

I hate that I cannot unlock the doors without hitting the switch in the center of the dash. Double pull does not work (cabrio). Along the same lines, I hate that the only way I can lock the doors is with the remote, as hitting the lock button before getting out does nothing.

If I could fix those two thinks then I would never need to take the key from my pocket.