R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony

I must admit it is has been somewhat overwhelming for me to learn about the Countryman, especially since I am new to the MINI brand.

The sheer number of controls and function within MINI Connected/Nav is keeping me up at night - literally. In my few dives of ownership, I have spent more time in the drivers seat just fiddling with things while the car is idling than actually driving the car.

Perhaps we can use this thread to post questions and provide feedback for features and functionality related to the MINI Connected with/without Nav system. There are just so many possibilities of what can be done.

Thus far, I have managed to:

Attach my iPod (pre-Classic 80GB)
-play music with album art display
-play video (iTunes TV show) - PROBLEM: VIDEO BUT NO AUDIO? Why?

Attach USB flash drive with MP3 files
-play music with album art display, playlists are supported too

Connect BlackBerry Storm2 via Bluetooth
-displays all contacts
-marked numerous contacts to be stored in the MINI's "Office"
-able to stream audio over Bluetooth (music files on phone and Slacker Radio) - this is pretty cool but I will probably never use it.

Navigation
-use Office contacts to set destination
-use voice control to set destination

MINI Connected app on iPad
-just for kicks I loaded the MINI Connected app on my iPad to see what it does, it does work as advertised though I only spend a few minutes playing with it.

Any ideas on why no audio for iPod videos? I checked the one TV show I loaded from iTunes (I never used the iPod for video before) and there is audio, just not playing through the system for some reason.

The system is very powerful and sometimes not as intuitive as I would like. I think using the voice control will help. For instance, if you are playing a music track from your iPod and want to change the bass/treble, it is pretty daunting to get to Tone controls. I believe that you can use voice control to call up the Tone menu simpy by saying "Tone". Still need to try it.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
jake703
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions. First, do I need to get the bluetooth package separate to utilize any bluetooth functionality or does connected include that?

Second, what does adding navigation get you besides, well, the navigation icon and maps. The pictures show a different screen color but is it essentially the exact same unit without the maps or is there other functionality? I assume both units use the joystick and no touch screen?

I am sort of bummed about it not being a touch screen but as a heavy iphone app user I don't think I could stand not having it if some really impressive apps are added.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jake703
I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions. First, do I need to get the bluetooth package separate to utilize any bluetooth functionality or does connected include that?

Second, what does adding navigation get you besides, well, the navigation icon and maps. The pictures show a different screen color but is it essentially the exact same unit without the maps or is there other functionality? I assume both units use the joystick and no touch screen?

I am sort of bummed about it not being a touch screen but as a heavy iphone app user I don't think I could stand not having it if some really impressive apps are added.

Thanks in advance!
Connected includes the comfort Bluetooth option also requires the center armrest.

The nav option adds a full GPS system complete with real-time traffic and dynamic routing capabilities. With Nav, you can select a contact from your BT connected phone and set it as your destination. You can use Google search via Connected and send address to nav. Plus all the standard things you expect from a good nav system.

Honestly, I just don't understand why anyone would order Connected without Nav. Connected at $1000 is an awfully expensive prerequisite for the $750 nav, perhaps it should be vice versa. If it were I may have ended up with nav and no Connected since I don't own an iPhone yet, but am now glad to have both.

Yes, everything is controlled with the joystick or voice commands. No touch screen. By the way, voice commands are very effective for entering destination address.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Attach my iPod (pre-Classic 80GB)
-play music with album art display
-play video (iTunes TV show) - PROBLEM: VIDEO BUT NO AUDIO? Why?
Tried another video on my iPod and still no audio. Checked every setting I could find. I am stumped. Shouldn't is play the audio too?

Has anyone played video on their Connected and heard the audio?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tried another video on my iPod and still no audio. Checked every setting I could find. I am stumped. Shouldn't is play the audio too?

Could it have anything to do with the model/age of the iPod?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Could it have anything to do with the model/age of the iPod?
Suppose that is possible but it does work flawlessly for music including album art display and videos do play correctly except there is no audio. I don't really anticipate ever playing videos in the car other than to show off the system but would like to understand what the problem is and how to fix it.

Surely someone here has played videos. I'll have to try on my iPad and see if it works.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps we can use this thread to post questions and provide feedback for features and functionality related to the MINI Connected with/without Nav system. There are just so many possibilities of what can be done.
Just a thought...you might improve the rate of return on posts if this very useful thread were in a more inclusive place than the Countryman forum. There will be a lot of R55/R56/R57 owners with MINI Connected +/- Nav that are likely seeking similar enlightenment.

The 2nd Gen Navigation and Audio forum would be a nice home.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Just a thought...you might improve the rate of return on posts if this very useful thread were in a more inclusive place than the Countryman forum. There will be a lot of R55/R56/R57 owners with MINI Connected +/- Nav that are likely seeking similar enlightenment.

The 2nd Gen Navigation and Audio forum would be a nice home.
I thought about that and even posted on site feedback that a unified forum for Connected probably makes sense. Are you able to cross post this to the other forum or move it and leave a redirector stub?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I got connect only no Nav. I persoanlly think what they charge for a factory unit is a joke. I almost wish I did order it on my JCW because I have about everything else. If you want traffic info you will pay every month. For $169 I have a Tom Tom I take every where I go. I know it well and it is easy to use.
All my buddies have nice Range Rovers, MB, BMW etc. Niether there wifes or them every use there Nav systems. They all use a portable Tom Tom or Garmin becasue they are easier to use. Also the Tom Tom has Free traffic for life. BMW is one of the worst ones. I Drive- Kill me now. I love the Connect feature with the album art, modern look and just fun to use. If you are running Nav that is all your going to see pretty much. I can be running my Tom Tom and still using the connect screen for music, etc. The Coonect feature was spendy but you get the arm rest free- 250. Plus it wired for direct connect and recharging which is a few hun. Then you get Comfort Blue Tooth which works awesum with my Droid phone. Connect is pretty cheap when you add in the freebies. I got the nav it would have been free with the rebates they have on certain items. Comfort pkg is another along with Auto tranny I think.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
I got connect only no Nav. I persoanlly think what they charge for a factory unit is a joke. I almost wish I did order it on my JCW because I have about everything else. If you want traffic info you will pay every month. For $169 I have a Tom Tom I take every where I go. I know it well and it is easy to use.
All my buddies have nice Range Rovers, MB, BMW etc. Niether there wifes or them every use there Nav systems. They all use a portable Tom Tom or Garmin becasue they are easier to use. Also the Tom Tom has Free traffic for life. BMW is one of the worst ones. I Drive- Kill me now. I love the Connect feature with the album art, modern look and just fun to use. If you are running Nav that is all your going to see pretty much. I can be running my Tom Tom and still using the connect screen for music, etc. The Coonect feature was spendy but you get the arm rest free- 250. Plus it wired for direct connect and recharging which is a few hun. Then you get Comfort Blue Tooth which works awesum with my Droid phone. Connect is pretty cheap when you add in the freebies. I got the nav it would have been free with the rebates they have on certain items. Comfort pkg is another along with Auto tranny I think.
To each his own but...
There is no extra charge or monthly fees for real-time traffic
The armrest is not included or free, it is a prerequisite and costs $250

Didn't mean for this thread to turn into a debate about the relative value of the systems; purpose is to help expose all the features and functionality and help resolve usage issues.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
I didn't know the traffic feature is free on the MINI. You are wrong about the armrest. Was required but it was clearly NC Included on the invoice. The MINI USA build site showed at $250. My car came to $37,000 on the site. When we did the build MA called and said it came in at $36,750 because the Armrest was included at NC and included. When it came in that is how it also showed at purchase. At least on a JCW Hardtop.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
jake703
1st Gear
Thanks so much for the great info! Are their voice commands for anything in connect outside of the nav? My dealer has not received any with connect so this info is really helpful.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear

What cable do u have?? Are u sure that they gave u the right one?? You cannot play video trough the standard white usb cable

Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear

Honestly, I just don't understand why anyone would order Connected without Nav. Connected at $1000 is an awfully expensive prerequisite for the $750 nav, perhaps it should be vice versa. If it were I may have ended up with nav and no Connected since I don't own an iPhone yet, but am now glad to have both.
Here in europe these are the prices

Navi: 1600€ (2142$)
Visual boost: 990€ (1325$)

BUT..... you need to pay Connected as an extra!!

Connected: 260€ (348$)

I didn't like to pay 600€ more for a navi function that can be perform in the same way (maybe better) with a 150€ TomTom....
As i wrote before, i just ordered the Visual boost without Connected because at the moment it doesn't offer a "pay back" for the 260€ more.... If in the future they will add some cool and useful function i'll do the upgrade (but im sure that since its just a software upgrade, u'll be able to find it for cheaper and why not, for free :D )

Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
I didn't know the traffic feature is free on the MINI. You are wrong about the armrest. Was required but it was clearly NC Included on the invoice. The MINI USA build site showed at $250. My car came to $37,000 on the site. When we did the build MA called and said it came in at $36,750 because the Armrest was included at NC and included. When it came in that is how it also showed at purchase. At least on a JCW Hardtop.
Not correct for Countryman. This is a Countryman forum and that is what I am referring to. The armrest is $250 without question.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nimrandir
What cable do u have?? Are u sure that they gave u the right one?? You cannot play video trough the standard white usb cable
I have the standard Y cable that is provided in the US. The AV part of the Y sends the video signal.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nimrandir
Here in europe these are the prices

Navi: 1600€ (2142$)
Visual boost: 990€ (1325$)

BUT..... you need to pay Connected as an extra!!

Connected: 260€ (348$)

I didn't like to pay 600€ more for a navi function that can be perform in the same way (maybe better) with a 150€ TomTom....
As i wrote before, i just ordered the Visual boost without Connected because at the moment it doesn't offer a "pay back" for the 260€ more.... If in the future they will add some cool and useful function i'll do the upgrade (but im sure that since its just a software upgrade, u'll be able to find it for cheaper and why not, for free :D )
Wow that is expensive. Clearly my comments are only applicable for US models.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jake703
Thanks so much for the great info! Are their voice commands for anything in connect outside of the nav? My dealer has not received any with connect so this info is really helpful.
Voice commands can be used to switch the screen to almost any main menu and in many cases can also change settings. All of the voice command options are listed in the manual. By the way, the manual found online in the Owners Lounge is not the same as the manual provided with my car.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Voice command works on my Droid with connect for dialing numbers, etc.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
I have the standard Y cable that is provided in the US. The AV part of the Y sends the video signal.
for what i've read there are 2 different Y-cable (but they look the same)! U should check the number of urs and see if it's the correct one!!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
cyberwoozle
3rd Gear
By the way, the manual found online in the Owners Lounge is not the same as the manual provided with my car.
but I've memorized every page already, I have to learn something new?!?!

... back to the topic in hand, have you tried playing a video from the iPad?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM
lhigham2317
2nd Gear
Center armrest is $250.00 factory installed for Countryman and other MINI models. Your monroney sticker may show Comfort Bluetooth on non-Countryman models which is $250.00 more than just the Bluetooth/USB ipod adaptor because it includes the armrest.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cyberwoozle
but I've memorized every page already, I have to learn something new?!?!

... back to the topic in hand, have you tried playing a video from the iPad?
The online version doesn't have chapters for Nav or Connected.

Haven't tried iPad yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
tx-G-pa
1st Gear
Midnight Blue - Thanks for getting this thread started. I can't help you now but it will be a great reference when I get my CM in March. Keep on working out the kinks!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Strange that the armrest is free and included on a hardtop but you have to pay $250 if its in a countryman. I guess with the demand for a new model they can get it.

Quick Reply: R60 Connected/Nav: Audio,Video,Telephony