R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Clutch slipping and no smell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:57 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slipping and no smell?

A couple weeks ago our Paceman All4 was flat bedded to Mini of Cleveland.
It appeared, or acted like the clutch was slipping. I could put it in gear, start off and the motor would rev like the clutch was slipping but there was no smell. The car would go about 10-15 MPH, no odd sensations with the pedal either. shift into second and nothing more than 10-15 mph. No clutch material burning smell. Upon arrival, the car exhibited the same problem. Later in its stay, it acted normal like any other car....no issue. It had 36034mi on the clock, is a CPO (warrantied up to 75k miles.) I thought "You keep that SOB, I do not want it back". It acted up for them late last week and they tore into it on Monday. It is Tuesday and I have been informed it is ready for pickup and a clutch replacement was done at no charge to me. Yay, good for me, Thank You MINI.
Will a clutch be intermittently bad? I have a Class A CDL and drive and own Heavy trucks and have replaced my fair share of clutches and transmissions. I cannot remember a clutch not working on and off like that. I'm analytical and will have to play 20 questions when I go pick it up, just because I want to know and understand.

Anybody have this happen to them?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Depending on your production date, MINI started using the JCW clutch set up in the R60's and R61's as the one from factory were not up to the task of handling the power. They also replace the clutch spring for the pedal same time.
There's a TSB on it.
Seen bunch of R60 owners get new clutches installed with these updated parts, and MINI covered it.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
I will have to check the TSB. Was told last night the flywheel had come apart and took out the clutch.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:02 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
TSB ? newB Question

TSB On Clutch do you have a number for this? Sorry for the newB question. Ive never had MINI look up a TSB, How do I go about this? Just call Dealer. Or can I look up this info for my self. Thanks newB out.
PM

Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Update. I found out that an F56 clutch was put in. Clutch action/engagement is smooth and soft. Fine by me if it lasts 100k miles, no complaints. Mini paid for it.