F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Cooper SE Countryman ALL 4 - PHEV. Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Karrock
I know it's more practical and MINI wouldn't have made the SE a plug-in if they didn't want their owners to have the flexibility (though really it's just what trickled down from the i8 and 2-Series ActiveTourer 225xe) but even their own marketing downplays the feature with statements like "Charging is optional" and "Plugging in is entirely optional".

As I've said before, I DON'T have the ability to charge at home (townhouse, no garage) or work (ChargePoints installed but operationally in limbo) so I'm trying to discover what I can obtain from its hybrid benefits.
I read that once the battery get to 10% level you will have to plug in to recharge. So if you drive in "Save" mode all the time, eventually the battery charge is going to drop significantly.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Islandbluemini
I read that once the battery get to 10% level you will have to plug in to recharge. So if you drive in "Save" mode all the time, eventually the battery charge is going to drop significantly.
But doesn't it function like a hybrid? Energy return systems from regenerative braking, etc? For the SE, it's granted that without the electric motor you lose the rear drive wheels and a considerable amount of HP but non-plug-in hybrids continuously juice up their own battery systems and never need to be plugged in to begin with.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
But doesn't it function like a hybrid? Energy return systems from regenerative braking, etc? For the SE, it's granted that without the electric motor you lose the rear drive wheels and a considerable amount of HP but non-plug-in hybrids continuously juice up their own battery systems and never need to be plugged in to begin with.
Yes, but I remember also seeing a short video where someone asked your question. Response was once the charge drops down to 10% you do have to plug it in as it would not gather enough regeneration from braking.

Now I'm curious as well.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:54 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Found video with your question:

Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Bummer looks like registration on hybrids is going up $100 per year so we can pay our fair share of the highway maintenance. I did the math and will put me at about 50% higher than my R60 for annual road tax which was about $149 per based on my 13k. Now I will be $91 plus Plus the flat $100 flat charge.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 AM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Bummer looks like registration on hybrids is going up $100 per year so we can pay our fair share of the highway maintenance. I did the math and will put me at about 50% higher than my R60 for annual road tax which was about $149 per based on my 13k. Now I will be $91 plus Plus the flat $100 flat charge.
You want a real bummer? Register your car in CA.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It is almost 2 weeks and I drove mostly in city routes for over 300 miles. About 3 gallons of gas are left

It is very convenient that each key is bind to the corresponding profile. I bought a MINI Key Fob with intergrated NFC chip for my wife's key to identify. It looks like a Pokémon Ball

Last edited by pyuhlu; 09-09-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:40 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So finally got to Test Drive one of these today. Does is really not have Automatic seat adjustment? The dealer told me only the non-EV ones do.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HowardPM
So finally got to Test Drive one of these today. Does is really not have Automatic seat adjustment? The dealer told me only the non-EV ones do.
Power seats are an "option". Otherwise, you get manual and seat adjustment is limited.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
The power seats are an option and the seat position on the driver side can be memorized to user profiles and corresponding keys. When you access the car with the key, the seat will be adjusted automatically with your profile

you probably test drove the base SE with the manual seats

Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Seat auto adjusting was set off when we got ours and we had to turn on. Also had to turn off the screen that wanted to confirm which drive you were each time you started the car and just go by the keys.

Headed to her first Packer game today and will get her third fill up.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pyuhlu
The power seats are an option and the seat position on the driver side can be memorized to user profiles and corresponding keys. When you access the car with the key, the seat will be adjusted automatically with your profile

you probably test drove the base SE with the manual seats

Thanks, I thought it was odd when the salesman told me that. He actually didn't seem to know much. He couldnt even figure out how to get the car in Electric mode.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Seat auto adjusting was set off when we got ours and we had to turn on. Also had to turn off the screen that wanted to confirm which drive you were each time you started the car and just go by the keys.

Headed to her first Packer game today and will get her third fill up.

Mine still has the 1st tank filled up by the dealership with 3 gallons left and 330 miles. Let me see if I can reach 400 miles in the city routes

Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HowardPM
Thanks, I thought it was odd when the salesman told me that. He actually didn't seem to know much. He couldnt even figure out how to get the car in Electric mode.
Sounds like he didn't do his homework!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Mine still has the 1st tank filled up by the dealership with 3 gallons left and 330 miles. Let me see if I can reach 400 miles in the city routes
Good going Really getting excited now! Only 3 more days until my SE docks in NY Hoping to have it home early next week!

I know you can enter time/settings to cool the inside on hot days. Can you also set for heat in winter time? Wondering about remote start available.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 AM
jtcooper
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a trend you have been seeing for the charging rates of the battery by the gasoline engine? I am considering getting an SE, but not sure if it's right for my commute, which consists of 26 miles each way, of which about 6-10 of it are city. I would plan to leave the house every day with a full battery charge, and on some days can charge up at work. I'm hoping that I would be able to get at least 45 mpg with my main commute.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jtcooper; 09-12-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jtcooper
Is there a trend you have been seeing for the charging rates of the battery by the gasoline engine? I am considering getting an SE, but not sure if it's right for my commute, which consists of 26 miles each way, of which about 6-10 of it are city. I would plan to leave the house every day with a full battery charge, and on some days can charge up at work. I'm hoping that I would be able to get at least 45 mpg with my main commute.

Thanks in advance!
Normally it takes up to 30 seconds for 1% charging from a gas engine . You may try Save battery mode in highway and hybrid/ electric mode in city . It took 1.5 hours to charge the battery for 4kwh at the public charging station last time

Sometimes you may reserve the electricity on the battery for for fast acceleration via eBoost or 4All mode in the winter

Last edited by pyuhlu; 09-12-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Good going Really getting excited now! Only 3 more days until my SE docks in NY Hoping to have it home early next week!

I know you can enter time/settings to cool the inside on hot days. Can you also set for heat in winter time? Wondering about remote start available.
Have not tried to set heat yet because we still use AC sometimes

As to remote start, the Hybrid mode is default and the electricity will be used to drive the motor first. I don't think you need to start the car remotely

Old 09-12-2017, 06:13 AM
Islandbluemini
4th Gear
Have not tried to set heat yet because we still use AC sometimes

As to remote start, the Hybrid mode is default and the electricity will be used to drive the motor first. I don't think you need to start the car remotely
Thanks

So you can set to heat cabin as well. That's what I had thought.

Makes sense regarding no remote start.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 AM
jtcooper
1st Gear
Normally it takes up to 30 seconds for 1% charging from a gas engine . You may try Save battery mode in highway and hybrid/ electric mode in city . It took 1.5 hours to charge the battery for 4kwh at the public charging station last time

Sometimes you may reserve the electricity on the battery for for fast acceleration via eBoost or 4All mode in the winter
Thanks for the info. It sounds as if > 45 mpg could be reasonable (if I were to use all 12 (?) miles of electric, and then ~ 40 miles of gas for highway (adding approx 10% battery while using approx 1 gallon) on my daily round trip...?

My wife would be the primary driver - unfortunately she doesn't have a charging station at work, while I do. If we carpool, then I could charge at work. Based on the time you provided, it seems it would take 3 hrs for me to charge back to a full battery. Does the car have some sort of battery capacity cut off? I can probably head out on my break to unplug the car, but don't want to always have to worry about it (my shifts are typically 8 hrs).

Old 09-12-2017, 08:52 AM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
If the battery is fully charged, the charging stops and the light around the charging slot turns green

I have an EV charging card from SemaConnect and the app will show the charging status and available charging plugs. If you don't see charging any more, it means that the battery is fully charged. I may need another card from ChargePoint

Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 PM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Finally the 1st tank filled up by the dealership was used up with 502 miles and 50.2 mpg. Mostly drove in the city with average 17 mph

Last edited by pyuhlu; 09-16-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 PM
jtcooper
1st Gear
I took the car for a test drive the other day and can confirm that after starting the drive with the car's battery at 9%, it got charged up to 24% during a brief highway drive.

Can't wait for ours to come!

The following users liked this post:
Karrock (09-26-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 PM
pyuhlu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jtcooper
I took the car for a test drive the other day and can confirm that after starting the drive with the car's battery at 9%, it got charged up to 24% during a brief highway drive.

Can't wait for ours to come!
When the battery is below 10%, the gas engine will be kicked in and the battery will be charged until more than 10 %. The motors then are kicked in again if needed until below 10%. Normally I avoid it by changing to the batter save mode until the sufficient charge is reached

I have driven my car for one month and average mpg is 56 with 2nd gas tank. More charging will improve the mpg

Last edited by pyuhlu; 09-24-2017 at 07:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Karrock (09-26-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the real world vibe of this review by HybridCars.
http://www.hybridcars.com/2018-mini-...hybrid-review/