F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Auto Climate Control - Not FULLY Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Climate Control - Not FULLY Auto

Me dumb-dumb.

I just learned today that the Auto in climate control does not mean auto fan speed.

I though my AC was underperforming - then read the owners manual -- carefully in the climate control area.

Auto controls whether the AC or Heat needs to run, controls the direction of flow from the vents, does not control the intensity of the fan.

Posting this because if seen other posts say AC under-performing ...

Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What? You think auto means auto?

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM
caltrinity
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zazoh
Me dumb-dumb.

I just learned today that the Auto in climate control does not mean auto fan speed.

I though my AC was underperforming - then read the owners manual -- carefully in the climate control area.

Auto controls whether the AC or Heat needs to run, controls the direction of flow from the vents, does not control the intensity of the fan.

Posting this because if seen other posts say AC under-performing ...
absolutely correct. similar to BMW models as well.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:35 AM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep - I've never been in any BMW product that has been able to master auto climate control yet. Not sure why. In all my other cars it's literally set it and forget it. BMW/MINI definitely get points deducted for their HVAC controls and configurations.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The 2nd Gen MINIs with auto climate control used to have full control over fan speed, but everyone complained because on a cold start, the fans would go full blast to try and reach the target temperature as quick as possible.

The new auto climate let's you control the intensity of the fans - if you want them to go full blast if needed, you can just crank the center dial up all the way. I personally like to keep it at about half or lower. Fan speed can go down, but it won't go past that point.