F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillM
Update: Just got a call, bearing inspected as fine. Reassembled and ready for pickup. Hopefully that's the end of my car's story as far as this issue goes.
I guess that's good...but if I had 50k miles I'd been hoping for a new motor.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow. I'm with VYPUR. With 23K on my clock, I'd go for the new motor.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Heck, I've only got 11K on mine and I'm hoping for a new motor.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Yea I'm hoping for a new motor also...all the trouble I've had with mine.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
I love how everyone is hoping for a new motor, (me included) This situation reminds me of the v8 fiasco BMW suffered in the 90s with nikisil/alusil sulfur issues. Where even though at 150,000 miles there will be no way this issue causes engine failures everyone will ask "has the engine been replaced" and somehow cars will be worth more with the new engines.

Of course, the e34 is one of BMW's best kept secret, and if this MINI turns out the same I'll be over the moon. And in my opinion, with the number smiles per mile I get in my MCS I bet it will.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Already have a new transmission might as well have the set.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Just hope they have mine ready before The Dragon.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by vypur
just hope they have mine ready before the dragon.
+1

Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two weeks after posting this thread, I finally took mine in for inspection. The dealer has been swamped with people coming in for the TSB; they had the car for two days before they could throw it on the rack.

My service adviser called a few hours ago to tell me they found gouging on the bearings and a discolored crankshaft. After consulting with MINI, I was authorized a new engine. Parts are being ordered next week. In the meantime, I'll continue driving my Justa Countryman loaner.

2014 w/19,000 miles and a 5/14 build date.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:40 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Never thought about this until a guy told me about when his caddy had to have a new engine. Trade in value...he told me his Cadillac had a engine replacement by Cadillac and when he went and traded it in it killed his trade in because numbers didn't match the car. He was told before the change that it wouldn't effect the value but after a few years he went and traded and it killed the value because they told him it wasn't a matching parts car.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM
mrjolliff
2nd Gear
Took my wife's 2015 F56S in for its oil change last Friday. While it was there, they mentioned the campaign to check the crank bearings for wear. Sure enough, the car needs new bearings, but there are no kits available in the US. Wait time is at least 3 weeks. ugh.

There were 3 other cars in their shop for the exact same issue? 2 were getting new engines. Seriously, WTF.

We then discovered the loaner countryman they gave us had a fuel leak (5000 miles on it...) so returned that 2 days later for an F56 Non-S that has been decent.

I don't expect even new cars to be completely problem free, but MINI is not impressing me with their current level of failures. At least the service dept at Classic MINI is still good at taking care of people. They do look a little beaten down though.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM
mrjolliff
2nd Gear
And this is what I get for complaining. They just called me to say its fixed...not sure where they got the bearing, since originally they said 3 weeks...

:D

Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 PM
_ynot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my car back with today with new engine. Not bad, dropped it off monday, they called tuesday to say it needed a new engine and it is ready friday.

In the report it says they found the bearings and the crankshaft were scored. They also threw in a couple goodies for me for free. I asked for the JCW pro tune, but no go.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:02 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by _ynot
Got my car back with today with new engine. Not bad, dropped it off monday, they called tuesday to say it needed a new engine and it is ready friday.

In the report it says they found the bearings and the crankshaft were scored. They also threw in a couple goodies for me for free. I asked for the JCW pro tune, but no go.
That's a fast turn around!!! Hopefully mine will be fast and painless I take it in Friday.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:24 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Never thought about this until a guy told me about when his caddy had to have a new engine. Trade in value...he told me his Cadillac had a engine replacement by Cadillac and when he went and traded it in it killed his trade in because numbers didn't match the car. He was told before the change that it wouldn't effect the value but after a few years he went and traded and it killed the value because they told him it wasn't a matching parts car.
I would demand MINI pay for depreciated value in writing if my engine had to be replaced.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 AM
vetsvette
My dealers guy dropped of the loaner and picked up my car a little while ago. Got a new 4 door hardtop optioned to the max for a loaner. Not crazy about the smaller front doors on the loaner vs my 2dr. Harder to fold my 6'4" 250 pound self into the smaller door. From what the guy said, they're replacing my engine. I'll find out for sure sometime this week.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM
MiniLynsk
3rd Gear
Got my car back from the dealer after almost a month. They had it for various reasons, but they did the recall. I was going over the paperwork and it says they replaced the bearing because the existing was worn. If it was worn should I have gotten an engine replacement instead of just the bearing being changed? I have had a lot of issues with this car and I just want to avoid more because they didn't fix it correctly.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:18 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniLynsk
Got my car back from the dealer after almost a month. They had it for various reasons, but they did the recall. I was going over the paperwork and it says they replaced the bearing because the existing was worn. If it was worn should I have gotten an engine replacement instead of just the bearing being changed? I have had a lot of issues with this car and I just want to avoid more because they didn't fix it correctly.
in speaking with my friend @ parts, they replace the bearings as a safe precaution, but what determines a motor replacement is if the worn out bearing left any material inside the motor that would cause it to malfunction/fail/blow/etc... ie metal flakes..

Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM
MiniLynsk
3rd Gear
Thanks for the response Marco . I only have 9000 miles on this car and I am losing my love for it. It is my second mini and I am starting to look at what else is out there.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
in speaking with my friend @ parts, they replace the bearings as a safe precaution, but what determines a motor replacement is if the worn out bearing left any material inside the motor that would cause it to malfunction/fail/blow/etc... ie metal flakes..
Not necessarily. There was no debris in my oil but the bearings were scored and the crankshaft discolored. MINI deemed that a new engine was necessary.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 AM
vetsvette
Just talked to my service department. They took pictures of the damage to the bearings and crank and sent them to the head shed and are waiting for instructions to either repair the damage or replace the motor. Yep, fingers crossed for a new motor.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 PM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B_Swift
This applies to F55 and F56 produced from January 2014-February 2015. Mine is apart on the rack as we speak.
Does this mean that all F55/F56 produced in this time frame have this issue?
I wonder if it has anything to do with where they were assembled.
Hope you're back on the road soon!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVIDLEERAD
Does this mean that all F55/F56 produced in this time frame have this issue?
I wonder if it has anything to do with where they were assembled.
Hope you're back on the road soon!
At the minimum, any F55/F56 built in this time frame will have the bearings replaced. Further damage will necessitate engine replacement.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperB
I would demand MINI pay for depreciated value in writing if my engine had to be replaced.
A new motor in your car isn't likely to affect the car value in any way. If it were a collector's car where numbers matching would come into play then yes.

On a trade, you will get what the book value is for your car based on condition (may get a slight boost since the odo will be set to zero w/ the new engine, so for the age of the car, the miles will be less.

If sold to a private party, a factory recall where an engine that was faulty (for a specific run of cars) was replaced may actually make the car more desirable.

If I were shopping for a 2014 or early 15 MINI and knew there was the potential for an engine failure, assuming one does their due diligence in researching car reliability and recall history (most do not) and found one that had a fresh, factory correct engine installed, it would actually eliminate one more worry about the car's future reliability.

Research a Porsche buyers guide and read the recommendations. Cars w/ known deep engine problems where engines have been replaced or issue resolved at the dealerships are more desirable that those that are not.

This can be spun either way, but in reality, for a factory recall on a car where the work was do in a factory authorized shop, likely to be a wash regarding the car's resale or trade in value.

Just my .02, could be wrong

Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
On a trade, you will get what the book value is for your car based on condition (may get a slight boost since the odo will be set to zero w/ the new engine, so for the age of the car, the miles will be less
Not true. The odometer reflects the mileage of the car, not the engine.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Crankshaft Guide Bearing Shell Collar TSB