North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-194/)
-   -   Electrical BMWhat App: What have you coded? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/285738-bmwhat-app-what-have-you-coded.html)

walk0080 07-13-2016 06:20 AM

--

bratling 07-13-2016 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by walk0080 (Post 4225396)
Support told me to look at the FAQ. If not in the FAQ, I am supposed to enter all the information AGAIN into another contact form so they can look into it. All that information was already provided and in their email response.

Shockingly poor support. Glad I got my refund from iTunes.

So… their customer support is German. A perfect fit for BMW/MINI "the customer is always at fault" engineering response to carbon build-up and timing chain failures.

:lol:

Joking aside, I bought the Carly app, and it mostly worked, but overall I was underwhelmed. The usability is akin to a factory service tool, in other words, miserable.

If you don't want to screw around with NCSexpert, and if all the coding changes you want to make are supported by Carly, then it's a reasonable purchase. But if you are technically oriented or a tinkerer, NCSexpert and a laptop are considerably more flexible and capable.

goin2drt 07-13-2016 06:32 AM

I just stumbled on this thread.

So if I have a Bluetooth OBD reader and they get the app I can do all this stuff or are you guys actually plugging into a computer and coding?

I want to change some stuff and I know a guy that will do it as he did for my M3 but I have not taken my car to him yet.

If so what is the app called and will it work with my F56

LSpivak 07-13-2016 04:33 PM

Hi goin2drt
Yes you just get the app and the OBD reader/adapter and you do it with your phone. No computer needed.
I think with Android you need to use a Bluetooth adapter, and with iPhone it's always wifi, but don't quote me on that. I have an iPhone and a mini cooper, so I got a wifi adapter on Amazon, and downloaded the Carly for BMW app. The app is free to download but you need to pay for the full version to code with it.
I found the app pretty much useless for identifying error codes... It gives you a code such as "Lambda 002A56" and you're pretty much on your own figuring out what that means. Asking the Carly staff for help didn't get me anywhere, and there is no manual available online that deciphers the codes for you. They are not the standard P codes you typically see.
So the error reporting sucks, but the coding seems to work well. I used it to change a few things that were annoying me. On my mini, the key fob could be used to roll down the windows and open the sunroof, but couldn't be used to roll them back up (which is actually more useful, so I can close them from the office if it starts to rain.)
So I changed that so I can use the fob to roll up, and I coded out the fault warnings for some of my lights (I had replaced some lights with LED and it was throwing a code due to the low voltage.) I also changed a few other light settings. I wouldn't use it to fuss with any engine stuff though.
As for the fault codes, you can use the same adapter and just download a different app to get a clearer picture of your faults. I use Carista, but there are a few out there and they all seem to work fine. Some are free and some are paid. Some are free for some stuff and pay to upgrade. I hope this helps!

goin2drt 07-13-2016 06:17 PM

Thanks thats great. I already have Carista. I will get the BMW app to code. I too have an Iphone. I assume it is just called Carly for BMW pro or do I search a different name.

LSpivak 07-13-2016 06:19 PM

Yep that's the one.
Check out Carly's website first to see what codes are available for your vehicle.

goin2drt 07-20-2016 05:24 PM

I tried checking out there site. I am about to purchase however the one major thing I want to code is removing the Nav warning at start up. Will it do that? Thanks.

LSpivak 07-20-2016 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by goin2drt (Post 4227762)
I tried checking out there site. I am about to purchase however the one major thing I want to code is removing the Nav warning at start up. Will it do that? Thanks.

On their page you can search your vehicle model and view a list of possible codes for that car.

goin2drt 07-21-2016 07:02 AM

Thanks. It appears that all Mini's (certain year) have all the same coding options. About 4,000 of them and wouldn't you know the most annoying and the one I want the most is not available (nav warnng at start up). I think I will save the $45 and pay a little extra to go get some coding done and get exactly what I want.