Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Tune - Northeast - N14 N18 Minis Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes that would be awesome! Even if they were to give us a voucher of some sort to be able to upgrade to the next stage for free with us being the first users state - side! Anything to help would be awesome! Also, still a huge question for me is will there be any anti-lag features? No lift to shift features?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chandler5192
Also, still a huge question for me is will there be any anti-lag features? No lift to shift features?
Is this really a huge question? Do you know how antilag works? Antilag will destroy your turbo and engine, especially these stock (as in unbuilt) Prince engines. Big changes would need to happen to the programming of the ECU, the timing of the engine itself, and mechanical changes for antilag to be an option on MINIs. We all know just how lovely both N14 and N18 engines are to tune which means you would need a standalone ECU (as a minimum) and those are very pricey. Then you have to decide which of the four common antilag set ups to go with and do the programming of the standalone ECU which will take a very smart tuner. Very expensive.

These are also MINIs, not F1, LMP, or WRC cars. Antilag is doable but it is far from realistic and/or cheap, or reliable for that matter.

No-lift shifting, might be a possibility but again these are MINIs, not RWD built V8 drag cars. While I do think there are some cars with no lift shift features (I think Chevy Cobalts have this) my point still stands. MINIs are small 4 cylinder FWD cars. Not exactly a great pedigree for drag racing out of the box. More money should be invested in the handling of MINIs than how much power can be crammed into an unbuilt motor.

I love the enthusiam but let's all be reasonable with expectations with new tuners and what a typical MINI owner wants for their performance goals. I'm just glad there is another tuner willing to enter the MINI game at the end of the day.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
I'm hoping there's some incentive to give special pricing for going to NJ, since the whole point of OBD tuning is so I can do it myself. I get that the dyno is bonus, but still, for a group tune, I would think there would be something in it for them.
Ok. Good news. There is incentive to be the first on the northeast manic tune tune list. $200 off your tune! So, $300 for stage 1 and $350 for stage 2. The SPS is shaking out to be an additional $200 if you want it. That may even be discounted if we get a solid list of takers. No promises though.

Chris

Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CPap
Ok. Good news. There is incentive to be the first on the northeast manic tune tune list. $200 off your tune! So, $300 for stage 1 and $350 for stage 2. The SPS is shaking out to be an additional $200 if you want it. That may even be discounted if we get a solid list of takers. No promises though. Chris
Sounds perfect! I'm even more pumped for my stage 2!!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Sounds perfect! I'm even more pumped for my stage 2!!
Me too for stage 2! Getting my down pipe and manifold hopefully by weeks end.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
Originally Posted by solskjaer1999

Is this really a huge question? Do you know how antilag works? Antilag will destroy your turbo and engine, especially these stock (as in unbuilt) Prince engines. Big changes would need to happen to the programming of the ECU, the timing of the engine itself, and mechanical changes for antilag to be an option on MINIs. We all know just how lovely both N14 and N18 engines are to tune which means you would need a standalone ECU (as a minimum) and those are very pricey. Then you have to decide which of the four common antilag set ups to go with and do the programming of the standalone ECU which will take a very smart tuner. Very expensive.

These are also MINIs, not F1, LMP, or WRC cars. Antilag is doable but it is far from realistic and/or cheap, or reliable for that matter.

No-lift shifting, might be a possibility but again these are MINIs, not RWD built V8 drag cars. While I do think there are some cars with no lift shift features (I think Chevy Cobalts have this) my point still stands. MINIs are small 4 cylinder FWD cars. Not exactly a great pedigree for drag racing out of the box. More money should be invested in the handling of MINIs than how much power can be crammed into an unbuilt motor.

I love the enthusiam but let's all be reasonable with expectations with new tuners and what a typical MINI owner wants for their performance goals. I'm just glad there is another tuner willing to enter the MINI game at the end of the day.
I am aware that anti lag could damage my engine and turbo manifold and possibly the turbo itself but the main thing in danger would be the manifold. The raw fuel combustion in the manifold would cause it to possibly crack but unless I stand on it for a solid minute I should be fine and if I monitor everything and check up in it I'm fine with that. I am modifying my car so I am prepared for things to happen and take the risks. With having experience with dsm's (2.0l turbo eclipse and talons) and both anti lag and flat foot shifting being an extremely common thing on near stock cars I don't think it is a huge huge risk. Just wanting and hoping for some more tuning capabilities and options for our cars. Either way the fact that it is an obd tuning device I'm psyched!!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
Ohh and I'm wondering if I could buy the stage 1 as well as the stage 2 flash at the same time for future upgrading of my intercooler. Hopefully that can be done

Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 PM
huhj
1st Gear
Hey guys, I've been actively reading all the posts about this new tune and wanted to ask a question. If I get the tune, I would want the stage 2 but what mods would I definitely need two get stage 2? Would a DP, catback, intercooler and intake do it? Or would I need other parts like a manifold or bigger pipings.

Last edited by huhj; 04-12-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:43 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Ohh and I'm wondering if I could buy the stage 1 as well as the stage 2 flash at the same time for future upgrading of my intercooler. Hopefully that can be done
Yes. I will be tuning for meth and I currently do not have meth.
He said it is fine as long as I do not switch to it without the system installed.
I am pretty much sure he can very much do it with the stages also.
My Plan:
Mode 1: 91 Octane
Mode 2: 91 Octane with Meth
Mode 3: Race Fuel with Meth

Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Me too for stage 2! Getting my down pipe and manifold hopefully by weeks end.
We don't need a DP for stage 2 as I've been reading from Manic. Just a FMIC, intake, and exhaust right? But you can add a DP if wanted? I'm just making sure. I might add a DP later if I keep the car down the road. I just want some more power put down with the mods I have.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
CPap
4th Gear
We don't need a DP for stage 2 as I've been reading from Manic. Just a FMIC, intake, and exhaust right? But you can add a DP if wanted? I'm just making sure. I might add a DP later if I keep the car down the road. I just want some more power put down with the mods I have.
From what manic wrote me about a month and a half ago was that "more work to your exhaust is required for stage 2" At the time, I let them know that the second cat was removed and a 18" resonator put in its place. So, that's why I'm doing the DP. Maybe something has changed since? I honestly would rather not do a DP for the sake of more noise. I ended up ordering the akrapovic DP with high flow cat. I figured while I was at it I would do the mani at the same time. I REALLY hope it won't be too loud with the DP or else it's coming off. The drone will get to me on the highway. Not to mention, get to the clients I drive around sometimes.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:54 PM
CPap
4th Gear
I guess I may have taken manics comment as -get a DP- but may not really need it as you said. From everything I have read the exhaust does nothing after the DP. The DP is where you get the gains.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I guess I may have taken manics comment as -get a DP- but may not really need it as you said. From everything I have read the exhaust does nothing after the DP. The DP is where you get the gains.
Exactly the DP has the real gains. But I don't feel like getting one on my car, no point since I'm not tracking the car for that extra 12whp or whatever. I have my second cat deleted as well on my FJCW exhaust. I guess we'll see what manic says.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:22 AM
jomama
4th Gear
still kinda on the fence with this since I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping the car. I have a DP sitting in a box in my dining room. i'll check if manic is interested in getting a matrix of numbers (w/ or w/o DP, stage 1/2, etc.) from a single car. I have the JB+ right now and am happy with it, since I can easily offload that if/when I get rid of my mini. but curiosity sometimes gets the best of me. I'll give eurocode a buzz when I'm back in Cali tmrw.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:35 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Really sorry! That was an error... i just fixed the dates. It is May and NOT June. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Chris

Originally Posted by pidge1114
there you go! Im in.

I just noticed this got bumped to June?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
How many people do we have so far? I can stay till the 8th but I'm hoping to schedule my date for the 7th. I can't miss too much of work.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
CPap
4th Gear
How many people do we have so far? I can stay till the 8th but I'm hoping to schedule my date for the 7th. I can't miss too much of work.
Heres the tentative (potentials) "Manic Tune" list of people judging form posts and PM's. Please add your name if not listed.

Manic Tune List
1. CPap
2. Chandler5192
3. RobMuntean
4. pidge1114
5. velvetcows
6. blakeslee
7. larmini
8. jgray205
9. jkapinos

Please add/remove as needed

It would be very helpful to know your interest in the SPS. It is an extra $200. It may also be discounted with enough interest but not sure yet. We will need a final list so they know how many to order.

SPS List
1. CPap
2. jgray205
3. pidge1114
4. Chandler5192

Manic/Eurocode will be officially providing the final sign up list soon. This thread is to show them our interest.

Last edited by CPap; 04-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
Please add me to the SPS list as well! Thank you!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:36 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
What exactly will the SPS do for my benefit?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
I believe only benefit is to be able to switch between tunes. Could have other features as well but that Is all I know for sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has more knowledge

Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM
CPap
4th Gear
I believe only benefit is to be able to switch between tunes. Could have other features as well but that Is all I know for sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has more knowledge
Yes, that's correct. You have the option to flip between 3 different tunes whenever you want. Stock mode, 91 oct gas mode or meth mode. Those are just a few examples I know of.

I will add your name.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yes, that's correct. You have the option to flip between 3 different tunes whenever you want. Stock mode, 91 oct gas mode or meth mode. Those are just a few examples I know of. I will add your name. Thanks
Either way I can just unplug the OBDII if I don't want the tune to run, right?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Either way I can just unplug the OBDII if I don't want the tune to run, right?
The SPS switch does not need to stay in the OBDII Port. It is only connected for 2 seconds to switch the map. You can set it to stock mode thoe on the switch.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
huhj
1st Gear
Please add my name into the tune list! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Tune - Northeast - N14 N18 Minis Needed!