North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain Helix FMIC installed (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/166499-helix-fmic-installed.html)

stinkytofu 04-04-2009 09:40 AM

Helix FMIC installed

so a couple days ago i installed my intercooler. the fmic looks like a beast compared to stock :thumbsup: . heres is what my butt dyno told me,

-turbo does spool quicker
-when rpm hits around 3, boost kicks in even more than before, ( normally the boost will run out at certain rpm, but it felt as if the boost kept up)
-with stock intercooler, after driving for about 20-30, the hood scoop turns burning hot (crack and egg on it and it will cook), after helix ic, hood was WAYYYY cooler (i can place my hand on the hood scoop without burning my hand)

overall i am super pleased with helix's fmic, good investment :thumbsup:

thanks mark for the group buy!

will post pic soon

richi0207 04-04-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by stinkytofu (Post 2723696)
so a couple days ago i installed my intercooler. the fmic looks like a beast compared to stock :thumbsup: . heres is what my butt dyno told me,

-turbo does spool quicker
-when rpm hits around 3, boost kicks in even more than before, ( normally the boost will run out at certain rpm, but it felt as if the boost kept up)
-with stock intercooler, after driving for about 20-30, the hood scoop turns burning hot (crack and egg on it and it will cook), after helix ic, hood was WAYYYY cooler (i can place my hand on the hood scoop without burning my hand)

overall i am super pleased with helix's fmic, good investment :thumbsup:

thanks mark for the group buy!

will post pic soon

The Helix IC looks well made I like how it fits perfect since its stepped (if this is the stepped one).

I do believe that the extra boost your feeling is the recovered boost you were losing due to heat-soak of the oem IC.

About the hood-scoop, I never noticed a difference IMO since it was always burning hot before and after:lol:

PoktRokt 04-04-2009 11:18 AM

Just installed mine yesterday as well. I used the Forge and Alta instructions and everything went well. The only thing left out is that the air temp guage that sits right behind the grill needs to be moved closer to the grill or it hits the intercooler. My butt dyno says it has a slighter quicker spool up, but that's about it. It was 41 degrees yesterday so I'm sure the bigger FMIC wasn't helping alot, but this summer when it's 100, hopefully I will get my money's worth:thumbsup: . I too feel the Helix product was well made and nicely fit. Sure wish it was $300 less and 8 pounds less too!

jeffc 04-04-2009 11:22 AM

Good stuff ! Glad you are enjoying your new mods.

eR1c 04-07-2009 09:26 PM

Mine is sitting in the box :( ....waiting til 2 weeks when I get back from a business trip then I'll be in the garage installing it.

stinkytofu 04-09-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by eR1c (Post 2727586)
Mine is sitting in the box :( ....waiting til 2 weeks when I get back from a business trip then I'll be in the garage installing it.

Sorry to hear :sad: , when i missed my delivery date for mine, i called them and asked to pick it up the next day. It took 40 min to drive out to fedex and get my fmic. Then i had to go back to work (sitting at work hands itching to install) and finally after i got off i hurried home to install. I cant imagine having to wait 2 weeks!

ps have fun installing when you get back! :thumbsup:

dtsoccer6 04-09-2009 08:32 AM

FMIC is a great mod, and it does look mean!

eR1c 04-09-2009 01:06 PM

I cant imagine having to wait 2 weeks!
Yeah, w/ 2 small kids and a wife I am pretty used to putting things I want to do on hold!

stinkytofu 04-16-2009 04:36 PM

finally got pics

2 Attachment(s)
sorry it took so long to get picture but here are a couple

slinger688 04-16-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by stinkytofu (Post 2737029)
sorry it took so long to get picture but here are a couple

Looks great.

Two questions:
1. Any change in your fuel consumption?
2. Any change in your intake temperatures?

Thanks

oldcracker 04-16-2009 07:32 PM

how come it seems that the helix FMIC is not centered? it seems to be more to the driver side? is it just me or is it supposed to be like that?

Tsar 04-16-2009 08:52 PM

Um.. I want one..

slinger688 04-17-2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tsar (Post 2737332)
Um.. I want one..

Looks like there is a group buy on so you can save some money...

stinkytofu 04-17-2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 2737139)
Looks great.

Two questions:
1. Any change in your fuel consumption?
2. Any change in your intake temperatures?

Thanks

honestly as for fuel consumption, i dont really notice a difference unless of course im driving hard. and for intake temps, the car is much cooler, i dont know how much cooler, but i can really tell a difference. hood scoop isnt as hot as before

Originally Posted by oldcracker (Post 2737225)
how come it seems that the helix FMIC is not centered? it seems to be more to the driver side? is it just me or is it supposed to be like that?

yes the intercooler isnt in the center, i dont know why helix made it like this but personally i dont really mind

minipete07 04-17-2009 05:10 PM

The Forge FMIC fits the same way! a little off center, more towards driver side-

slinger688 04-17-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by stinkytofu (Post 2738136)
honestly as for fuel consumption, i dont really notice a difference unless of course im driving hard. and for intake temps, the car is much cooler, i dont know how much cooler, but i can really tell a difference. hood scoop isnt as hot as before.

Thanks for the info.

Krut 04-19-2009 01:38 PM

Has anyone installed this intercooler on a MINI John Cooper Works (Stage 2) - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work unless something is radically different in the ECU tune and the larger Intercooler would kick engine error codes.