Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

Trackday/autocross microphone placement

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Trackday/autocross microphone placement

Trackday microphone placement, usually I put it on the rear bumper but I would like to get a little more SC sound so it sounds more like the car really sounds. Engine bay is a nogo because holy crap it sounds like this, so is there a happy medium? I was thinking down under the hvac controls might pick up more of the SC

Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
Trackday microphone placement, usually I put it on the rear bumper but I would like to get a little more SC sound so it sounds more like the car really sounds. Engine bay is a nogo because holy crap it sounds like this, so is there a happy medium? I was thinking down under the hvac controls might pick up more of the SC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3HKDah8qP4
I tried rear bumper thinking to pick up the exhaust sound, but at 100+ MPH is just too much noise and hence too much clipping. I now put the mic in the passenger side baby cupholder. It is a lot better as it is somewhat protected from the hurricane force wind from the open windows. There are still occasional clippings but much better and there is definitely plenty of SC whine. My 15+ years old Sony condenser mic might not be the best for modern digital cam like the GoPro.

The built in mic on your external camera seems work very well but it is relatively low wind speed on autoX.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 06-24-2018 at 09:04 AM.