North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Driver's School (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school-135/)
-   -   SCDA HPDE Schedule (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/driver-s-school/179311-scda-hpde-schedule.html)

slinger688 12-24-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 3180171)
Just wanted to check in and say hi ya'll. As I got Oscar back together, I finished up my Harley I had been working on for two years and got my H2 back from CA with a Duramax diesel conversion. (not to mention I bought a Can Am UTV)

Mark

Hi OC,

Would should finally join us up in the NE for some track days. I did VIR grand east last year so I am planning to do Calabogie as my "new" track this year.

slinger688 12-24-2010 01:09 PM

In the meantime here is what I found so far. I did not go to the clubs such as bmwcca or pca.

NASA Northeast
April 2 - Sat. Lime Rock Park, CT HPDE
April 15 - 17 NJMP Lightning Course HPDE & RACE & Comp School
May 2 & 3 Watkins Glen, NY HPDE & RACE
June 24 - Fri. Lime Rock Park, CT HPDE
July 15 - 17 Pocono Long Courses HPDE & RACE
[Aug. 5 - 7 NJMP Lightning Course HPDE & RACE
Sept. 3 - 4 Pocono Long Courses HPDE & RACE
Sept. 8 - 11 Mid-Ohio NASA Natl. Championships
Sept. 30 Oct. 1 - 2 Watkins Glen, NY HPDE & RACE
Oct. 28 - 30 NJMP Thunderbolt HPDE & RACE

Chin Motorsports
Jan 22-23 Sebring Raceway First event of the year, online registration begins Mon. 11/29, 10PM
Feb 26-27 Homestead/Miami First 2011 winter visit to HMS. No snow, guaranteed! OPENING: Mon, Jan 3, 10PM
Mar 19 Homestead/Miami Return to HMS 3 weeks later. 1-day event, Saturday only
Mar 26-27 Sebring Raceway The weekend after the 12-Hour, first springtime event at Sebring of any car club!
Apr 9 Sebring Raceway A 1-day event, Saturday only, on the full 12-Hour course
Apr 30-1 Sebring Raceway Chin Motorsports' fourth visit to Sebring in 4 months!
Watkins Glen Int'lThe springtime visit to another one of America's most historic tracks...
May 14-15 Autobahn Country Club Back to Chicagoland with our popular TracQuest program
May 28 Atlanta Motorsports Park Inaugural visit to the new Atlanta Motorsports Park: the last Saturday in May
May 30-31 Mid-Ohio The Memorial day event, at yet another one of America's greatest road courses
Jun 6 Road Atlanta Our first 2011 visit to RA is a 1-day event on the first Monday of June
Jun 11-12 Sebring Raceway Saturday or Sunday, TracQuest event, on the Full Course, of course
Jul 1 Road Atlanta Friday before July 4th weekend, begin your holiday with a track day
Jul 4-5 VIRginia Int'l Raceway Summer holiday at VIR... Monday/Tuesday, TracQuest format
Jul 16 Homestead/Miami The summer visit to Homestead/Miami. 1-day, Saturday only
Jul 30-31 Road Atlanta Hot laps in Hotlanta... this track ROCKS
Aug 20 Sebring Raceway After 2 months away, the summer visit to Sebring. 1-day, Saturday only
Sep 5-6 Watkins Glen Labor Day at The Glen. This is a SU-WEET track date!
Sep 12 Road Atlanta Another Monday at RA, a great reason to rearrange your work schedule
Sep 24-25 Barber MS Park An epic fall event. 2 days at Barber.
Oct 8-9 Sebring Raceway The first big fall event in Florida, at Florida's favorite track
Oct 22-23 Atlanta Motorsports Park 2-day Fall event at the new track north of Atlanta
Oct 30-31 VIRginia Int'l Raceway This popular annual event follows the 13-Hour race at VIR
Nov 26-27 Road Atlanta The weekend after Thanksgiving. One of the most popular events of the Fall.
Dec 3-4 VIRginia Int'l Raceway Last DE track event of the year at VIR.

Eddie07S 12-24-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by S-Driver (Post 3179939)

Thannnks:thumbsup:
and
Sweet:grin:

Looked at some of his pictures (VIR Dec 2010) There is a picture of a Mini with at least -10 deg of front camber:razz: Ok, not that much, but you can "see it".

Already signed up for VIR and WGI...No just kidding but thinking about it ... July 4th at VIR, what better way to celebrate and "shot off some fireworks":lol:

As Slinger already said:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to my new found Mini Group

PS: I've asked Santa for a 250 whp mod, but she said it won't fit in under the tree, so I can't have it:razz: (need a bigger tree next year:grin: )

Eddie07S 12-24-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3180206)
Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone. Hope to get on the track with you guys (veggivet, s-driver, GKP, eddie, APS, the I's, claymore, suss, sherman, porsche bob, my Miata buddies VA et al) next year.

Just too busy at work to prep the car right now. I dream of going back to retirement again. I did meet a guy at work that does 40 track days a year and has close to 400 track days. He convinced me to get the AST suspension.

Let's get the SCDA schedule up ASAP so we can plan for some track days together.

Slinger - I have a couple of major mods planned...you're more than welcome to share my garage to work on your upgrades too, if you are willing to wait till spring...

S-Driver 12-24-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3180235)

Looked at some of his pictures (VIR Dec 2010) There is a picture of a Mini with at least -10 deg of front camber:razz: Ok, not that much, but you can "see it".

I believe that was the RSR MINI Grand team running their 198 car and the Challenge car....I saw a video of that event somewhere but can't seem to remember where.

slinger688 12-25-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3180243)
Slinger - I have a couple of major mods planned...you're more than welcome to share my garage to work on your upgrades too, if you are willing to wait till spring...

Thanks for the offer. May have to take you up on the offer in spring. The AST is not coming till Feb. I need to replace the cv. Hope Kyle will do that after the new coils.

Eddie07S 12-25-2010 05:29 PM

Koni FSDs, Wilwood +1, and helix fmic :grin:

slinger688 12-25-2010 05:35 PM

Helix FMIC rocks.

Will the wilwood +1 be enough for you? From TCE?

VV really likes his FSDs.

Eddie07S 12-25-2010 06:20 PM

Actually the +1.5 ... the +1 with the 12.2" rotor:thumbsup: if that is not enough, I will need to learn how to drive slower:lol: The +2 has booted pistons that I don't want to deal with. This should all fit the 16" wheels that I want to keep for the DD'ing. I will Probably go with TCE given his Mini support. Also talked to VV about the FSDs:thumbsup: , I want to keep the stock height (springs).

Also, I have the JCW brake ducts to put in.

Say, what about an oil catch can?

orangecrush 12-25-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3180209)
Hi OC,

Would should finally join us up in the NE for some track days. I did VIR grand east last year so I am planning to do Calabogie as my "new" track this year.

Thanks bud, will do... definitely want to get somewhere to do some track days.

Mark

Eddie07S 12-25-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 3180612)

Mark

7/4 is a Monday holiday...Hmmmm.... travel on Sunday, overrun VIR with Minis Monday, maybe Tuesday....Home on Tues or Wed and back to work on Wed or Thurs. Just thinkin':grin:

Then there is Lime Rock, NJ, Watkins Glenn, Calibogie...a new set of tires, brake pads...maybe Monticello (maybe?)... and it is not even New Year yet and I still have skiing to do... Stowe, Whiteface, Jay, Utah...

slinger688 12-25-2010 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3180611)
Actually the +1.5 ... the +1 with the 12.2" rotor:thumbsup: if that is not enough, I will need to learn how to drive slower:lol: The +2 has booted pistons that I don't want to deal with. This should all fit the 16" wheels that I want to keep for the DD'ing. I will Probably go with TCE given his Mini support. Also talked to VV about the FSDs:thumbsup: , I want to keep the stock height (springs).

Also, I have the JCW brake ducts to put in.

Say, what about an oil catch can?

I am thinking about a catch can but don't have one right now.

I have the ducts retrofited into my MCS bumper. Seems to work fine.

No matter what, the 12.2 would be more consistent than the stock OEM, with an added safety dimension which is important for track. I would go with xp12 pads for the front. I genetally do not like the wilwood pads because I find modulation more difficult. Also the dust on the wilwood is real bad and it gets burned into the rims and cannot be easilyremoved.

slinger688 12-25-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush (Post 3180612)

Mark

Would highly suggest Watkins Glen as that is one fantastic track...

orangecrush 12-25-2010 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3180628)
Would highly suggest Watkins Glen as that is one fantastic track...

Definitely on my do to list.

We'll get together this summer...

Mark

jtower 12-26-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3179915)
They say it is "coming":lol: :popcorn:

Say, what club would have time at VIR?

chin, trackdaze, asphalt ventures, and thscc are probably your best bets for hpde fun at vir, i run with all of them and always have a good time.

jtower 12-26-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by S-Driver (Post 3180268)
I believe that was the RSR MINI Grand team running their 198 car and the Challenge car....I saw a video of that event somewhere but can't seem to remember where.

just a single lap but the 198 mini passes me on the front straight http://vimeo.com/17910257

S-Driver 12-26-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3180611)
Also, I have the JCW brake ducts to put in

I hope you guy's are ducting these directly to the back side of the calipers, otherwise what's the point? Air is just going to blow into the area behind the wheel. I think Dustin sells a kit to mount the hose to the caliper??

slinger688 12-26-2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by S-Driver (Post 3180761)
I hope you guy's are ducting these directly to the back side of the calipers, otherwise what's the point? Air is just going to blow into the area behind the wheel. I think Dustin sells a kit to mount the hose to the caliper??

I took a look at that kit the one made by sneed. Looks real nice and it is aimed at the center of the rotors. I think it is mainly for the R53 and it replaces the fog lights.

As for the JCW kit, I think you can extend it to the rotors with some flexible ducts and some brackets. Eddie is handy with fabrication, perhaps he can make a special bracket.

Eddie07S 12-26-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jtower (Post 3180735)
just a single lap but the 198 mini passes me on the front straight http://vimeo.com/17910257

Are you guys running snow tires:confused: :lol: Boy that mini was movin':eek:

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3180779)
I took a look at that kit the one made by sneed. Looks real nice and it is aimed at the center of the rotors. I think it is mainly for the R53 and it replaces the fog lights.

As for the JCW kit, I think you can extend it to the rotors with some flexible ducts and some brackets. Eddie is handy with fabrication, perhaps he can make a special bracket.

S-Driver: For right now I am going to try the straight JCW kit. I believe the JCW kit does more than just dump air into the wheel well. In looking at it, I think BMW/Mini has actually tried to accelerate the air into a jet that blows on the rotor when the wheel is straight or turned outward. It also should provide good cooling for the calipers..I know for the rotor it is not as good as the full ducted kit but I don't think I need that; yet:grin: . I have measured the rotor temps with temp paint and I am not real high, ~1100 deg, and that is with the dust shields in place (no one said I should remove them:sly: and I didn't think about it). I figure with the dust shields removed and the extra air from the JCW kit I should get temps that I want. Also, I actually wanted more cooling at the caliper anyway, as that is where I have had problems. I don't have a brake fade problem, even with the stock set up. I just "cooked" the piston side pad and burned out the piston boots; no fade though.

As for being creative - yes, I have thought about how to duct the air directly to the rotor and have come up with an idea to split the air off the JCW kit. I will do that if I am not able to bring the temps down with the kit alone. One of my objectives is to keep the car "streetable" and usable in the winter. So, as many things that I am doing with the car, this may wind up being a compromise that I will have to accommodate when I am on the track. I am hoping the JCW kit gives me what I am look for (cooling but no hoses that will get messed up with the snow). If not, back to the drawing board.

BTY - I was running Carbo XP10s up front with the stock brakes without fade. If I have temp issues with the BBK, I can always go to 12s.

gkp 12-28-2010 02:22 PM

[quote=slinger688;3180206]Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone. Hope to get on the track with you guys (veggivet, s-driver, GKP, eddie, APS, the I's, claymore, suss, sherman, porsche bob, my Miata buddies VA et al) next year.

Happy New Year to you, too. Been busy myself with work, the holidays, looking for a house, and getting ready to move. This is the first time I have been on NAM in weeks, and it's only because it's a relatively slow day at work. :)

I will be back in 2011 with R-compounds to see how that goes. Plus a short shifter, but that's about it (other than a fire extinguisher in case I toast my brakes again this year!). :eek2:

I haven't done anything about camber plates yet -- just too busy, and it's too darn cold. Once I get a bigger garage I'm going to throw some heat in it. I'm getting too old for winter.

I also bought a second car that my son will be tracking, and maybe me on occasion, but since it's not a MINI I won't yak about it here. :no:

slinger688 01-02-2011 03:38 AM

The SCDA 2011 Schedule is here. You can see it on www.scda1.com.

I have also pasted it here:

4/18 MON Lime Rock Park
4/25 MON Watkins Glen
4/26 TUE Watkins Glen
5/10 TUE Lime Rock Park *Unmuffled PM
6/1 WED Lime Rock Park
6/6 MON New Hampshire
6/27 MON New Jersey – Lightning
6/28 TUE New Jersey – Thunderbolt
7/1 FRI Lime Rock Park *Unmuffled
7/11 MON Watkins Glen
7/12 TUE Watkins Glen
8/5 FRI Lime Rock Park (1pm to 5pm*)
8/8 MON New Hampshire
8/29 MON Lime Rock Park
9/12 MON New Jersey – Lightning
9/13 TUE New Jersey – Thunderbolt
9/20 TUE Lime Rock Park
10/7 FRI New Hampshire
10/29 SAT Lime Rock Park (1pm to 5pm*)

Lets start planning.

Eddie07S 01-02-2011 09:28 AM

Slinger - first we need to figure out when we are going to get our mods done:lol:

Soooo many choices so little time...and I ski into April, so I will probably start in May:
A warmup at Lime Rock on Tues 5/10 (I have never been there)
Get serious at LRP on Wed 6/1
When is Calabogie???????
Fun at NJ Mon & Tues 6/27 & 28 or Sept 12 & 13 depending on Calabogie
Up and Up at WGI Mon and Tues 7/11 & 12 (this track is all uphill for a Mini:razz: )
August is open for now:sly:
Last day - VIR - Sunday & Monday 10/30 & 31 w/Chin
There are a couple of NASA dates that could be substituded (WGI in May and NJ in Aug).
Just my thoughts for now..I can be pretty flexible with this, though:thumbsup: .
That will probably use up all of my vacation, tires and brakes:lol:

Eddie07S 01-02-2011 09:38 AM

BTY - How is NASA for HPDEs? They seem to have HPDE and races. Are they different days and do they mix the 2?

slinger688 01-02-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 3184630)
BTY - How is NASA for HPDEs? They seem to have HPDE and races. Are they different days and do they mix the 2?

VV seems to be OK with them. I did some NASA HPDEs about 5 -6 years ago, so better to ask VV.

Claymore 01-02-2011 04:42 PM

Has anyone been to NHMS? I've seen some video of it, looks kind of boring.