North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   2011 Mini Cooper (Non S) Black Grill (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/207477-2011-mini-cooper-non-s-black-grill.html)

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 09:07 AM

2011 Mini Cooper (Non S) Black Grill

Anyone know where I can find a black grill for a 2011 Mini Cooper (Non S)?
I really like the JCW one but it apparently does not fit the 2011 models.:cry:

Thanks!

dannyhavok 04-01-2011 09:10 AM

I was going to suggest OutMotoring but I only see the JCW stuff there! Hopefully someone has some info for you.

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 09:27 AM

OutMotoring JCW Grill

This is what the JCW one says on OutMotoring:
"*This grill will NOT fit the Cooper (base model) 2011 and newer. Sorry."

Blainestang 04-01-2011 09:52 AM

I would contact Aaron at Outmotoring to confirm That none of the existing options fit. The '11 Cooper hood is the same as the Cooper S just without a scoop, so the grill and lower grill trim from an S *should* line up if the attachment method is similar.

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 11:02 AM

That would be awesome, is there anyway to confirm that?
Has anyone out there put a 2011 S grill on a non S?

amberback 04-01-2011 11:08 AM

If you can't find one to fit, i saw someone who just painted (plasti-dip) their center grille chrome parts black and it looked pretty nice.

Edit: Found the photo.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...icture_082.jpg

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 11:20 AM

That does look nice! It is a lease though so I need to talk to them about what I am allowed to do. I am assuming I need to turn it back in in the same shape so I am not sure if I am allowed to paint the grill.
I guess i could always buy a spare chrome one and dip that.

amberback 04-01-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChadwickS (Post 3251104)
That does look nice! It is a lease though so I need to talk to them about what I am allowed to do. I am assuming I need to turn it back in in the same shape so I am not sure if I am allowed to paint the grill.
I guess i could always buy a spare chrome one and dip that.

Well then... black vinyl wrap it! :thumbsup:

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 11:31 AM

Is there a guide somewhere on how he did that. I have never vinyl wrapped something before.

Thanks for the help!

gr8ful 04-01-2011 11:41 AM

Painted mine with plastia dip and it looks good. Very easy to remove and for less than $5 dollars its great. When you turn it in they won't even notice and if they do a replacement grill is only a few bucks.
My $.02 worth

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by gr8ful (Post 3251119)
Painted mine with plastia dip and it looks good.

Did you use the spray or did you paint it on?

Blainestang 04-01-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChadwickS (Post 3251089)
That would be awesome, is there anyway to confirm that?
Has anyone out there put a 2011 S grill on a non S?

The first person to ask would be Aaron at Outmotoring if you haven't already.

ChadwickS 04-01-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blainestang (Post 3251196)
The first person to ask would be Aaron at Outmotoring if you haven't already.

How do I do that? I can't seem to find any contact info on the forums.

Thanks!

Blainestang 04-01-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChadwickS (Post 3251301)
How do I do that? I can't seem to find any contact info on the forums.

Thanks!

http://www.outmotoring.com/pages.php?pageid=6

Let us know if you figure anything out.

davisflyer 04-01-2011 06:25 PM

Why not just order the S grilles. They can't cost that much....

Blainestang 04-01-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by davisflyer (Post 3251415)
Why not just order the S grilles. They can't cost that much....

It's a matter of whether or not they will fit. The cost is definitely reasonable, like you said.

ChadwickS 04-04-2011 09:50 AM

MINI changed the grill enough that this particular grill cannot work on the 2011 and we have not found another version that will work, unfortunately...
Best regards,
Aaron Cornaby : Head Motorer
Out Motoring
MINI Cooper Aftermarket Boutique
I guess I am going to paint the stock grill black :sad:

amberback 04-04-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChadwickS (Post 3253102)
I guess I am going to paint the stock grill black :sad:

I'd contact a dealer and see if they know if the S version will fit or not?

Ankur194 05-01-2011 06:34 PM

Bringing topic back!

Has anyone found a grill yet? What about the driving light grill, its 126 bucks from mini accesories and its black, can that work?

Juancho 05-13-2011 05:07 AM

I was actually looking at getting a black grill for my non-S. I saw this is mossmini.com. It looks like its similar to the JCW aero kit grill. They have a non-S listing for it, I just don't know anyone whos done it with success.

http://www.mossmini.com/Browse/Plate...ComponentID=46

amberback 05-13-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Juancho (Post 3283266)
I was actually looking at getting a black grill for my non-S. I saw this is mossmini.com. It looks like its similar to the JCW aero kit grill. They have a non-S listing for it, I just don't know anyone whos done it with success.

http://www.mossmini.com/Browse/Plate...ComponentID=46

This looks the same as the one Outmotoring offers. I have the one from Outmotoring, it came in a BMW box so I'm pretty sure it is a MINI part. The problem is that this one does not fit the 2011 because of the new changes.

Juancho 05-13-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by amberback (Post 3283270)
This looks the same as the one Outmotoring offers. I have the one from Outmotoring, it came in a BMW box so I'm pretty sure it is a MINI part. The problem is that this one does not fit the 2011 because of the new changes.

Ahh, ok. I didn't realize there was changes to the 2011 grill. Good thing I posted here. I just contacted moss to see what they tell me.

vaper 05-13-2011 07:28 AM

I'd imagine that since MINI is now offering the JCW package (7HN) for the Cooper and it includes the black grill that the black grill can be ordered as a replacement part and therefore should be able to be ordered straight from MINI even if it was not as a replacement. Anyone?

ChadwickS 05-13-2011 08:02 AM

That's good new, but yeah the one on the mossmini site will not fit 2011 models even though it doesn't say that.

Juancho 05-13-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChadwickS (Post 3283380)
That's good new, but yeah the one on the mossmini site will not fit 2011 models even though it doesn't say that.

Ya, just heard back from mossmini. Bummer. Are there plans for the updated grill?

The answer to your question is no, the combination you describe will not work. BMW made more modifications in the 2011, and apparently the grille is among them.

amberback 05-13-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by vaper (Post 3283349)
I'd imagine that since MINI is now offering the JCW package (7HN) for the Cooper and it includes the black grill that the black grill can be ordered as a replacement part and therefore should be able to be ordered straight from MINI even if it was not as a replacement. Anyone?

That should work. You *should* be able to order that 1 part separately if you call the parts department at your local dealer. I don't think that package was available when this thread was created...

(Personally I like to deal with Colin from MINI of Ontario for parts even though he's on the opposite of the country as me... he always answers emails fast and is super helpful/knowledgeable. colinb@miniofontario.com http://www.miniofontario.com/MeetOurDepartments )

stilix 06-02-2011 12:03 AM

Anyone try to fit black grill yet?

grueinthebox 06-03-2011 05:25 AM

Had a non-S JCW grille from my 2010 that I tried to fit on my 2011 back in January... Problem with fitment is that the bumper on the 2011 sticks out further than the 2010 - grille is the right height and width, but isn't long enough when installed.

S grille isn't going to fit - it's not a problem with the hood, it's the difference in the corners of the lower grille / trim - the "S" corners are slightly more "pointy" than the non-S (find pics and compare).

RealOEM.com confirms that the grille with the JCW aero kit is the same for S/Non-S (same part number). Since they no longer have to accommodate a difference in the hood, presumably the whole front bit of the kit is the same. So the grille by itself won't fit a non-S.

To the point, I believe we're screwed when it comes to a JCW grille for 2011-2012 Coopers with stock bumpers as I don't see them releasing a JCW part specific for that application. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong - I've got my grille slats painted black, but it just doesn't look as good as the JCW grille did on my 2010.

I'm on the lookout for a good deal on an S front bumper, myself... If I don't find one I may bite the bullet and buy a JCW front bumper just to be rid of the MINI-blind look (pun intended). :wink:

Juancho 06-03-2011 05:42 AM

Now that I have my car, Im glad the Aero grill didn't fit. I like the retro look the chrome gives it with the lamps too.

ChadwickS 06-03-2011 06:28 AM

Thanks for the info grueinthebox I think I am going to paint my grill black also. It's still a cool look but I agree that its not as cool as the JCW one.

grueinthebox 08-03-2011 03:09 PM

Was checking RealOEM.com to get the part number for the chrome rib for the lower grille (mine got knocked off by a flying tire tread on the freeway yesterday), and noticed that they list two non-chrome package grilles for the '11+ non-S Coopers there:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=51&fg=15&hl=2

02Grill frontSCHWARZ1

02Grill frontCHROM1

"SCHWARZ" translates to "black"... Wondering what that grille looks like. Anyone have any info, or able to find anything by the PN?

jloehle 09-12-2011 09:28 AM

any new news on these? I'd like to replace the grill on my 2012 non-S I just bought.

Joe

grueinthebox 09-13-2011 03:52 PM

I haven't taken the time to pursue it - the parts department on this side of town isn't that spectacular and I haven't been to the MINI dealer on the other side of town for awhile.

I did end up redoing my grille with plastidip spray instead of paint after getting my new lower trim bit. If anyone's thinking of painting, I'd have to say I'm liking the plastidip better. It matches very closely in color and texture to the unpainted wheel arches and lower body side moldings.

It occurs to me that if anyone cares to e-mail OutMotoring, they might be able to find out about the black vs. chrome part numbers... If it panned out, could potentially be a new product for them to stock.

unibus_driver 09-13-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by grueinthebox (Post 3335247)
Was checking RealOEM.com to get the part number for the chrome rib for the lower grille (mine got knocked off by a flying tire tread on the freeway yesterday), and noticed that they list two non-chrome package grilles for the '11+ non-S Coopers there:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=51&fg=15&hl=2

02Grill frontSCHWARZ1

02Grill frontCHROM1

"SCHWARZ" translates to "black"... Wondering what that grille looks like. Anyone have any info, or able to find anything by the PN?

Mini of South Atlanta has these two parts with prices and an assembly detail sketch.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6hmxgjr

jloehle 09-14-2011 08:49 AM

I sent a link to this thread to Aaron Cornaby at Outmotoring.com after asking him if he had any updates.

He seemed excited about it actually said "this MAY be the part we have been waiting for and all though it is not the black mesh style the black horizontal rib grill would be exciting for a LOT of cooper owners...I am ordering 3 today to see what I get..."

Cross our fingers.

Joe

S&CLC 09-14-2011 06:10 PM

I be "justa" awaitin'... (crossing fingers)

2011 Cooper HB (non-S)

darwinian 09-17-2011 12:16 AM

i wouldn't paint the base grille because the paint would be chipped off. that's what happened to the paint on my headlight rings.

SODA66 09-26-2011 06:11 AM

Use black tape( electrical tape ) on the grille. Thats what I did.

Korben Dallas 09-26-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by grueinthebox (Post 3358274)
I haven't taken the time to pursue it - the parts department on this side of town isn't that spectacular and I haven't been to the MINI dealer on the other side of town for awhile.

I did end up redoing my grille with plastidip spray instead of paint after getting my new lower trim bit. If anyone's thinking of painting, I'd have to say I'm liking the plastidip better. It matches very closely in color and texture to the unpainted wheel arches and lower body side moldings.

It occurs to me that if anyone cares to e-mail OutMotoring, they might be able to find out about the black vs. chrome part numbers... If it panned out, could potentially be a new product for them to stock.

Is the pic in your sig before or after you painted? I'm trying to paint just the ribs of my front grill but can't figure out how to take just the ribs off to paint! I don't want to have to spend hours masking the front of the car to paint just the ribs. Can you share what you painted and how you did it?

jloehle 09-26-2011 02:15 PM

Outmotoring got some in:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop..._facelift.html