North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   If you had to choose... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/199589-if-you-had-to-choose.html)

Albiecrazy 11-13-2010 04:54 AM

If you had to choose...

So Santa may be throwing a little something in my stocking this year, but not enough to do both of these things. I just want to get a little more performance out of my MC so - would you:

1. Install lowering springs - 1.2" - 1.4"' drop

or

2. Catback exhaust with a slash tip (probably Borla)

drewstermalloy 11-13-2010 08:37 AM

I'd do the springs. In a Cooper I'd go with suspension over power every time, but I'm sure others have different opinions.

Either one would make the car more fun. :thumbsup:

RJKimbell 11-13-2010 08:44 AM

I was torn 'til I saw the word "drop" I'd definitely do anything that would drop that Bad Boy!! :lol:

Me...I think the Stainless Steel Pedal Kit is going to L@@K Killer!! I've got plenty of performance in the Molly Car and I really don't need any suspension mods., so I'll just stick with the cosmetic stuff!! :roll:

Albiecrazy 11-13-2010 09:25 AM

I'm leaning towards the drop... I think it would also eliminate that *sideways hop* when I hit a bump in a turn. But I'm a little worried about the scraping in and out of entrances and iffy roads.

Burble would be nice, but I could always slap on an exhaust tip alone to dress up the tail end... :thumbsup:

miniblucabrio 11-14-2010 06:58 PM

go for the drop:thumbsup: as far as scraping you will learn how to avoid it. i had a lowered car that wouldn't clear a soda can but i never scraped on anything if i was paying attention:lol: as for the noise issue you can have just a muffler welded in place with a nice shiny tip and it will give you all the sound you want.

drewstermalloy 11-14-2010 07:46 PM

What he^ said. My car is 4.5" off the ground and I haven't bottomed out once.

WayMotorWorks 11-20-2010 08:09 AM

Yes the springs would be a better gain, also don't forget about a rear sway bar.

hsautocrosser 11-20-2010 08:39 AM

I've done everything allowed* to my suspension except for shocks. Where can I get a Borla cat-back exhaust for a 2nd gen MC?

*autocross rulez

Albiecrazy 11-23-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hsautocrosser (Post 3163436)
I've done everything allowed* to my suspension except for shocks. Where can I get a Borla cat-back exhaust for a 2nd gen MC?

*autocross rulez

I hadn't found a cat-back exhaust by Borla for an MC. I only found one by Megan Racing - but I liked the Borla tip.

I'm kinda liking the H&R Touring Cup Kit and the 17% off sale is verrrrrrry tempting...

Albiecrazy 11-28-2010 06:32 PM

The peer pressure around here is relentless. And one-sided. :lol: But I chose to drop the Kid. :thumbsup:

Went with Alta's Black Friday deal on the Sport Suspension Package - H&R springs, Alta 19mm rear sway bar and Alta end links. Come March, he'll be 1.5" closer to the asphalt! :nod:

RJKimbell 11-28-2010 07:42 PM

After Santa brings that stuff...how on earth are you going to keep your mitts off of it and NOT install it 'til March??!! :confused: :impatient: :lol: :thumbsup:

Albiecrazy 11-29-2010 10:01 PM

:lol: Since my mitts have no idea how to install them, it shouldn't be too bad. I'll be the guy going out to the garage just to look at them though... :nod:

Albiecrazy 12-06-2010 04:57 PM

1/3 of my order is here...

http://on.miniusa.com/servlet/ImgSer...72/Springs.jpg

Yeah, I may be the only guy who takes pics of the springs before they go on the car... :roll:

KevinC 12-06-2010 09:34 PM

Don't do springs without upgrading your shocks - BIG mistake, despite what some will try to tell you to the contrary. I'd ditch the runflats first, if you haven't already. That's singularly THE best upgrade you can do for yourself and your car.

Albiecrazy 12-07-2010 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by KevinC (Post 3171309)
Don't do springs without upgrading your shocks - BIG mistake, despite what some will try to tell you to the contrary. I'd ditch the runflats first, if you haven't already. That's singularly THE best upgrade you can do for yourself and your car.

I'm open to suggestions on shocks. :thumbsup:

Running my winter tires now, but my Falkens seem to be toast with 25,000 miles on them - the noisiest tire I've ever had. Gotta think about their replacements, too.