Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Seat recline not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Tres bien!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Idaho Mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just hold the lever and body slam the seat. It worked like charm. I had a strap between the 2 headrests as my "interior ski rack" to keep my skis from scratching the interior and I must have twisted the seat. I tried the nice way but ended up slamming my 215lb self in to the seat, heard the loud crack and now it's as good as new.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
mono.volador
Neutral
I saw this problem addressed through a Google search, joined the forum just to find the answer ... viola! Another vote for the body-slam!!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM
WORD
Neutral
Finally! I just got my passenger seat to work after four months of having it stuck in the typical 3/4 reclined position.

The key is to have good leverage when you thrust your body against the seat back. Well, the real key is to stop being a wuss. That's right, get hardcore with you're precious, leather-wrapped gem and forget about breaking the thing. I'm fairly certain if this method doesn't fix it, you're seat is already broken. You've read it several times, but let me explain my method. After all, I've tried this body slam method countless times to no avail. **Warning: use your own judgment. You could potentially hurt yourself slamming into an object like a seat. This is just an account of what worked for me.

1.) Move the front seat as far forward as it will go. Make sure the seat back is in the fully (as full as it will go that is) reclined position. If your problem is like mine was, it will only lock into 3/4-reclined or all-the-way forward positions.

2.) Kneel on the seat so that you're facing the naughty seat back. I'm 6'1" so, believe me, my head was rubbing the ceiling, and my butt, the dash. This should cram you in there pretty good. Savor this moment for a second, because you're about to have some fun. Curl your feet up under the glove box, so that the ***** of your feet are pressed firmly against the floorboard underneath it. At this point you'll feel like a compressed human spring. That's the ticket.

3.) Here's the fun part. Pull up on the inboard adjustment lever and hold until procedure is complete. Turn your body slightly so that your shoulder is facing the seat back. Aim your shoulder at the seat back, first targeting the center of the seat (more on this in step 6).

4.) LAUNCH HARD by pushing yourself off from the floorboard. Combine this floorboard-pushing with gravity, that is, allow your body weight to free fall into the seat. Despite this force, my shoulder was not injured at all - a testament to BMW's creature comfort over functionality. You will hear a "oh crap something's wrong" noise as others have described. It's so nasty, yet so liberating. At this point the seat should have reclined all the way.

The seat should work normally now. If not, see step 6.

6.) Bonus Round! My first attempt didn't work. I re-aimed my shoulder so that it was facing slightly more left than before. I launched again. Still nothing. Finally, I re-aimed slightly right of the seat back's center. CRACK! Works great now.

As others have pointed out, the seat gets slightly twisted somehow and needs to be thrown back into its central position. Mine happened after I fell asleep New Year's Eve hanging half-way out of the car's passenger seat in a friend's driveway. Punishment for my inebriation I suppose. Anyway, this explains why the right side would be farther back than the left (body weight leaning on it for hours).

I still can't say for sure if my final CRACK was attributed to this "twist" issue, or if the seat just finally gave up. Either way, I'm happy.

Thanks, NAM!

Last edited by WORD; 03-21-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added warning in second paragraph.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Three Fat Tigers
Neutral
Just to add to the many testimonies: 2005 Cabrio: Passenger seat jammed in the normal upright position. Placing the seat in the easy entry position then holding the inboard recline lever up, the seat back would only return to that same position, the same as if you didn't pull the lever. Sat in the seat, pulled up the inboard lever and pressed myself in to the back, with very little effort there was a loud bang, result is 100% normal operation.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Nitro22
2nd Gear
Had the same problem. Driver side stuck at 3/4 position and only reclined forward for easy entry position. Slider worked of course. I actually use my driver side MINI seat for my custom Gran Turismo 5 frame, so it was a bit annoying when playing in one reclined position.

Did the same push back into the seat hard while holding the recline lever up. Bam! It worked! Definitely need to apply your force as high on the seat back as possible to attain the greatest leverage on the mechanism.

Thanks NAM!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now it would be great if we could body-slam the Superchargers, waterpumps, PS pumps, radiator fans... to work.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 AM
allylangton
Neutral
Big thanks from English mini drivers!

Hi, we were also stuck with a permanently half-reclined passenger seat. We googled to find a solution, and found your forum. Like your other users, we had to work REALLY HARD to get it to work (neither of us is very big and strong!!!), but finally, with me sitting in the driver's seat pulling up on the lever, and pushing back on the seat with my other hand, and my husband sitting in the passenger seat with his feet braced on the door frame and dashboard, pushing back as hard as possible, there was suddenly a little click and- voila - the ratchet is suddenly working again and the seat reclines beautifully. Thank you so much guys, this is the second time you've helped us as last year we fixed our non-retracting window thanks to your forum.

Ally, Tunbridge Wells, England

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM
gomininj
Neutral
Great to see others having success with their stuck seat scenarios. In our case, the passenger seat back in my wife's mini will go forward to the easy entry position (not stuck in one position). When I raise the inner handle, the seat will go back but latches about 20 degrees past vertical, and will not go back further. I tried aligning the levers and tried some brute force but not extreme pressure yet. (Note I don't think its related to this problem, but the cable is broken that normally connects the seat back to the front lever that allows the seat to move forward when the seat back is in full forward position.)
Any tips will be greatly appreciated...

Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 AM
joemoeoc
1st Gear
My passenger seat has been stuck (in a comfortable position) since I bought it 9 months ago. after reading this thread, i FORCED it and BAM! Fixed! hilarious! My passenger window stopped working yesterday so i read about banging the door panel above the speaker... worked like a charm!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
BratFaceMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
My seat got stuck in an almost fully reclined position & no amount of upward force would make it budge. At this point I figured the seat was already broken so we can't break it more ehhh so a friend literally bounced up & down on his knees with all his weight on the seat back while pressing the recline lever. We heard an awful crack , the seat fully reclined, & poof the seat has worked perfectly since

p.s...I do not endorse this method to fix your seat but it worked for me

This fixed my seat! I am so glad I found this!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
d.bergman
Neutral
seat repair

Thanks everyone. I had to get my husband to help me with this, but the body slam technique did the trick.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Bodyslam!

After trying unsuccessfully by myself a few days ago to fix our stuck driver's seat (sitting in the passenger seat, pulling up on lever, using right arm to slam seat back), my wife and I gave it a try together tonight and it worked!

She sat in the passenger seat pulling up on the inboard lever and I slammed my whole body into the upper part of the back of the seat multiple times. After a few slams, one minor crack sound. It wasn't fixed yet, but it inspired us to continue with the bodyslamming! Finally a second crack and...fixed!

We just started laughing hysterically for about 2 minutes.

Apparently MINIs encourage and honor teamwork.

Definitely the most exhilarating repair I've done on it.

I think this serves as a nice complement to pounding the door above the speaker to get the power window motors to work.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM
woxof
Neutral
Just tried this method myself and it worked. Years ago, while under the bumper to bumper warranty, my wife managed to get the driver seat stuck in the fully reclined position. Took it to mini to have it repaired. This time the seat back was stuck in a single useable position. This is another in a long line of defects for us with this 2004 mini.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
dkohlmeier
Neutral
Force method definitely works. Thought I broke it at first when I heard the lod pop. The first guy that did this probably soiled himself when he heard that unexpected pop;-). But now it works perfectly!! Thanks guys!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Cowankelly
Neutral
You guys are awesome!!!

I just found this post while looking for a used passenger seat since the Mini dealership told me they couldn't fix it and the replacement was $900! The FRS brute force method worked like a charm. I am a 120-lb gal and it took me a few tries, but when I finally decided to leverage off the ceiling (!) with my foot I finally got that horrendous crack....followed by the glorious sound of the seat properly ratcheting back up. So psyched it worked that i registered on the site just so I could post! Thanks a million (or at least $900).

Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Kellski
Neutral
driver seat

Thank you for all the posts related the mini seats! I just rec'd an estimate of $900 to fix my driver seat that is stuck in the 'full recline' position. I've hired a '300 lb gorilla' to come over and jump on the seat. I'm really hoping it will work. Stay tuned!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
dcantwell
2nd Gear
The "Brute Force" method works.
One thing I ran into: make sure you have the seat allllll the way to the floor before you do it... I twisted my seat a little before I got it down, realizing I didn't have it to the floor.

After that, my 260lb buddy did the rest!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM
nachomorrison
Neutral
asiento mini cooper arreglado

Queria confirmar que la reparación sugerida para el asiento del mini cooper me funciono perfecto.
Tengo un mini cooper s 2006. El asiento después de haberlo liberado como para entrar a la parte posterior dejó de trabarse como para la posición de manejo y solo se ajustaba en casi la posición mas reclinada. Intente todo tipo de combinaciones con las manijas pero tenia solución. Finalmente decidí probar la opción de empujar sobre el respaldo hacia atrás con la fuerza de todo mi cuerpo y finalmente hizo "crack". Es cuando se arregló.

gracias y saludos.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nacho libre aqui...

no comprende todo

Kannst Du vielleicht in englisch schreiben???

Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
This should be a sticky. My friend just tried this (bad passenger seat stuck at 3/4 recline) today after many failed tries by body slamming. It really works w/o the abuse & punishment. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 03Works
Cheers and thanks to all of you for the seat fix. I tried to risk the body slamm, awful cracking metal to metal crash but my body is too small....Here is the fix after trying all the above:
1. take off the backs to your front seats it's easy just pull the tops and they pop out. Take of the inside and out side levers and release the "fabric bottoms whick attached underneath to the seats springs.
2. compare the rod connecting the levers if you can (my passenger seat worked fine so i used it as a reference.
3. put a crescent wrench on the rod and twist it to conform more closely to the good seat connecting rod.
4. you'll hear a metalic pop as you twist it
5. stop there
6. put the seat forwaed and do the instructions as posted on this sight by the many good fellows
7. you'll hear a pop as the seat reclins fully and you'll be thrilled as i was that you troublesome seat ain't no trouble any longer!

Thanks again to all our NAM buddies out there! And cheers again it works!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Sabari Devadoss
Neutral
Worked like a charm!! Thank you

05 Mini Cooper S

The driver side seat was stuck in full recline mode. I tried the softer BMW instructions and it didn't work. I then tried the full force technique and it worked like a charm. I actually didn't have to put too much force. I just put my knees on the seat and pushed down hard and I heard a click. I then tried the lever and it started to click like the old days.

Thanks for the help. It saved me some headache and $$!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
tangotaxi
Neutral
2003 Mini S seat stuck in recline RESOLVED!

I tried any number of "body slam" methods but the one that WORKED was the one suggested by Sabari in his post. I kneeled on the seat back and thrusted for lack of a better word... and the lovely sound of that "crack" and all was back to normal!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
MrMoody
Neutral
Another tip

The slam method worked on my daughter's Mini. Thanks guys!

One more tip: the more force you can apply to the handle, the less hard you have to body slam the seat. I was slamming and slamming with no luck, then I put a short piece of pipe on it so I could pull harder and that did the trick with only a medium slam. Just don't break the handle.

And be sure to do the factory realign from the 2nd post after you get it unjammed, this should help prevent recurrence.

Last edited by MrMoody; 10-28-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: slight correction
Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
jenbury
Neutral
To the users who have had success with this fix, Bravo. Unfortunately after body slamming a bit too enthusiastically I am now enjoying a nice backache and a feeling of defeat. How do you determine if the cable really is broken and it's time to cough up the $500+ repair? I think there is a few inches of looseness/play in my seat after hacking on it, that was not there before.... mine is stuck in about the 75-85% recline position. Done by a body shop that will not warranty it b/c they read these threads and believe it is an "issue that is so abundant it is poor workmanship/design". Funny that I did not jam it in my 8 years of owning the car.

Quick Reply: Seat recline not working