Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Please lube rear hatch hinges...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h20baby
Although it is unknown whether the formula contains fish oil, material safety data sheets for the product show that the main ingredient is Stoddard solvent, not fish oil.[2] WD-40 is, however, used by some sea fishermen as an added scent when fishing with bait.
Yes, WD40 does smell delicious. 'It's a floor wax.' 'It's a dessert topping.' 'It's a floor wax.' 'It's a dessert topping.' 'It's a floor wax and a dessert topping!'

Zip

Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 AM
saturn5rocket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BG'sMC
Interesting to read this. I noticed on my 03 that the right side of the hatch was sticking out about 1/4" beyond the body. The Mini Service Tech told me the hinges had siezed a bit and bent. I quit using the hatch and watched the gap grow to about 1" without ever opening the hatch. Anyone ever seen this, or any ideas on what happened?
I had the same problem with my 02 MC. I watched the gap grow to the point where the hatch wouldn't lock. When I tried to adjust the hinges, the drivers side hinge snaped. Fortunately it was covered under warranty.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
StillK
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We are talking the hinges at the top near the roof not the latch near the bumper right? I checked mine (2003 MC)
and could see no rust - living where I do everything rusts with the amount of salt they use in the winter. When they rust does the hatch bind? Mine seems to open and close with no problems.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 AM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
Good info on this thread. My left hinge broke at 94,000 miles (Car bought in July 2005). The design is really pretty poor. The hinge is a piece of sheet metal wrapped around a steel pin. When rust collects between the pin and the sheet metal hinge, the sheet metal no longer pivots on the pin but instead, it stays put, so when you open the hatch, the sheet metal part of the hinge bends back and forth until eventually it breaks, which it did in my case. I've owned hundreds of cars in my life and I've NEVER replaced a trunk hinge. Stay tuned.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
HATCH HINGE PROBLEM

Just to follow up on the hatch hinge problem with my '05 MINI, here's the latest. As previously mentioned, the hinge is a poor design, with a sheet metal hinge wrapped around a steel pin. Rust builds up between the pin and the sheet metal hinge, the hinge then becomes solid and the sheet metal part flexes back and forth until it breaks. The good news-repaired under warranty. Once again the guys at Classic MINI came through and kept my MINI running along at a high rate of speed. Thanks again to Joey1320 for the heads up on this problem. Remember, my car is just over 2 years old and had this hinge failure. Oil your hinges on a regular basis. They're really up in an enclosed area so not easy to oil, (which makes you wonder how they got rusted) but you definitely do want them oiled. Happy motoring!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 PM
D0HC
Neutral
?

Does anyone know what is covered/done by the dealer to fix this problem? Or do they just replace it with the same sort of hinge set up? Thanks.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:20 AM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by D0HC
Does anyone know what is covered/done by the dealer to fix this problem? Or do they just replace it with the same sort of hinge set up? Thanks.
I looked at-but did not closely examine-the old hinges and the new ones and they looked about the same. I'm sure that if they are properly oiled the new ones will be OK, but, as previously mentioned-IT'S A DUMB DESIGN. Also, I didn't see anything in the manual about the need to oil the hinges, and chances are the dealer didn't do it when you took your baby in for general serevice. If you can't get them fixed under warranty-and BMWMINI should honor that-they cost a little over 20 bucks apiece-replace them both. The service Tigers at Classic MINI replaced mine in about a half hour or so. You have to drop the headliner to get at the hinge to body mounting bolts, but the rest is easy. Two (maybe three) guys to mount the hatch back on the new hinges. Happy motoring!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
jayski
1st Gear
Hatch Hinges

Just had to replace the hinges on my 03 Cooper.
Was having problems closing the hatch - seemed to be out of alignment. Took it to Fairfield Mini in Ct and was told that this is a common problem with Mini's - and that I would be better off taking it to a body shop as they would be sending it out to a shop to repair.
The hinges themselves cost only $31 - but the labor involved was 4 hours - got the pix to show the steps that the shop took.
Contacted Mini customer support as I felt that this was a design flaw as I have owned all sorts of cars, 36 to be specific, and never have had a hinge fail!
I was told by Mini USA that this is attributable to normal wear and tear.

Not very happy.

jayski
03 Cooper
VR?VR

Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
oats15
Neutral
I'm not trying to bring back old threads, but I have had the same problem. I have an 06 with 50k on it. One hinge broke and it cause the other to bend and broke a hydaulic cylinder. I was not very happy.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
krisdock
Neutral
The rear hatch hinge just broke on my '03 mini (50,000 miles, no more warranty). I was in the grocery store parking lot holding my hatch, just flabbergasted. In general, I LOVE my mini, but it is LAME that this wasn't a recall if it happens a lot.
Any advice on a do-it-yourself fix? Posts of the photos from the shop work?
Thanks

Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krisdock
The rear hatch hinge just broke on my '03 mini (50,000 miles, no more warranty). I was in the grocery store parking lot holding my hatch, just flabbergasted. In general, I LOVE my mini, but it is LAME that this wasn't a recall if it happens a lot.
Any advice on a do-it-yourself fix? Posts of the photos from the shop work?
Thanks
Ah... this is funny. You should have taken a photo and send it to MINI.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My hinge on my 06 just broke! Should have read this thread earlier

Old 08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by LizzyBobio
My hinge on my 06 just broke! Should have read this thread earlier
eeek!

note to self: lube my hinges!

i'm sorry to hear yours broke, but your update to this thread is what brought the thread to my attention ... so thanks for that, you may save me a hinge someday!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
TSR53
5th Gear
In case you missed my first posting and good for a bump...

The proper lubricant to use is Würth HHS 2000.

I'm going out in the garage and spray some more on the hinge again!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bratling
eeek!

note to self: lube my hinges!

i'm sorry to hear yours broke, but your update to this thread is what brought the thread to my attention ... so thanks for that, you may save me a hinge someday!
Glad to help Dealer service said "What is it with these lately?!"

Old 08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
02 traded recently ... 0ver 80,000 miles .. bought off the lot in 02

no hinge problems

never lubed 'em

sorry

Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
I was having a little trouble with my boot lately, but I thought it was just a weak hydraulic arm or something. But then yesterday the right hinge on my 05 MC snapped in two, when I was trying to shut the door. I looked like an idiot wrestling against the hydraulics to get the darn thing closed. I just found the hinge part number and am going to try to have a local guy fix it up for me. I feel a little better knowing this isn't an uncommon problem - I've been having a string of bad luck lately, mostly not MINI-related.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM
autoxgod
1st Gear
Saved $700 in hinge replacement-DIY EZ

OK, so my hinge on the hatch broke on my 05' R50. Brought it to Knauz Mini and was told it's $700 to replace them, $600 not painted.

So I bought a pair of hinges from the Penske website, took a look at the headliner, gave it a slight pull and found the inner nuts where the hinges are mounted. It's a simple 13mm socket on a small ratchet for the inside nut and a star wrench for the outside bolt, I replaced them in about 15 minutes. Saved $700...

Jim

Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
autox thanks for the how to. I'm hoping never to have to replace mine, but it is great to know that it is not a bad job.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
laureleb
Neutral
BOTH boot hinges broken!

I love my '06 dearly, but.... this Spring the left boot hinge broke, and also broke a strip of plastic along the window in the process. Cost $800+ to have this fixed. NOW the right hinge is bent, and I'm on my way to having it replaced as well. I contacted our dealership (have bought 2 minis there) as well as MiniUSA. Not a happy motorer - I think the company should have replaced this as it's definitely a defect, and mine is no longer under warranty.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Checking mine in 5 min., using white grease in a spray can.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:26 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Great, yet another "common MINI problem"! Where do you get that "Wurth" stuff?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 AM
TSR53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ellcapitan
Great, yet another "common MINI problem"! Where do you get that "Wurth" stuff?
Do a google search for "Wurth HHS 2000". And then click the shopping results. Can be purchased through Amazon.com. This German grease is by far the BEST solution for preventative maintenance on these hinges. I'm going out this morning to grease mine again!

http://www.amazon.com/Wurth-HHS-2000.../dp/B0002XRDLE

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Thanks for the link. Just ordered a can. Pricey stuff!!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the link Thompson. Just ordered a can for the garage shelf. Much cheaper than replacing hatch hinges.....

Quick Reply: Please lube rear hatch hinges...