Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Power Steering Pump Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 PM
mini_geoff
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Power Steering Pump Problems???

I have a 2003 Mini S and I've been having a lot of problems with the Power Steering pump. The first time it failed, I took it to the dealership and they wouldnt fix it(I have no clue why, they wouldnt give me a specific reason). Paid a nearby Bimmer shop $800 and it was all good. 2nd time failed a few months later. Ordered the part from the dealership and I did the swap myself. It's been about 9 months since I last replaced it. Is there any alternative power steering pump upgrade or anything that will last longer?(I watch the tutorials on Youtube by ModMini). I dont want to keep spending a ton of money replacing the stupid power steering pump, nor sell the car since it's my first car and I love it so much. Going manual steering isnt much of an option either since I run extremely wide tires. (I am mechanically inclined, havent spent much time on Minis though.) Any info would be greatly appreciated if I'm doing it wrong or if Im buying the wrong brand, etc.

Thanks!!!
(New to this Forum)

Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving this to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues section.

Are you sure your PS fan is working? The pump is electrical and has a large fuse, 1000 amps. That size fuse means there is allot of heat down there and if the fan is not working correctly you are going to fry the pump motor.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
mini_geoff
Neutral
Yeah. I can see its working and hear it every once in a while.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
New Factory MINI parts should have a two year warranty, but I'm not sure if they need to be dealer installed. Also, there's a NHTSA power steering pump recall on 2002- some 2005 MINI's. You can check your VIN to see the status of your car. You might also be able to be reimbursed for the repair(s) if they say it's no longer eligible because you already changed it.

If you're really lucky, you might get the recall and reimbursement(s).

Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, if you bought the pump from a dealer it should have a 2 year manufacture warranty on the part. Does not need to be installed by a dealer for the warranty to be utilized. Our Genuine MINI power steering pump we sell also comes with the 2 year manufacture warranty. I'd just be sure to inspect and see if anything else would/could be causing the issue. I know you said you see/hear your power steering fan work, but just to be sure when you turn on your AC that the fan does in deed engage. You can also get under there and spin it to see if it moves freely. Make sure the grille is on it to protect it from any debris on the road. You maybe got a faulty pump so I'd call and utilize that warranty. I posted our DIY below as well just in case you want more info or a guide. Good luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 AM
mini_geoff
Neutral
Thanks again for the replies. I'll try to take it back and get a new one. And I'll check my fan if it's working properly.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
mini recall

Originally Posted by mini_geoff
Thanks again for the replies. I'll try to take it back and get a new one. And I'll check my fan if it's working properly.
Like many has pointed out, there have been a recall on some 1st gen Minis. Please do look up the recall with your VIN on MINI USA site. There is no excuse for your local MINI dealer not to explain more as to why they won't service your power steering problem, may be a possibility there is some misunderstanding between you.