Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replacing Entire Oil Housing Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:26 AM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Entire Oil Housing Assembly

Does anyone have links to threads that show this process?

I busted the drain-back plug a while back, replaced it with an equivalent plug from local auto store which got rid of the oil light at idle but then returned two weeks later. The engine seems to still run smooth but I've been driving it for several months now and the oil light comes on at idle once the engine is up to temp, its not immediate. Once I hit the throttle the light goes bye-bye.

So i finally got new gaskets, new pressure sensor, and a cleaned up used housing to replace. Any guidance or DIY articles?

Should i try to take the plunger from the replacement housing and try that first?

Should I just try to replace the sensor?

If I replace the housing, I plan to remove heat shields, probably remove the passenger axle, lower mount, drain oil before, remove filter cap for clearance , remove heat exchanger with hoses still clamped for clearance then try to unbolt and wiggle out the housing.