Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

EML & dead Mini

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Clarkwb100
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EML & dead Mini

I have a 2005 base Mini with CVT, it has 110K miles. Recently I replaced the alternator and belt. Shortly thereafter the EML light began coming on sporadically along with the service engine soon light (all the time). Even the "check gas cap" appeared sporadically.

I replaced the crankshaft sensor. and everything looked ok for about a week. Put some Lucas fuel tank additive and filled up with premium (as always).

Shortly thereafter the same series of lights appeared

Auto Zone used the OBDII and reported only a leak in the system and suggested a new gas cap.

Yesterday, the EML light came on at 65 MPH and the engine lost power, as the speed was reduced to about 50 the engine was restored to full power.

I got home and decided to attempt to clear all codes by disconnecting the battery overnight.

After reconnecting the battery, the car will not start but cranks strong. Checked all connections with none seemingly loose

WHat can be wrong? How should I now go about diagnosis & repair? I have now disconnected the battery for charging. Please offer advice>

Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM
fozzy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you had the battery checked? I have heard all our cars do all sorts of things when the battery starts to go.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM
wedge07
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarkwb100
I have a 2005 base Mini with CVT, it has 110K miles. Recently I replaced the alternator and belt. Shortly thereafter the EML light began coming on sporadically along with the service engine soon light (all the time). Even the "check gas cap" appeared sporadically.

I replaced the crankshaft sensor. and everything looked ok for about a week. Put some Lucas fuel tank additive and filled up with premium (as always).

Shortly thereafter the same series of lights appeared

Auto Zone used the OBDII and reported only a leak in the system and suggested a new gas cap.

Yesterday, the EML light came on at 65 MPH and the engine lost power, as the speed was reduced to about 50 the engine was restored to full power.

I got home and decided to attempt to clear all codes by disconnecting the battery overnight.

After reconnecting the battery, the car will not start but cranks strong. Checked all connections with none seemingly loose

WHat can be wrong? How should I now go about diagnosis & repair? I have now disconnected the battery for charging. Please offer advice>
I had a similar issue. Disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes cleared the EML, but it came back on with a vengeance. It has been explained to me that because the MINI is fly-by-wire, the engine will turn over but not start in some cases of EML indication. Kind of a PITA. I have since bought a code reader and keep it in the glovebox so I can clear the EML at will instead of waiting 15 minutes. Don't forget, the rear hatch is electric so if it closes, the emergency release is under the rear seat.