Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help I'm at a loss...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 PM
weskelley86
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I changed the belt and plugs to what was recommended by everyone and I saw a little improvement to the car but still didn't resolve the issue. The crank pulley checked OK I tried to wiggle it and see if there was any movement to it, and Nada (yay!)! But I'm still getting some back pressure from under the valve cover when its idling, and the boost gauge is still reason way negative unless I get on it. So I'm guessing the BPV?!? I would try re-zip tying it but I'm out of zip ties unless I have some hidden in the building somewhere. I'll upload the picture I took of the crank pulley after I get the kids down for the night.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weskelley86
So I changed the belt and plugs to what was recommended by everyone and I saw a little improvement to the car but still didn't resolve the issue. The crank pulley checked OK I tried to wiggle it and see if there was any movement to it, and Nada (yay!)! But I'm still getting some back pressure from under the valve cover when its idling, and the boost gauge is still reason way negative unless I get on it. So I'm guessing the BPV?!? I would try re-zip tying it but I'm out of zip ties unless I have some hidden in the building somewhere. I'll upload the picture I took of the crank pulley after I get the kids down for the night.
Good to hear you were able to get some stuff resolved. How many holes can you see on the tensioner now? 1/2 is what is appropriate if not I would point back to tensioner just worn completely out...Just one thing - you do know that our cars operate under vacuum for a good amount of time right...it's not gas = instant boost - as its supercharged its RPM dependent. My car is on jack stands right now otherwise I would tell you at what RPM in 3rd gear I go positive.....by the weekend I'll have it on the ground again..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
weskelley86
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see 1 hole now on the tensioner now, like the picture in the link I believe you posted. The car seems good except the vacuum issue but with you stating that our cars operate under vacuum normally makes me feel better about the situation and that maybe the engines PO had the BPV zipped tied shut and it finally just broke on me, because I had very instantaneous response before. but as promised here is the picture of the crank pulley, which to me looked relatively good, cracks, wobble, or anything I could see.

Attached Thumbnails Help I'm at a loss...-20150401_173811.jpg  

Last edited by weskelley86; 04-01-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weskelley86
I see 1 hole now on the tensioner now, like the picture in the link I believe you posted. The car seems good except the vacuum issue but with you stating that our cars operate under vacuum normally makes me feel better about the situation and that maybe the engines PO had the BPV zipped tied shut and it finally just broke on me, because I had very instantaneous response before. but as promised here is the picture of the crank pulley, which to me looked relatively good, cracks, wobble, or anything I could see.
It's also the new design which makes me feel better about it AND might indicate the engine in your car is from a 2005 or 2006. Would make more sense given you stated that the mileage on that motor was about 66K. I think you are probably good....the previous owner did some modding - he could have zip tied it... Not sure why he/she would given there are other ways to mess with the BPV...search for VGS mod and reverse VGS mod. Anyhow hopefully I get my car up and going this weekend and can reply back.