Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

wont start again, getting my mini on the road

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
excludedftcause
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont start again, getting my mini on the road

HELP!!!! i have an 06 cooper s, timing chain tensioner failed, upon startup broke chain and had two valves bad, rebuilt head, all new valves, did flywheel/clutch while in there. put everything back, all new timing parts, seals, etc. hooked everything up and started first time.....afterwards had 1 wire to hoop up, didnt know what it was or that it was hot, was the alternator wire and it sparked off the frame. car hasnt started since. have good fuel pressure, good spark, good injectors, good compression, all tests passed. so it has to be the electronic timing??? checked the wires from the camshaft position sensor and had hot going in, no ground coming from the ecu? sent the ecu in to ecu repair, guy said he found something burnt, replaced the parts, got it back and same thing... acts like it wants to start here and there but isnt electronically working the right time. what should i do next? replace camshaft position sensor and crank position sensor? how do i see if they are good? i reset the ecu just in case something was wrong there....nothing????? help

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
excludedftcause
Neutral
also, coolant was not in car when rigged first and second startup, ran for 10 seconds i turned the car off, then started up again. sparked the wire and had this issue....read codes today getting a 0340 camshaft position sensor 'a' circuit (bank 1 or single sensor) and a p1617 ecm h bridge controller? should i start by replacing camshaft position sensor? what is the other code? does crank with decent battery charge but battery could be getting drained a bit....... anyone????

Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 AM
kenshin
2nd Gear
I did something similar and fried the electrical in the car, turns out it was two flat fuses and a BCM module that needed replacing.

Did you check ALL the fuses? Here is a list of all the fuses http://www.murmini.com/pages/electrical

They are labeled FL1 - FL12, not your standard blade fuses, but flat fuses.

They are on the underside of the primary fuse box in the engine bay.
(stole a picture, thanks!)
When you're looking at the fuse box, there's two bolts (top and bottom, a bolt for a ground wire and a harness on the bottom left hand side). I had to undo all of that to flip the fuse box upside down, because that's where the flat blade fuses are.

Check those first. When I had the problem, it was the same, felt like it wanted to start but didn't. Turns out after I replaced the BCM/BC1 (which is different than the ECU - located in the passenger kick panel) I needed to replace I believe it was FL2 and FL7.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
excludedftcause
Neutral
i check all fuses, in motor bay(top side and just now the bottom side) and the inside panel, everything was good except a 5 amp fuse i think for the alarm system and replaced that....nothing