MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Hard starts
by klipper
10 Replies, 414 Views
Looking for improved ride
by Lantz
2 Replies, 98 Views
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Cost to replace Serpentine Belt

Ive got a 2002 MCS and the Serpentine belt is almost completely shot. Today it statred making a grinding sound so im guessing it needs to be replaced, sounds pretty pathetic actually I was just wondering if anybody has had experience taking it to the shop and how much of a dent it will put in my wallet to have them replace it. Or is this a job that one can do on their own with a little time and know how..thanks in advance,
Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
not to bad of a job- do a search good how to's will be found.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonking View Post
Ive got a 2002 MCS and the Serpentine belt is almost completely shot. Today it statred making a grinding sound....is this a job that one can do on their own with a little time and know how..thanks in advance,
The belt is definitely a do it yourself job. If you just need to change the belt then buy a tensioner tool and do it yourself. Or borrow one. I have lent mine out a couple of times. I would also get a half dozen of the fender-well clips (cheap) as they always seem to break.

But if yours is making noise then it may well be the tensioner assembly which is a bit more complicated as the engine will need to be lifted a bit if I remember correctly. Not hard, but trickier than just the belt.

A good independent tech with experience should be able to do both for you for an hours labor if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

And, yes, there are good instructions around. The hardest part is actually starting.

Rich
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM