Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rginter
I received my notice today that Mini USA is extending the warranty on my high pressure fuel pump to 120,000 miles or 10 years. No worries...
That's for 07-09 cars. The 2010s aren't covered under this. If they are, I haven't seen anyone that got a notice about it yet. My car was re-programmed so I'm hoping that's the fix I needed. Otherwise, I have a big problem.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
mickeyh
Neutral
Originally Posted by KevinC
What's worse is that BMW/MINI knows it's a problem, yet they have the dealer bullying owners about "bad gas" and trying to deflect blame. That's absolutely shameful.
I got that gas lecture last week after I took my car in when the CEL came on and stayed. A fresh new tank of "high quality" 93 octane (which I had only used the entire life of the car, but from Costco), and a bottle of their techron cleaner, same problem persists with my cold engine start.

Had the car towed back to Mini of Nashville yesterday and was told the problem might be the HPFP. They're going to run more tests to make sure. Ironically, got my warranty extended letter in the mail today.

What sucks - watching my 2009 Clubman S being towed away on it's 1 year birthday! :-(

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM
rginter
Neutral
Boo to bad gas...

My 2009 Cooper S only has ever seen 91 Octane from Costco (for the most part). I live in a state without higher grades of fuel (i.e. Ca*****nia) so obviously the bad gas explanation is garbage. I believe that our gas is 10% ethanol all year around too.

I have had no issue with the HPFP and even if it did, I'd still love her...
She's perfect....leather, nav...premium sound, wood trim, wood steering wheel, heated seats (did I mention I lived in San Diego), you name it.....

Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Letter from Mini yesterday, they are extending the warranty on the pump to 10 years or 120K. It seems it is viewed as a emissions issue, rather than a safety issue ( which would require a recall). It is transferable to new owners, so it covers used cars. 07 through 09 N14 engines.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive not recieved a letter yet, but then my hpfp has not been replaced.

now, they need to extend this to the t/c tensioner and related parts. If they do not, chances are I will not keep this car past 4 years.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone out there replaced their own HPFP? What does one cost? Can it be done, or does it require access to the programming facilities at a dealer?

Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
ive not recieved a letter yet, but then my hpfp has not been replaced.

now, they need to extend this to the t/c tensioner and related parts. If they do not, chances are I will not keep this car past 4 years.
+1. The chain tensioner issue seems to be far more widespread than the HPFP issue, it really needs to be officially addressed and warranty extended. The only reason I think it hasn't been yet is because the tensioner issue doesn't cause the short-term problems a faulty HPFP causes, i.e. it seems to be more of noise/long-term concern issue at this point, despite the obvious damage it can potentially cause.

I really hope BMW MINI does the right thing here, otherwise I don't see myself as a long-term owner either.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 AM
ucdinh
1st Gear
Just had mine replaced at 38k miles... I had to take it back to the mini dealer twice for them to figure out it was the hpfp, my car did not start up smoothly in the morning it sputtered for about 1 min before it settled and then drove normally for the rest of the day. The first time it did this I couldn't restart the car after it died, and then the next day, my check engine light turned on.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Just had mine replaced at 16k. Took the car in for it's scheduled oil changed asked them to look at the small leakage on the side of the HPFP and check the battery (car had to be jump started to get it into the service bay!).
Both the pump and battery replaced under warranty.

Mini of Tempe rocks...no issues with their service at all!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MINICDN
Mini of Tempe rocks...no issues with their service at all!
Agreed!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 PM
randyward
1st Gear
It was my turn this month for the HPFP. Had it replaced last week at 25K, and this was exactly 1 week after they did the chain/tensioner. What's next?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
acamer01
Neutral
And Yes my MC convertible 09 at 10k miles died yesterday. I will keep you posted on what it is as soon the dealer will let me know next week. It sounds to me is my fuel pump.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acamer01
And Yes my MC convertible 09 at 10k miles died yesterday. I will keep you posted on what it is as soon the dealer will let me know next week. It sounds to me is my fuel pump.

Are we given to understand that the fuel pump may have died on an MC rather than an MCS? My understanding is that the MC does not have4 the HPFP and I'm kinda interested to know if there are issues developing with th4e standard pump on the MC. I've not heard of any except perhaps this one so far.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
Are we given to understand that the fuel pump may have died on an MC rather than an MCS? My understanding is that the MC does not have4 the HPFP and I'm kinda interested to know if there are issues developing with th4e standard pump on the MC. I've not heard of any except perhaps this one so far.

+1

Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM
lunanoir
Neutral
just had mine replaced at 18k. The warning light came on for misfires, and after two days they determined that it was the HPFP. At least it didn't actually die while I was driving.

2009 MCS with an 01/2009 build date.

Last edited by lunanoir; 09-28-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I'm waiting on mine. 28k and I'm still on the original HPFP and chain tensioner. Starting to hear the tensioner more often, so hopefully they will replace that for me on Tuesday. Then I wait for the HPFP and the car should be good to go

Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
acamer01
Neutral
Yes Dealer just called me and they told me they are ordering a fuel pump. Not sure if its an HPFP. Will let you know when I get the car. Mini cooper Convertible 09 with 10k miles. Thanks to all for the help.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
Cooper or Cooper S? Coopers don't have a HPFP last time I checked.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 AM
acamer01
Neutral
So Chris G, do I understand correctly that the on going problems of fuel pumps is just with type S. Is my problem an isolated case? or somewhat isolated? and that MC have a standard pump, and MCS have an HPFP?
Thanks in advance

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 AM
Chris G
3rd Gear
From what I remember (from when I used to work parts at the dealer) is that the MINI S has a HPFP near/on the fuel rail and a pump in the tank like most cars do. I could be incorrect on the second portion of that statement because I don't recall ever stocking or ordering an in-tank pump for the Cooper S. The Cooper does have an in-tank fuel pump - so if they're replacing your fuel pump on your Justa it's probably the in-tank one. Sounds to me like an isolated issue.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
56rfixr
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris G
From what I remember (from when I used to work parts at the dealer) is that the MINI S has a HPFP near/on the fuel rail and a pump in the tank like most cars do. I could be incorrect on the second portion of that statement because I don't recall ever stocking or ordering an in-tank pump for the Cooper S. The Cooper does have an in-tank fuel pump - so if they're replacing your fuel pump on your Justa it's probably the in-tank one. Sounds to me like an isolated issue.

cooper has a single, in tank pump. if you are having a hard start issue with an r56 cooper, it probably has a leaking fuel rail.

Cooper S has an in tank pump, as well as a high pressure fuel pump. The tank pump puts out ~45 psi up to the HPP. the hpp then sends the fuel into the rail. I can't remember off the top of my head what the pressures produced by a hpp are. 5 bar at idle i think.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 56rfixr
cooper has a single, in tank pump. if you are having a hard start issue with an r56 cooper, it probably has a leaking fuel rail.

Cooper S has an in tank pump, as well as a high pressure fuel pump. The tank pump puts out ~45 psi up to the HPP. the hpp then sends the fuel into the rail. I can't remember off the top of my head what the pressures produced by a hpp are. 5 bar at idle i think.
You've missed a 0 from your quoted idle pressure for the HPFP!

The idle pressure is 50bar rising to 120bar at wide open throttle.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
acamer01
Neutral
Okay guys then my serv advisor is lying to me. He seems like a nice guy, but he is learning to lie like everybody in the dealer. He told me this was hpfp. Supposely tommorrow will be ready, and i will talk to him. And can you believe it has been a week. I also had an issue with the top and they are denying warranty. But can beleive that after week the mini rep hasn't been able to talk the deler.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MINI as of late has been on a disturbing trend of hiring dingbat "Service Advisors." If one says your Cooper's hpfp is on the blink, that is a dingbat new hire. that doesnt know shitte. The Cooper's N/A Prince engine is fuel injected, not direct injected. Only DI engines have hpfps.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Chris G
3rd Gear
I'm glad I ended up with a decent SA. Anyone in the San Diego area, the new dealership seems to be awesome so far.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement