R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Malice Cooper
Agreed. Why on earth would you need a camera in a MINI? I couldn't imagine an easier car to park.
I agree with that when it comes to me, but when somebody earlier in the thread mentioned that it might not be so easy for everybody to twist around in a seat or see as well as I do, well I got a lot more sympathy for the fact that a backup camera might save somebody inconvenience and discomfort.

I don't need one; you don't need one. Maybe some folks kind of do.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Sevenfeet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have kids, you appreciate having the backup camera. The reason we have them is because too many people were accidentally running over their own kids in the driveway with tragic results. Even in our house we've run over kids bikes twice because the old SUVs didnt have cameras. I want a camera!

Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
I agree as well …Especially coming from past vehicles..Audi's & Infinity's..almost standard. So once you get use to it…you sure do miss it!
Has nothing to do with being lazy…more with safety. I paid in low 40's with taxes & fees. Got everything but alarm & summer wheel package…bit would of spent a bit more if a camera were available…could not of been that much more…screen, video it's all there except for the little bullet camera.
Especially knowing all the issues with the cradle…would of happily spent in on a rear view camera & eliminated the armrest.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:03 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
If you can afford a $42K CM...you can afford to go get an aftermarket backup camera?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Augsburg57
1st Gear
I think anyone that has regularly used a good rear backup camera in conjunction with parking sensers would not question the idea of including one as an option in a a vehicle of the calibre of a Countryman. I also don't see them making claims that they can back up just as well with their mirrors only. My Audi Q7 has an excellent rear backup camera system. With that car, I typically back up listening to the audible signal, but still peek at the camera when I start out. It gives confidence that a small child or shopping cart is not out of view of my mirrors behind my rear bumper. Yes, I know the parking sensers should pick this up, but having driven systems with and without a camera, it is just not the same with an audible-only parking assist system.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
More than one reason for a backup camera!

It's a leap of faith every time I back out of my garage. The driveway slopes immediately down to the street, so my rearview mirror gives only a view of the sky. The size of my car has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
It's a leap of faith every time I back out of my garage. The driveway slopes immediately down to the street, so my rearview mirror gives only a view of the sky. The size of my car has nothing to do with it.
Consider backing in to the garage. Then you can head out to the street.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Bug Magnet
1st Gear
Hmmmm, turning and looking over one's right shoulder is fairly inexpensive and I haven't backed over the Dodge truck.... yet.
I bet you drive an automatic.
Geez...
-BM-

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I'm not sure what about this topic brings out the unkind, judgmental streak in some people. A backup camera is a fun little doodad. My car has like fifty fun little doodads, so why would I judge somebody for liking one that I don't need?

Heck, the ambient lighting has no practical application. The anthracite headliner is $250 and is functionally no different than the standard one. The cockpit trip is $250 and adds no functionality at all. Nobody's judging those (and they shouldn't).

Having a MINI is about being able to spend your money on the features that make you happy. For me, that's a manual without parking assist (and with the grey headliner and piano black trim). But if somebody's having fun in an automatic, why not let them have fun? And if somebody thinks a backup camera might be more safe, comfortable, or convenient, so what? What's the point in comments that belittle other people's choices in options and doodads?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by unibus_driver
Consider backing in to the garage. Then you can head out to the street.
LOL, backing into a garage, a camera might come in even more handy, particularly if you have kids who leave bikes and trikes all over the place.

Last edited by tippykayak; 05-23-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Get the park distance control in conjunction with the MINI Connected (or just nav) screen. Then the backup system displays a cool map showing you where things are behind you - this is showing the edge of my garage door just behind and to the left )it's actually being a bit conservative as in real life from this position I could back straight out).

With that in place, I feel very little need for a camera and in fact the current display is easier to read quickly and judge distance than a camera image.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM
mini_z
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kgelner
Get the park distance control in conjunction with the MINI Connected (or just nav) screen. Then the backup system displays a cool map showing you where things are behind you - this is showing the edge of my garage door just behind and to the left )it's actually being a bit conservative as in real life from this position I could back straight out).

With that in place, I feel very little need for a camera and in fact the current display is easier to read quickly and judge distance than a camera image.
This is the best up-grade I got. I wish there was one for the front also. I do alot of parking in NYC in tight spaces.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 AM
evobunny
1st Gear
http://www.cartronics.com/Mini.html

Saw this back up camera set up for mini. but dont know if this would work on 2011 and up countryman.

Would be a nice upgrade

Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
really coool stuff

thanks alot,
you just found me more ways to spend my money Ianit got

Originally Posted by evobunny
http://www.cartronics.com/Mini.html

Saw this back up camera set up for mini. but dont know if this would work on 2011 and up countryman.

Would be a nice upgrade

Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
In japan the countrymen have the option for rear camera. i dont know why we get a video game style setup. The park distance control with the connect does really work well. i'm very glad i added it.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Zuman
2nd Gear
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Midnight Blue
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryanzak
...only complaint, other than the clutch.. which I am dealing with. :-)
+1 on the backup camera (with dipping passenger rearview mirror too). Would be nice as rearward visibility is lacking.

What is the issue you are having with your clutch? I'm considering starting a thread on the Countryman clutch issues we have been having and am curious what your experience has been. I believe there is an endemic problem with the clutch, at least on early production Countryman.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you need something like this . . .

Sealy - Who's still working on placement for the monitor.

Attached Thumbnails I want a freaking back-up camera!-head-camera.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
carleaux
Neutral
Don't forget that $42K doesn't get you power seats, either. My Routan even has power seats (as well as a back-up camera), and it was only $28K.

The MINI isn't exactly a luxury car. You're paying a premium for the name and reputation (it delivers), which should pay back in the form of higher resale and enjoyment. Personally, I eschewed the park assist option, which was the only option I left off other than leather seats and automatic transmission. I ended up around $35K.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
I actually think park assist and the mini connected system is better than a backup camera.

A backup camera suffers from a visual lack of perspective, so you can't really tell how far away objects are, whereas the mini connected system shows the actual distance to objects from an overhead perspective.

The whole point of the system is to avoid backing up over a child or animal. For that purpose the audible alarm works best, because as soon as you hear that alarm, you stop. Everything else is just fluff.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bug Magnet
Hmmmm, turning and looking over one's right shoulder is fairly inexpensive and I haven't backed over the Dodge truck.... yet.
I bet you drive an automatic.
Geez...
-BM-
Wow pretty judgmental there. Based on not knowing you whatsoever except for this single post, I can also pass blind judgement: I bet you're one of those people that puts truck-nutz on your Dodge truck. I mean you are in Texas and all...

Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b&WCM
{snip}...The whole point of the system is to avoid backing up over a child or animal. For that purpose the audible alarm works best, because as soon as you hear that alarm, you stop...{snip}
And, have you noticed that the audible alarm is in stereo from the rear speakers? It sounds from the right speaker if the object sensed is on the right side of the car and vice versa. May be overkill in combination with the video display but cool, none the less.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 AM
user 739030
Banned
After 7 months of owning a roadster, I'm ready for a wide angle camera. When the top is up, you can't see anything on either side behind you. Backing up out of a parking spot is tough. The blind spots from the top are huge. It's a whole different story with the top down.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
I added one to my '12 All4. Just wanted the reassurance with kids around, backing into the garage, ..etc

I added a 7" GPS/back-up screen to mine, don't have the OEM nav.

It is very helpful at times.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 AM
MrBiggs
1st Gear
I agree with the Op its not that its a strong need for the camera its just that these are expensive cars and it wouldnt change the bottom line to throw in a back up camera. I have owned many BMW's and fyi for the op I have a 2012 5 series and it ha no back up camera sticker price 58k. LOL Bmw focuses more on the engine and ride than they do interiors. OHH . since im complaining $2000 extra for leather seats in a $30 K ++ car is also crazy. But I still bought one lol

Quick Reply: R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!