R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 NO options R59?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 AM
zimbo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO options R59?

I am thinking about maybe getting a Roadster as my next mini (will be my 5th since 2002) but I am having trouble deciding whether to go for a standard NO-Optioned JCW or slightly specced up S for almost the same money this car will probably be a keeper so to speak.

So I was just wondering, how many of you guys and girls have no-optioned cars and if so, are you glad you went that way or do you regret not getting certain things now?

Sorry if this has been asked in here before

Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Fifth MINI? Yikes! Perhaps your decision should be influenced by the four in your past. What did you learn from those prior decisions? What options did you have? How much did you enjoy them? Which could you have done without?

I don't consider a JCW to be "no options"...it is a Roadster with different options than a Justa roadster or an S. Were I in your position, I would ask myself how much power you really need in a car and which configuration of "options" you like best.

Last edited by Deli; 08-07-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I decided that an S with the JCW pack (mainly for looks) was the best compromise for me. I drove a JCW Coupe and an S Coupe as there were no Roadsters at the dealer, and while there was a small but definite difference I didn't feel that the extra money for the JCW was worth it for me given the roads where I live (both maintenance-wise and fun potential-wise...).

A MINI without any options at all is actually pretty basic, at least in the US. I don't know if I could do that. Unless it was a stripped-out track weapon, you actually have to live with it day to day and I know there are many things I would miss, like Bluetooth, comfort access, the auto wipers, and the awesome xenon headlamps.

Maybe living in Scotland, hopefully near some good driving roads, your equation would come out differently.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
zimbo
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies so far guys Deli, yeah this will be my fifth mini, my 1st was in 02 and was a Cooper, 06 was a ONE, 08 was a Cooper D, xmas 2010 I got a Clubman Cooper D. I have always wanted an S or a JCW and hope to trade the clubby in for a roadster at Xmas time this year I just need to try decide if it's going to be an S or a FJCW , each and every one I've had so far I've had trouble deciding what colour to go for what spec to go for!!

So far colour wise I've had my mind set on Midnight Black but at the back of my mind reef blue keeps trying to lure me in... The only two options I know I deinately would like to have are Xenons and MFSW and am undecided yet as to if and what others to have yet.

Spiney, I too am wondering if the extra price for the JCW is worth it over an S and i'm pretty sure theres going to be a big price difference between them both when it comes to insurance as well. Scotland has some amazing twisty roads which are made for minis thats why I've driven them for the past 10 years.

Trying to pick a mini and then trying to pick the spec for it is so damn difficult... Arrggghhh

Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
When I bought my Clubman S I went for as few options as I could, and I donl't think I missed anything. The only things I got were the Zenons, automatic transmichigan and center armrest.....everything else that was standard was plenty enough.

But I don't think I'd want it without those.....

What is the reason for a "no option" car, other than cost?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
Spiney, I too am wondering if the extra price for the JCW is worth it over an S and i'm pretty sure theres going to be a big price difference between them both when it comes to insurance as well. Scotland has some amazing twisty roads which are made for minis thats why I've driven them for the past 10 years.
I went to the dealer dead set on getting a JCW (coupe, until my dear wife talked me into a Roadster), but after driving both back-to-back I really couldn't justify the extra cash. If memory serves it was somewhere around $3000 extra versus an S with the JCW pack, and I couldn't justify that.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:38 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by zimbo
Thanks for the replies so far guys Deli, yeah this will be my fifth mini, my 1st was in 02 and was a Cooper, 06 was a ONE, 08 was a Cooper D, xmas 2010 I got a Clubman Cooper D. I have always wanted an S or a JCW and hope to trade the clubby in for a roadster at Xmas time this year I just need to try decide if it's going to be an S or a FJCW , each and every one I've had so far I've had trouble deciding what colour to go for what spec to go for!!

So far colour wise I've had my mind set on Midnight Black but at the back of my mind reef blue keeps trying to lure me in... The only two options I know I deinately would like to have are Xenons and MFSW and am undecided yet as to if and what others to have yet.

Trying to pick a mini and then trying to pick the spec for it is so damn difficult... Arrggghhh
Big fan of reef blue & xeonons ! The way it shines in the sun is magnificent.