R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 r56 alternator swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
erdletheterdle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r56 alternator swap?

Hey guys,
I'm new to the mini world as I am babysitting my buddie's r56 while he is in Afghanistan. My question is what is the best way to swap out the alternator on these cars? Also don't post "use the search button"..... I already have.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 AM
bit_bucket
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erdletheterdle
Hey guys,
I'm new to the mini world as I am babysitting my buddie's r56 while he is in Afghanistan. My question is what is the best way to swap out the alternator on these cars? Also don't post "use the search button"..... I already have.
Couple of things to get your started. The alternator is packed in there and you need to put the radiator support into "service mode". This is a procedure that is readily available in the forums and elsewhere on the web. Just search for R56 Radiator Service Mode.

General Instructions for replacing the alternator:

1) Put the radiator assembly in "service mode". This is kind of involved, but not impossible with some normal tools. This is the procedure you can search out for. What this does is gives you a few more inches of front clearance to get at the alternator bolts.

2) Jack up and put car on jackstand on passenger side (US Car) Take the right side wheel off (passengers). Remove a few of the wheel well cover clips and peel back wheel well cover. This will aid in removing the pulley that drives the alternator.

3) Look for the little push ping attached to the pulley tensioner on the left front side of the engine bay as you are looking at it straight on. This will be near your charge air pipe which was moved out of the way when you did step 1 hopefully.

4) Attach 30mm 12 point wrench to the bolt on the fulcrum of pulley tensioner and pull it towards you at the same time pushing in that little lock pin. Once the lock pin pushes in, hold it there and release the tension on the wrench. You are now able to remove the top part of the belt. If you need to remove the bottom of the belt where it makes a friction connection with the water pump pulley, there is a little tab you can pull on and pull down, you will see it behind the wheel well covering.

5) From there remove the connections to the alternator and then the bolts (E10 Torx) holding it on. Note that the top 2 bolts are first put through the belt tensioner and are what hold it on.

6) From there work in reverse to reassemble it.

This is by no means a quick job. It takes me a bit of time to put the radiator support into "service mode" and you may encounter cracked clips, so have extras around. Once you have it in service mode though you can readily see how to remove and replace it. Also be gentle with the belt tensioner (trust me on this).

BTW, once you start driving one of these and get familiar with the engine bay your going to want one! Just don't mess up your buddies car!