R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Just noticed hood scoop is warped

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
t-bear
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just noticed hood scoop is warped

I was doing work to the car this morning and noticed the hood scoop is warped.
I guess i could live with it, or h replace it.

My question is, I am definitely out of warranty, but has anyone been cover by a dealer this late? I only have 34,000 miles on the car.
If i were to buy my own where is the cheapest place to get one?

Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Black S type
3rd Gear
I noticed mine is warped and chrome plating is pealing.. I am still under warranty though..Wonder if they would cover it..

Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
They will definitely cover it under warranty, this has been discussed a lot. Mine was replaced without hassle, they also installed a heatshield right under the new scoop. Probably best prices (if you don't mind used) is on one of the Mini forum's marketplace. GL

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Call, or better yet, go visit the dealer. Talk with the service manager and see if they will cover it even if the car is out of warranty. The worst thay can do is say no.

If they say no, by the time you buy the primed part, and have it painted to match the car, and buy the $30 heat shield, you are well on the way to paying for the JCW carbon scoop. (which you can find online for about $315...)

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After fixing, I would recommend the NM Eng. Titanium Turbo Heat Shield. Maybe it's just me, but the buck fifty is cheaper than time wasted getting my scoop replaced time after time.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Katachi
1st Gear
will intake affect warranty

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to ask if you think the fact that I have and aftermarket intake will void their warranty on the warped hood scoop? Will they argue that there is a relation between the over heating of the turbo with the intake installed? Just had to ask. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
gepperso
3rd Gear
Warped hood scoop

Originally Posted by richardsperry
Call, or better yet, go visit the dealer. Talk with the service manager and see if they will cover it even if the car is out of warranty. The worst thay can do is say no.

If they say no, by the time you buy the primed part, and have it painted to match the car, and buy the $30 heat shield, you are well on the way to paying for the JCW carbon scoop. (which you can find online for about $315...)
Richard is correct, I had mine replaced I think 3 times under warranty
This is a known issue with the later generation MINI's. I took the time an read from members from the SW USA , and a lot of them finally got a Carbon Fiber hood scoop to stop this problem.
Check my gallery I have some pictures in there of mine.
As for the Turbo wraps/covers there are discussions about those also. IMO I think the turbo is hot and needs to be cooled, not wrapped in anything.
You can make your own decision, I just changed the scoop for the Carbon Fiber one, also while the dealer had my warped one off I asked them to replace it with the Carbon Fiber one that I had purchased from the internet.
They went ahead and gave me the replacement one they had ordered, so I do have a spare factory hood scoop.
I have had mine on for about 1.5 years now and NO MORE WARPING ISSUES what so ever,
problem solved!!