R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini S timing Chain Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check that. The VIN is listed on the page, so, I'm calling MINI today.

Here's a link if anyone wants to see it. I love the color combo.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/transfers...n&loc_num=7241

Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Ok, so I called MINI with the VIN.

He was able to tell me some info but not everything I was looking for.

He wasn't able (at the time) to find out which dealership had been servicing this one.

It is not under any kind of extended maintenance or service so, no warranty at all.

He said there were no outstanding recalls, campaigns or TSBs on it.

Heat shield was added last year.

Aux water pump was replaced at 26k miles.

According to him this car's VIN range doesn't fall in the HPFP or Timing chain tensioner campaigns.

Does that sound right?

That would mean this one was outfitted with the updated tensioner correct?

They want $200 for a pre-purchase inspection. Seems a little steep. I though most places, even for euro cars were around a bill for that. Hmm.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
Ok, so I called MINI with the VIN.

He was able to tell me some info but not everything I was looking for.

He wasn't able (at the time) to find out which dealership had been servicing this one.

It is not under any kind of extended maintenance or service so, no warranty at all.

He said there were no outstanding recalls, campaigns or TSBs on it.

Heat shield was added last year.

Aux water pump was replaced at 26k miles.

According to him this car's VIN range doesn't fall in the HPFP or Timing chain tensioner campaigns.

Does that sound right?

That would mean this one was outfitted with the updated tensioner correct?

They want $200 for a pre-purchase inspection. Seems a little steep. I though most places, even for euro cars were around a bill for that. Hmm.
The timing chain is usually on a case-by-case basis. It wasn't a widespread recall like the aux water pump. As for the HPFP extended warranty, I have no idea why the 09 you're looking at isn't included. I'd maybe try calling another dealer and see what they say. The letter says select 07, 08, and 09 cars get the warranty, but I haven't seen anything that dictates which cars get it and which, if any, don't.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:33 PM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Thanks. Once I get the carfax and see where it was registered I'll call the local MINI dealership.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Got the MINI! Love the way it drives.

Been thumbing through the manuals for basic information.

I did get the MaxCare through Carmax to start but may search for other extended warranties.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 AM
ddminikc
2nd Gear
Got the MINI! Love the way it drives.

Been thumbing through the manuals for basic information.

I did get the MaxCare through Carmax to start but may search for other extended warranties.

The Clubman is a great driving car and the extra hauling space is extremely useful. Good call on getting the extended warranty. I did not get the extended warranty with my 09 Clubman because my 05 R53 had been so reliable. I am now on my 4th timing chain at only 51,000 miles. The last chain we had to fight with MINI over because they wanted $1500 to replace it. It has had numerous other engine issues as well. Because of this car my service adviser is on a first name basis and I have his number on speed dial. I love the car but I am counting the days until I can afford to replace it with a new Paceman.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Wow. Hope mine doesn't have those issues.

I just did my first seafoam treatment last night.

I swear, I cannot figure out how to read the oil level. That dipstick is the worst design ever.

It has oil on it when I wipe if off but I'll be damned if I can see where the level is and I'm making sure I don't turn the stick when pulling out and am checking the side opposite of the bend in the dipstick tube.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 AM
JonT
2nd Gear
MINI vs Mini? It's Mini, folks, no matter what the marketing weenies at BMW want you to think. A corporate entity does not get to rewrite the rules of grammar and usage. According to most commonly accepted rules, anything that's in all capital letters is, by definition, an acronym, like FIAT, which is what those cars where called when that company was in its early years
(Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).
If you must differentiate, think of them as BMC Minis and BMW Minis. Hey, I'm not making this up. You can do the research, or you can surrender independent thought and let BMW succeed in telling you how the English language works.

Last edited by JonT; 05-30-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI. It is the brand name. You don't get to just change a brand name because you think it violates some rule that you think exists.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
The timing chain tensioners on my '13 MCS, were replaced today at 26,000 miles.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Well, I finally got the Carfax report on my car from Carmax. Car was originally sold by Classic Mini in Mentor, OH.

I called and talked to a service guy who took my name, number and last 7 of the VIN and said he'd see what he could find and call me back.

Just talked to him and he had some good information for me: (not knowing of course, where else it may have been serviced.

Last oil change done by them: 12/12 at 34k miles. Carmax did it at 45k and for good measure I just did it at 49k this past weekend.

It had a brake fluid service around 2/13.

The kicker was this: March of 2013 at 36790 miles, they replaced the timing chain. Apparently, the customer had to have the car jumped off for whatever reason and brought it in. During that visit, they replaced the chain.

So, that's a little sigh of relief to me that it was handled. Of course, I know some of you have gone through more than 1 timing chain replacement and I hope I don't have that issue because to me, the car kind of sounds like what some call the Death Rattle but to me it just sounds like most other 4 cyl cars where I've stuck my nose under the hood.

And since I know that many SAs and dealerships don't seem to know the proper oil level, I decided to ask him. He said it was approx 4.5 quarts. Closest answer I've seen yet.

He was also adamant about using 5w-30 full synthetic.

I just used Castrol Edge 0w-40 European Formula. Right on the back it says its considered as a BMW long life compliant.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Sorry to revive an old thread, but didn't see the need to start a whole new thread.

Car is now at 80k and I'm starting to get the death rattle at start up. I've been pretty religious about changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals but now it's starting.

I've got a new oil leak that I'm trying to chase down which may have caused me to get lower than I should've been at some point.

Rattle starts at cold start and goes away shortly there after.

Oil leak is dripping (not sure where it's originating from) from the bellhousing near where the trans connects to the engine. Could be a rear main seal or are other common leaks known to end up in this area? I replaced the turbo supply line with a braided stainless line from Detroit Tuned a while back. I have the return pipe but didn't replace it at that time. (stupid, I know)

I spoke with MINI again today because of the Skeen V BMW suit and although mine is below 100k, it's over 7 years. ****.

They quoted me $2000 for a timing chain swap. I inquired about just getting the tensioner bolt from them. $164. $325 labor to install. Screw that. I'd install it myself but I thought the bolt was more like $60-$80, not $164!

Anyone know of an aftermarket source that is known to carry the latest gen bolt and roughly what they're going for?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Find if you can a competent independent. The timing chain job is not necessarily a simple one, depending upon your skill level and toolbox size. From what I saw in my cars, was the plastics on the tensioners went to heck, so if you go to the problem of pulling the cover, you want to replace everything that is a wear part so you can hopefully get another 80K miles. Don't wait until the chain issues get worse because it can be mechanically fatal! Also, I'm betting your oil leak is the vacuum pump. If it is, you could also be experiencing some mild drivability problems, idle change with break pedal action, maybe weird codes. Hope I'm wrong. Cam Covers are also prone to leakage over time.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but didn't see the need to start a whole new thread.

Car is now at 80k and I'm starting to get the death rattle at start up. I've been pretty religious about changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals but now it's starting.

I've got a new oil leak that I'm trying to chase down which may have caused me to get lower than I should've been at some point.

Rattle starts at cold start and goes away shortly there after.

Oil leak is dripping (not sure where it's originating from) from the bellhousing near where the trans connects to the engine. Could be a rear main seal or are other common leaks known to end up in this area? I replaced the turbo supply line with a braided stainless line from Detroit Tuned a while back. I have the return pipe but didn't replace it at that time. (stupid, I know)

I spoke with MINI again today because of the Skeen V BMW suit and although mine is below 100k, it's over 7 years. ****.

They quoted me $2000 for a timing chain swap. I inquired about just getting the tensioner bolt from them. $164. $325 labor to install. Screw that. I'd install it myself but I thought the bolt was more like $60-$80, not $164!

Anyone know of an aftermarket source that is known to carry the latest gen bolt and roughly what they're going for?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Hmmm. Not had any driveability issues or changes that I've seen.

Was hoping to get a replacement bolt and fix the leak to see if that handles the problem for now. Pretty mechanically inclined but not ready to tackle the timing chain just yet.

I'll have to research the vacuum pump and it's replacement. I've not seen that mentioned before. I know my aux waterpump was already replaced at 26k.