R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Did I just blow the engine in my r53?!? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
As others have stated - totally normal.

Best way to clean out intercooler is to remove it, stretch a heavy duty rubber glove over one of the ends (duct-taped to keep it on), throw a pint of acetone in the other end, tape another glove to that end and invert repeatedly - then drain.

Whatever small amount of residual acetone left inside after draining will evaporate by the time you're ready to re-install it.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:02 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
As others have stated - totally normal.

Best way to clean out intercooler is to remove it, stretch a heavy duty rubber glove over one of the ends (duct-taped to keep it on), throw a pint of acetone in the other end, tape another glove to that end and invert repeatedly - then drain.

Whatever small amount of residual acetone left inside after draining will evaporate by the time you're ready to re-install it.
Ok I will do that! Thanks

Old 06-24-2016, 08:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Sorry , did we miss a clip or was it missing ? Should match that pic ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sorry , did we miss a clip or was it missing ? Should match that pic ?
Jason in customer service took care of it for me. But it was very odd. They sent a tag that said coolant hose - multiple and the only thing in the box was one clip attached to the tag.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
An update for all those interested. BARNABY IS RUNNING AGAIN!! NAM user memo79 came over this morning and we swapped out all the hoses that I had ordered from ECS, filled and bled the new coolant and took it out for a test drive. We also hooked up a mobile computer to the ECU and found no issues with the running temps. I can't believe I once again lucked out with this MINI. I will be driving the car short distances and monitoring the coolant level. But so far so good! Thanks memo79!!!

Old 07-01-2016, 04:24 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
An update for all those interested. BARNABY IS RUNNING AGAIN!! NAM user memo79 came over this morning and we swapped out all the hoses that I had ordered from ECS, filled and bled the new coolant and took it out for a test drive. We also hooked up a mobile computer to the ECU and found no issues with the running temps. I can't believe I once again lucked out with this MINI. I will be driving the car short distances and monitoring the coolant level. But so far so good! Thanks memo79!!!
What, what a great story. Good job! Kudos to memo for lending a hand. Great community we have here.

Great news for the long weekend. Motor on!

Old 07-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Yay! glad to hear it! these cars definitely can cause headaches, but I can't find anything else I'd rather drive so I think it's worth it! How's your tranny?

Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 PM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hell yeah, congrats!

Old 07-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
What, what a great story. Good job! Kudos to memo for lending a hand. Great community we have here.

Great news for the long weekend. Motor on!
I am so pumped. It felt great driving him around again. I am still a little scared to get stranded again!

Originally Posted by Racingguy04
Yay! glad to hear it! these cars definitely can cause headaches, but I can't find anything else I'd rather drive so I think it's worth it! How's your tranny?
Yea unfortunately this car has caused a lot of issues to make me worry so I am still not 100% sure what I want to do with it. But I really love the ride! I am debating just going through the whole thing and dropping like 4k into it to make it new again so I dont have any worries and its dependable.

Originally Posted by mdaz75
Hell yeah, congrats!
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
UPDATE: I have been driving Barnaby all weekend short distances and checking the coolant levels each time after. The car has been running pretty well with the normal driving, with AC on high, and with heat on. I did however notice a small hairline crack in the expansion tank with a few drops of coolant on the engine heat shield each time I drive the car. My instinct is to go out and get a stainless tank and call it a day but I am not quite sure if this is a sign of a blown headgasket or too much pressure in the coolant system? Can anyone chime in as to what I should be looking for before just replacing the expansion tank, or if I am just being paranoid?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say too much pressure. I get a leak from the cap once in a while. I just clean it and keep it moving. I already replaced the cap so i know that not it. I just think the old fashion pressure caps are better then this particular screw on type. For the r56 the cap it alittle different and there is no leak. But if your expansion tank is cracked i would replace it.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HaveATank
I would say too much pressure. I get a leak from the cap once in a while. I just clean it and keep it moving. I already replaced the cap so i know that not it. I just think the old fashion pressure caps are better then this particular screw on type. For the r56 the cap it alittle different and there is no leak. But if your expansion tank is cracked i would replace it.
So if you think its too much pressure, I wonder what is actually causing the excessive pressure.

Do you recommend the stainless steel instead of the plastic? And what cap do you prefer over the plastic one?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
It not too much pressure just that the cap sucks, but you said your tank leaking which is different then my situation. This is what happens to me no matter how hard i tight the cap. I just clean it and keep it moving.

Name:  Screenshot_2016-07-05-11-22-07.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  345.8 KB

Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes sure you don't have too much coolant in the expansion tank. When warm, the tank should be filled to just the top of the fins at the bottom of the tank when looking inside. I think over filling can cause too much pressure, since coolant is denser than air. If it's cracked, you need to replace it.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
It not too much pressure just that the cap sucks, but you said your tank leaking which is different then my situation. This is what happens to me no matter how hard i tight the cap. I just clean it and keep it moving.
Yea well the caps are really crappy too. I cant believe even with a good tank like yours the cap still leaks. Is it at the proper level?

Originally Posted by jgk6502
Makes sure you don't have too much coolant in the expansion tank. When warm, the tank should be filled to just the top of the fins at the bottom of the tank when looking inside. I think over filling can cause too much pressure, since coolant is denser than air. If it's cracked, you need to replace it.
OK will do. There is a fill line and it looked to be a little above the fill line when cold and hot that may be it. It hasn't leaked in 1-2 days of 100+ degree weather with the AC on so we will see

Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jgk6502
Yah my coolant it actually very low in the expansion tank. I did this purposely to try ans minimize the leak, but I'm convinced it the cap. The cap on an r56 is so much better then this. Canton makes a nice expansion tank which uses a standard rad cap. If it becomes too much of a problem in the future i will be cutting the nect off and getting a regular pressure cap on. But right now it only alittle bit that comes out. My experience has been that once you put it on don't remove it or there is no way to get a proper seal.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Yah my coolant it actually very low in the expansion tank. I did this purposely to try ans minimize the leak, but I'm convinced it the cap. The cap on an r56 is so much better then this. Canton makes a nice expansion tank which uses a standard rad cap. If it becomes too much of a problem in the future i will be cutting the nect off and getting a regular pressure cap on. But right now it only alittle bit that comes out. My experience has been that once you put it on don't remove it or there is no way to get a proper seal.
Hm that is really interesting. Ill keep that in mind, thanks for the help!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Check this....
http://www.greeneperformance.com/col...e-coolant-tank
Name:  image-0.02.01.a540158c6dab8ec64ab4dae33ad9ffbf633d67eac7bb6284b6fce19f5e694714-V_zpshr2.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  163.1 KB

I've a Canton, a buddy has the Greene. Both function equally better than OE, but the latter looks way cooler.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Check this....
http://www.greeneperformance.com/col...e-coolant-tank

I've a Canton, a buddy has the Greene. Both function equally better than OE, but the latter looks way cooler.
Wow! Yea that really does look cool! Ill look into it thanks!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You've a choice between powdercoated & bare aluminum on Greene....& this holds pressure as does the Canton.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
You've a choice between powdercoated & bare aluminum on Greene....& this holds pressure as does the Canton.
Thanks again! I really like the black one.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Nics
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to get a new coolant cap when you replace the tank. My old cap wasn't creating an adequate seal on my new tank and kept spewing out coolant. I got a replacement cap for $5 on amazon.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Stoker
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Ok more of an update for all those interested. I am also looking for some suggestions and ideas as to what this hose coupler is. I moved my MINI to a flat surface removed the air box so I could see better what was going on and filled the expansion tank with coolant. About 5 seconds later I heard fluid pouring out and found the MINI dealer had pulled the hose coming from the expansion tank to the coupler between the thermostat and heater core hoses. The plastic coupler I showed in the pics seemed to be more of an Y shape when all pics online show it to be a T shape. The plastic coupler was also brittle and cracked so all the fluid was leaking from there. I am thinking of just ordering the whole hose assembly with plastic couplers from ECS but I am not sure if this one thats broken is included or not..

Right below the white wire you can see a wet spot with the plastic Y shaped coupler that is broken and needs replacing...

This is the hose coming from the expansion tank that the MINI dealer left un hooked and the hose clamp was also missing ...

And this is the only schematic I found online for my car it looks like letter C is what is needed but mine doesn't look the same..

If anyone can help especially ECS with what I need I would greatly appreciate it. I am also disappointed that the dealer left the hose and clamp missing as well as it looks like they snapped the plastic inlet where the expansion tank hose goes into the coupler.
I know that there are more posts in this thread.... But!!!
Exactly the same thing happened to me, The OEM Part says a T fitting, someone (Before i bought it) Used a Y.... It broke... found the T fitting at Auto Zone....

Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I literally JUST replaced this piece as well! It broke off swapping the thermostat and housing. Glad it did I guess instead of falling apart while driving and overheating the vehicle. It literally fell apart into multiple pieces that needed to be removed from the expansion tank hose. Crazy…

T-Connector
Name:  DSC_0689_zpsmsrmubx5.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  62.2 KB

Old T-Connector removed
Name:  DSC_0690_zpsbxuvveh9.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  93.2 KB

New T-Connector installed and ready to go
Name:  DSC_0691_zpspgn4xmqx.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  133.5 KB

Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I found out that the auto has the "Y" connector like I have and the hoses are all one assembly. And the manual has the "T". Its crazy that all these have gone bad recently!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Did I just blow the engine in my r53?!? HELP!!