R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Seth's '03 R53 - Maintenance/Mod Log

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin
Went to a Tar Heel MINI meet today at Flow MINI after a wash. Got a little bauble for the antenna:

Didn't manage to get any good pics at the meet and there were no other R53's, but we had a good lunch and I talked to a gentleman who has had 10 MINIs in his time. He now has a 2013 JCW.

I love my car.

Here's some more pics from my driveway today. I like wheel pics
I have some of those from MINIUSA swag bags, you have to bore them out if you want them to fit on the factory stubby antenna. Had one on my R52 , with the log stock antenna and the thing kept bouncing around. , but the antenna is on the front of the upper windshield.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does look good up there on the antenna!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:08 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Does look good up there on the antenna!
It's a nice little accessory.

I've also ordered a Euro-spec front license plate to cover up those ugly holes in the metal.

I will wait for it to arrive to show you what it says; I think it's fitting of the car.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 PM
sevin
6th Gear
She has been christened.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent Euro plate!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:50 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Excellent Euro plate!
The plate is really well made, as is the holder. I was impressed.

The car just makes me think of pineapple juice when I look at it, I thought this would be fitting

Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks great, perfect name.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Finally got the time to install the auxiliary gauges I received for Christmas last night. It took me and a friend about 6 hours total to install them, but it was well worth it! I'm really pleased with the results.

The official MINI install instructions I found in the MotoringFiles were a great help, though the step that outlined where the ground adapter was to be installed was not correct. I believe the instructions were made for the R50. We ended up routing the ground strap up to the driver side wiper arm base, so it is accessible without having to remove the intake, though we did that initially.

About two hours into the install, it started dumping rain. I forgot I had my windows down and with the battery and toggle bank disconnected, we just had to throw a tarp over her and mop up the rest with some towels.

Project car status!

After the rain, we finished routing the cable to the new drain plug, which is a thermistor for sensing the oil temperature. A little while later we dropped the car off the jacks and set to work splicing a few wires on the inside of the car and getting the mounting frame in place. We tapped into the power feed for the radio and the power feed for the cigarette lighter as per the instructions. Then we hooked the gauges up while we figured out what angle we should set the mounting frame at to test our wiring thus far. Everything worked! Then we just drilled the screwholes for the mounting frame, plugged everything up, and put everything back together. It was a long process, but very rewarding. Neither of us had done anything like this before, so we were both very happy when everything worked the first time through. We finished around midnight, so a good burger and shake from Cook-Out was in order.

Before and after of the interior:

And some new beauty shots:

Before and after install:

Last edited by sevin; 05-08-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Looks good! I like them there.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:29 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xsmini
Looks good! I like them there.
As do I, they fill up the space nicely!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Very cool there - I would like to do the same. What did you use for a plate? Where do you run the voltage gauge wires to? I already have an oil temp gauge - so I need something else.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Very cool there - I would like to do the same. What did you use for a plate? Where do you run the voltage gauge wires to? I already have an oil temp gauge - so I need something else.
What do you mean by plate? The mounting frame? The voltage gauge power feed comes from the cigarette lighter power feed. Both gauges share a ground just outside the firewall on a little stud on the wiper arm base.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Plate - yes, mounting frame. I thought the voltage gauge would feed directly off the battery somehow (to tell you how much power there is).

Old 05-09-2016, 01:47 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Finally got the time to install the auxiliary gauges I received for Christmas last night. It took me and a friend about 6 hours total to install them, but it was well worth it! I'm really pleased with the results.

The official MINI install instructions I found in the MotoringFiles were a great help, though the step that outlined where the ground adapter was to be installed was not correct. I believe the instructions were made for the R50. We ended up routing the ground strap up to the driver side wiper arm base, so it is accessible without having to remove the intake, though we did that initially.

About two hours into the install, it started dumping rain. I forgot I had my windows down and with the battery and toggle bank disconnected, we just had to throw a tarp over her and mop up the rest with some towels.

Project car status!

After the rain, we finished routing the cable to the new drain plug, which is a thermistor for sensing the oil temperature. A little while later we dropped the car off the jacks and set to work splicing a few wires on the inside of the car and getting the mounting frame in place. We tapped into the power feed for the radio and the power feed for the cigarette lighter as per the instructions. Then we hooked the gauges up while we figured out what angle we should set the mounting frame at to test our wiring thus far. Everything worked! Then we just drilled the screwholes for the mounting frame, plugged everything up, and put everything back together. It was a long process, but very rewarding. Neither of us had done anything like this before, so we were both very happy when everything worked the first time through. We finished around midnight, so a good burger and shake from Cook-Out was in order.

Before and after of the interior:

And some new beauty shots:

Before and after install:

Looks awesome.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:22 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Plate - yes, mounting frame. I thought the voltage gauge would feed directly off the battery somehow (to tell you how much power there is).
The mounting frame came with the kit. It's an OEM accessory, so it contours to the shape of the center console. All that's left is to decide the angle you want and drill the holes.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Looks awesome.
Thanks!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Ahhhhhhh .. and this kit is NLA. :( Dammit!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Ahhhhhhh .. and this kit is NLA. :( Dammit!
Yes, I got the last set in December

Old 05-09-2016, 05:28 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The gauges and face plate were an accessory which is NLA from MINI. An alternative is fabricating a faceplate and installing the Marshall gauges designed specifically for a MINI.

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/c...per_gauges.cfm

Pics of set from ECS.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:48 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
I already have the oil temp - would need something else to go there.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Yeah, the Marshall units are the best match for MINI in my opinion. I'll be getting a couple boost/vac and coolant temp. gauges from them in chrome to put next to the tach at some point.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Had the power steering recall performed today. They replaced the pump, fan, and return line. No issues at the dealer. I talked to the rep and he said the pump and fan were automatically replaced, but lines/hardware only got replaced if it was necessary to do so. They were free, but I guess they're a conditional part of the recall. Something to bear in mind. One thing I already miss, however, is the whine the pump makes when turning near the lock. I have always associated that noise with MINIs, honestly kind of sad to see it go.

New pump is just about silent.

The tech also noted a few issues as per the inspection. He noted multiple oil leaks, torn LCA bushings, and torn passenger side engine mounts. I have not confirmed any of these things yet. I don't doubt my oil is leaking as my oil level was a quart low a couple of weeks ago when I installed my gauges from my last oil change in November. I'm not concerned about the engine mounts.

Also, to add to my previous update about the gauges, I remembered we noticed that the halfshaft boots were torn and slinging grease. I do not hear any clicking when I turn sharply, however, so I've only ordered boot replacements and not entirely new halfshaft assemblies. I might order some LCA bushings and do both at the same time. Would you guys recommend I stick with OEM or upgrade to some poly bushings, maybe from Powerflex? How much noise do they add?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Didn't really notice additional noises with the Powerflex, then again, I have both poly engine mounts and transmission inserts. I highly suggest poly for a simple reason: the oem ones will fail again. I've changed mine with Powerflex 6 years ago and they're still doing their job.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:47 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
Didn't really notice additional noises with the Powerflex, then again, I have both poly engine mounts and transmission inserts. I highly suggest poly for a simple reason: the oem ones will fail again. I've changed mine with Powerflex 6 years ago and they're still doing their job.
So you're using stock motor mounts with poly mounting bushings? And you've got Powerflex LCA, transmission, and motor mount bushings? Right now, I don't think my car rattles at all. At idle, you can barely tell it's on. I'd like to stick close to that, if possible.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
So you're using stock motor mounts with poly mounting bushings? And you've got Powerflex LCA, transmission, and motor mount bushings? Right now, I don't think my car rattles at all. At idle, you can barely tell it's on. I'd like to stick close to that, if possible.
I have the TSW upper engine mount, BSH lower engine mount, Powerflex transmission inserts and the Powerflex LCA bushings. I don't like loose things. But the LCA bushings alone won't make it rattle.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
I have the TSW upper engine mount, BSH lower engine mount, Powerflex transmission inserts and the Powerflex LCA bushings. I don't like loose things. But the LCA bushings alone won't make it rattle.
Okay, I have no worries then.

Would you recommend the motor mounts you have over the OEM, not considering their longevity?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Seth's '03 R53 - Maintenance/Mod Log