R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is this MINI way too expensive for what it is?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In my area the average price of a MC or MCS 2006 and earlier with over 100,000 miles is between $6K and $10K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ear=2005&Log=0

I did a search on Nada (used by insurance companies)for mine at 110,000 miles and it places a value at $8,900, clean trade in at $6,700

2007 Cooper S is valued $100 lower

I would offer about $6,500 and is the seller says no, then keep looking.

KBB is hog wash, they value a 92 Porsche 964 at $16K, that is about $30K under the real market values and Haggerty

Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
This doesn't make any sense...it's worth what all the guides say it is worth... Not 1 penny more. Why? What do you think would happen if the car were totaled on the way home from pickup? Are you going to get a check for "the fair price you paid??"" Nope....you are going to get a check for whatever guides / market evaluation the insurance company chooses to use. I always say that to people - no matter how hard it is to find / well kept the car is...if there is no supporting documentation justifying your price...don't pay it unless you are ready to lose the gap.
So true. I used this type of argument when buying my 2005 R52S in January, 2015. The original owner couldn't decide on a price, so we used the vehicle guides 'trade in' value to set the price at $9,000.00. The car has 3,700 original miles. The owner will be out of town until April, which is when I will pick up the car and head straight to MINIs on the Dragon.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
This doesn't make any sense...it's worth what all the guides say it is worth... Not 1 penny more.
Insurance companies don't use NADA or KBB they use CC valuation.

I sold my nearly stock 1985 4WD Toyota truck for thousands more than NADA and the same for my 1989 325is. They were both easy sales and only a few ******* wanted to pull the book value crap.

If a ****** comes talking about what KBB or NADA tells them it was pretty damn easy to tell them to pound sand. I'm not asking less because you think I should according to some silly book.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
Insurance companies don't use NADA or KBB they use CC valuation. I sold my nearly stock 1985 4WD Toyota truck for thousands more than NADA and the same for my 1989 325is. They were both easy sales and only a few ******* wanted to pull the book value crap. If a ****** comes talking about what KBB or NADA tells them it was pretty damn easy to tell them to pound sand. I'm not asking less because you think I should according to some silly book.
I'm fine with whatever book you go by CC or whatever..I personally start at Mannheim and work my way from there. The point is - there is a book and industry agreed upon valuation...fair price isnt just a random number

Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
I'm fine with whatever book you go by CC or whatever..I personally start at Mannheim and work my way from there. The point is - there is a book and industry agreed upon valuation...fair price isnt just a random number
Ok here's you challenge find my a 1985 Toyota SR5 truck 4WD with a manual trans for NADA value that's in above average condition. The same could also be said for any used Toyota truck.

These guides are no better than a Beckett ot Wizard guide when it comes to speciality cars. There's not a single first gen MINI in my zip coide selling for "book value" everyone seems to want a 20-25% more. I have no idea if they're getting it, but they don't seem to stay listed long.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok here's you challenge find my a 1985 Toyota SR5 truck 4WD with a manual trans for NADA value that's in above average condition. The same could also be said for any used Toyota truck. These guides are no better than a Beckett ot Wizard guide when it comes to speciality cars. There's not a single first gen MINI in my zip coide selling for "book value" everyone seems to want a 20-25% more. I have no idea if they're getting it, but they don't seem to stay listed long.
Can't do it all the 1985 trucks are rusted through..... If your market is that hot for minis then the guides should be reflective of that rarity....specifically why I mentioned Mannheim.. Rules and laws of economics always hold true supply and demand butter and guns...(yay high school). Also if they were THAT Hot and the market is inefficient you just uncovered a massive arbitrage opportunity...and let's become partners I'll get minis here on the east coast put them 10 at a time on a truck and send them your way... We split the profits...you see markets are always efficient...any in-efficiencies are wiped out quickly..

Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM
MiniSMan
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with your statement ..."There's not a single first gen MiNi in my zip code selling for "book value"everyone seems to want a 20-25% more "...I should know because i was searching for a 2006 R53 and even the ones with fairly high mileage..54,000 to 75,000 ... Dealerships were asking like 12,800....The ones that are priced "fair Market Value " are selling faster thats what happened when i looked at the first 2 R53 i was considering ...Then i jumped quickly on the 3rd one which was listed in PA for 10,995 with only 31,000 miles and of course i bought it ..i paid full price ,but still think i got a great deal considering the low mileage and loaded with many options ..which i did a little reasearch and the car i bought could have easily been listed for 12,050 according to NADA and KBB...I guess you just have to do your Homework and Jump on a great deal when you see it ....

Ok here's you challenge find my a 1985 Toyota SR5 truck 4WD with a manual trans for NADA value that's in above average condition. The same could also be said for any used Toyota truck.

These guides are no better than a Beckett ot Wizard guide when it comes to speciality cars. There's not a single first gen MINI in my zip coide selling for "book value" everyone seems to want a 20-25% more. I have no idea if they're getting it, but they don't seem to stay listed long.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 AM
wsR53
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by the book

I've seen Red books, blue books, Kbb books, black books, Galv's books and more. The only true measure of the value is the CHECK BOOK!! Sure there are over priced cars. Most of them are STILL FOR SALE. If a buyer's been looking he knows a quality car when he sees it and usually is willing to pay more to get more.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:37 PM
RocketUSA
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $6500 for the same car, minus navigation and black wheels, last May. If the seller states they're selling at that price because the dealers are listing them at that price, walk away. Such people are delusional about the private party market.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:46 PM
LvL8Hacker
Neutral
I've been telling people for years that KBB may make sense if you're looking at typical big three cars that may have been rental fleet specials.

It really don't mean crap when it comes to speciality cars. When's the last time you seen a mint BMW e30 for $1200 which is what KBB seems to think they're worth.

I would pass jsut because of the NAV option
Why would you pass due to the NAV option?...Just wondering

Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LvL8Hacker
Why would you pass due to the NAV option?...Just wondering
NAV systems don't age like wine and this MINI's NAV system is now the better part of a decade old. Most phones would blow this out of the water

Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
LvL8Hacker
Neutral
NAV systems don't age like wine and this MINI's NAV system is now the better part of a decade old. Most phones would blow this out of the water
Understood.... I have an 06 MCS with the navigation. It does the job and did you know is totally update able. $10 disc and your good to go. Nothing wrong with having more options

Old 03-01-2015, 03:51 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree it's just a waste of space, the scout app is my favorite for navigation.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM
pikwit
1st Gear
Price for these things can be tricky, just make sure you look for receipts for the known weak points of a car at that mileage and budget for them if they haven't been done. Things like control arm bushings, shocks, brakes, supercharger, and harmonic balancer are all on their way out at this point and they add up quickly. Ask me how I know...although my one owner r53 only cost me 5k.