R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Advice from Mechanical Gurus needed for R53 resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Butternut82
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice from Mechanical Gurus needed for R53 resurrection

Hi motorheads!

My dad bought a 2003 mini cooper S brand new. He drove it for a few years. After some spirited driving, my stepmom's neck got messed up and she hated riding in it. I think it also had bald run flats, that my dad didn't want to replace. So my dad parked the cooper in the garage and it has sat there for years, looking lonely.

I have been wanting a smaller sports car for commuting. (60 miles a day, 5 highway and the rest 2 lane highways). I currently do most of my commuting on my motorcycle (02 Honda ST1100A) and drive my 08 Honda Ridgeline when weather is really nasty. I cannot afford a really nice sports car, but I think I can fix up my dad's MCS for pretty cheap(doing all the work myself).

I have a good bit of mechanical maintenance background, and am a competent DIY garage wrencher. I previously brought one of my dad's motorcycles back to life, and do all my own motorcycle maintenance. I have done brake jobs, replaced suspension components, replaced gaskets and filters, and plenty of fluid changes. So I am confidant that I can do anything with a manual in front of me.

I need to have a realistic cost estimate for this, to be able to talk my wife into it. And I would rather do everything correctly the first time, while I have the MCS torn apart. If I am going to take the front bumper off and there is other recommended stuff to do, I would rather do it while I am in there.

Now on to the MINI. It is a 2003 MCS with the sport package and Nav. Manual Trans. The VIN is WMWRE33453TD63373 . My best guess is that it has been sitting for 6-7 years. I think it has less than 50K miles. I am trying to get a spreadsheet together of the work that will be required, and a rough estimate of parts costs.

Here is the list of things that I know it will need. Please let me know if there is anything else that I should include or check.

Service Manual (I hear Bentley is the best)
serpentine belt tool
New battery
new tires (NON run flat)
donut spare
check & lube brakes
flush brake fluid
New air filter & cabin filter
Oil and filter change
Coolant change and new thermostat
New coolant reserve tank
Transmission fluid change
new spark plugs
new fuel filter and drain/flush gas tank
flush power steering fluid
new serpentine belt
new windshield wipers
check all lights
lots of beer

The overall plan is to clean the fuel system and get a new battery to get it running. Then change all fluids and filters after it has gotten warmed up.

I was planning on pulling the old plugs and putting a few drops of oil in the cylinders from the top before I try and start it, along with new plugs.

I was also planning on cleaning the fuel pump when I replace the fuel filter. I assume I could disconnect the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator to flush the fuel lines. ( I am hoping the injectors and pressure regulator will be good).

Questions

1. Any other specialty tools I need to get besides the belt tool? (I know I need a good set of Torx bits)

2. Do I need to do anything with the supercharger oil before starting it up for the first time in years? (should I try and turn the engine over with a wrench before cranking it up?)

3. Are there any gaskets that I should replace? Crank sensor or crank seal gaskets? (I have read these are prone to failure due to age)

4. Should I crank it with the old oil in it, then immediately change the oil? Or change it cold, then change it again? I plan on changing the oil around 500 miles after getting it running.

5. Should I put in a tensioner stop when I change the belt? Should I put on a smaller pulley while replacing the belt?

6. What else am I forgetting? I am sure that there are some other MINI specific things I should look at or check, but I don't know what they are.

Thanks in advance for the advice !!

Tim

Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you have TO DO/BUY list on track.

Put oil from the top and leave off the plugs and hand crank the engine to lube internals.

Get it running first and and evaluate everything then. look around engine/tranny for oil leak trace and that would be your clue to replace something. Its a low mileage car and supercharger might still be good.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sound list you have. No need to do charger oil. Also check these:
-strut mounts & mushrooming: new Lemforders & Cravenspeed plates
-LCA bushes & ball joints: go Powerflex
-crank pulley: ATI
-coolant expansion tank: Canton or RMW are the only worthy replacements
-axle & steering boots
- belt tension damper: Amazon has a Gates assembly @ $80
-all gaskets: crank position sensor, oil pan, heat exchanger, crank seal, etc