R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ccccPUNISHER
edgy - you could not have said it any better.

I have an 06 MCS JCW just rolled 119k and have upgraded and updated everything pretty much list goes on and on from engine to suspension car runs like new... and it puts a smile on my face every single day.
its really not worth it getting rid of an R53 it is the best Mini out of the bunch...especially for modding...I plan on doing a full motor rebuild once it goes but until then ill be driving and smiling :-)

So if I was to hazard a guess at a budget for the things to keep my R53 indefinitely, I come up with the following:

Cosmetics - paint, windshield, pieces & parts $3500.

Suspension - struts, bushings, what have you - $2500

Engine rebuild, new supercharger, etc. $6000.

New exhaust - $1500.

New upholstery for driver's seat - (only thing that is worn at all inside the car) - $300, maybe.

Quick total $13,800 and hopefully it would look and run like new.

I don't know what my insurance runs on the 2002 but I just got the bill for the next year's license plates - $108...

I'm thinking that's a lot less than the $35k I would be looking at paying for a new F56. And insurance will be much more expensive on a new car...

And. AND I don't have to spend all of that at once...

Anybody else have any idea of the cost comparison of refurbishing versus buying a new ride?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
This thread should be "who will spend money on their Mini until they die"

Old 09-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by edgy
So if I was to hazard a guess at a budget for the things to keep my R53 indefinitely, I come up with the following: Cosmetics - paint, windshield, pieces & parts $3500. Suspension - struts, bushings, what have you - $2500 Engine rebuild, new supercharger, etc. $6000. New exhaust - $1500. New upholstery for driver's seat - (only thing that is worn at all inside the car) - $300, maybe. Quick total $13,800 and hopefully it would look and run like new. I don't know what my insurance runs on the 2002 but I just got the bill for the next year's license plates - $108... I'm thinking that's a lot less than the $35k I would be looking at paying for a new F56. And insurance will be much more expensive on a new car... And. AND I don't have to spend all of that at once... Anybody else have any idea of the cost comparison of refurbishing versus buying a new ride?
Edgy..only counter to your argument is financing...most places (paint, engine builders) won't be letting you pay for that over 5 years. A new mini gets you that. I toy with theses thoughts same as you all the time. I am just over 100k miles...thinking that as much as it might suck the car will get traded in a few more years. Hardly any miles being put on the R53 anymore as I take the subaru when I have my son with me. (Safer, more room for his stuff, easier to get him in and out of car seat) so maybe 6k miles a year?

Hope when it's time an enthusiast will come along.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Hope when it's time an enthusiast will come along.
He already has. He rides in the back if your Subaru.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jgk6502
He already has. He rides in the back if your Subaru.
Haha well played sir - unfortunately he's 6 months old I don't think I can hold on 15.5 years until he is old enough for a new car.

The issue is: 2 car garage and no parking on street overnight.

Not that keen on parking newer car outside and can't do a shuffle everyday. 1st world problems I know.

Also really worried about part availability given lower steering shaft issues recently.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 AM
blkisuz
Neutral
Forever and Ever Blackeyedsuzie and I will be together. This is the year I dump the $$$$ into her cosmetically and mechanically. at 128k she is all stock and getting all new as my wallet allows (stock as car as mechanically with the JCW) exterior I have a kit on her custom bumper and the English ground effects. The bumper needs work - cracking from stress and so forth. I am getting her wrapped next month. Save the paint $$ for when I can do the whole car. I don't drive her in the winter once the salt starts getting thrown she goes down for a winter nap.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 AM
quietwatch
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be buried in mine - that'll be an expensive plot.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM
MikeN
2nd Gear
I just refreshed a extremely poorly maintained 2002 Mini. Rebuilt the engine, put in new clutch. Painted it with PlastiDip Sora Blue Pearl. Looks good now. Certainly not like brand new but it cut it's age in half at least. I recommend that you guys with high mileage Minis keep a look out for the radiator fan resistor failing because it will lead you to have to rebuild an engine in no time. If that is in check, the engine will go on its merry way for a long long time.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeN
I just refreshed a extremely poorly maintained 2002 Mini. Rebuilt the engine, put in new clutch. Painted it with PlastiDip Sora Blue Pearl. Looks good now. Certainly not like brand new but it cut it's age in half at least. I recommend that you guys with high mileage Minis keep a look out for the radiator fan resistor failing because it will lead you to have to rebuild an engine in no time. If that is in check, the engine will go on its merry way for a long long time.
Got any photos? Sounds interesting

Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM
MikeN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Got any photos? Sounds interesting
Look for it in the car for sale section.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:05 PM
jlloyd
2nd Gear
I've been thinking about this for a long time. I work out of state and very rarely get to drive my R53. There's a battery tender connected and it runs, but it's got 185k miles on it and needs work..water pump/supercharger, headlight igniter, AC, front bushings replaced and the passenger door won't open from the inside or out.
I love that car and promised myself that I'd keep it forever, but at this point, it probably needs $5k to get it back on the road. Kind of funny...$5k is probably pretty close to how much I spent on mods.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 AM
NattySlide
1st Gear
I love my R53 JCW, but I am trying to sell it right now.

Though I do plan on picking up a R53 GP in a few years (to keep forever). Does that count?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM
sal9012
2nd Gear
I plan ok keeping mine for a long time.
I have been slowly updating/upgrading/replacing everyone that's either broken, about to give up or could us improvement.
List so far:
R56 seat swap
Orceari cowl scoops
Replaced door panels and 5 pc dash
New grilles (all 3)
Alta 15% pulley
M7 strut bar
M7 cai
M7 JCW air diffuser
MSD coil and cables
New spark
Detroit tuned valve
All gaskets
New wheels and tires
Carbon fiber door handles, trunk lid, mirrors
New headlights and tai lights
New door actuators
All weather floor mats
Led interior lights
Ehandle, shift **** and leather boots for both
Radiator, ps pump, fan and hoses
Rmw shorty header
Invidia cat back
All engine mounts
New full paint job
New tints
Few interior accents

To be done the first of next moth
New supercharger
Rmw head
Rmw dominator cam
550 injectors
Lsd
Flywheel and clutch
Tune

Yes, I am keeping mine forever.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:57 PM
RDY4TKF
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
84,000 miles on mine. I got in an accident in November and had the hood, both fenders, and headlights replaced. I dropped it off at my local MINI dealer to see about a spot of rust on the hatch. MINI approved driver door, both rear quarter panels, and the hatch to be replaced! I love mine and the only thing I have done is the one ball mod. I can't wait for pulley, intake, and exhaust!!!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RDY4TKF
84,000 miles on mine....I dropped it off at my local MINI dealer to see about a spot of rust on the hatch. MINI approved driver door, both rear quarter panels, and the hatch to be replaced! ...
Is there a program that covers rust or did they just do it because it’s the right thing to do? I have found that most dealers don’t like doing the right thing.

///Rich

Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 AM
RDY4TKF
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Is there a program that covers rust or did they just do it because it’s the right thing to do? I have found that most dealers don’t like doing the right thing.

///Rich
It has a 12 year rust warranty from the factory. I found out this juicy little detail on NAM. I also will have a loaner for the entire four weeks. I was quite surprised to say the least especially since I didn't buy it new and I didn't buy it at that dealer.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We decided to sell our 2002 this month because the rust around the taillights was getting really bad from the inside out. No way to fix it the right way without spending big money. So we sold it and should be picking up a 2010 Clubman S on Tuesday.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like ours got a reprieve. The MINI is my partner's DD and he had been talking about getting a more "grown up" car the past several months. We were planning on replacing it in mid 2015.
Contenders were BMW 228i, Audi A5, VW GTI. We wanted to decide soon because if BMW or Audi we would have done Euro delivery in May. We were at dinner last night and talking about going new car shopping this weekend and he said that he really was still happy with the MINI and wanted to keep it. I told him we had been "lucky" and have had to spend practically no money on repairs (only maintenance) but that winds could start changing with the car coming close to 100k and 9 years on the road. Response was "I still like my MINI, it does what I want it to, so I'm keeping it." Coming from someone who could go out and pay cash for virtually any car out there.
Time for new shocks and maybe an audio upgrade with Bluetooth streaming and finding a way to retrofit the heated seats I cheapened out on when I ordered it back in 2005 (it was my DD its first few years...) Forever is a long time but it sounds like it's sticking around a few more years.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 AM
jamiebean1980
Neutral
I've put so much money into repairs for mine, I'm not really left with any other choice but to drive it til I die!! My husband and I were discussing trading it in for a newer model on Monday this week....today is Wednesday and we're now having to replace the transmission. Feeling defeated today.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:33 PM
DanThor
Neutral
I just made it through the rust repair process. It was both frustrating and satisfying. I originally took it in 14 weeks ago to have the spots under the rear tails and on the hatch looked at for warranty repair. I was told that photos would be submitted to Mini for approval. After 3 weeks of no response I kept calling until I was informed that the approval process had changed and that a Mini USA rep would have to physically inspect the car. I had to wait an additional 4 weeks until the rep made a stop at my local dealer. Once dropping off my car, the process was great. I got a brand new loaner (thanks MINI for providing manuals) for 3.5 weeks. I got my car back with the whole back end looking brand new. It will be hard to give her up for a while now.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM
rydergal
1st Gear
Got 215k miles on my baby, and yup, planning on keeping it forever

Old 11-24-2014, 05:03 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Anyone have or have had Koni Sports and/or Bilstein Sports on stock springs
for their "keep it forever" R50/R53?
If so, let me know what you think of them.
I'm trying to decide between the two for my sporty daily driver 2003 R50.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I do often lament that I made the choices then that I would make differently now. When I gave up my 05 MCS, we had a baby, some back issues, and the general panic of 'baby stuff' issues, despite having purchased a stroller (City Mini) and carseat (Graco Snugride) that fit the MINI in the first place. It was a panic decision. I was only out of a MINI for a year before I went back, this time for an R55... but had I just held onto that first one... the real rub is that I still see it around SF, driven by the woman who snatched it up from the dealer I traded it to. On the upside, she babies it and it looks amazing. On the downside, it's just a reminder on wheels...

Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
My sentiments exactly. I've had my '05 MCS cabrio since 12/23/04 and I've watched dozens of other sell, and buy new again. Approaching 99K miles; 'till the wheels fall off...or the engine dies, whichever comes first.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Certain
2nd Gear
Forever

When my Black '05 R53 started getting tired, I retired her and bought another black '05 R53 that is only 80 cars off on the VIN! Alice I has 329,000 miles on her and will now just slalom race at the new track in Bowling Green, KY while Alice II has a mere 70K and has become my daily driver and work car. My daughter just bought a '10 Clubman justa and I'm trying to talk my other daughter into a Countryman.

Quick Reply: R50/53 So... who is planning to keep their 1st gen MINI literally forever?