Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio WARNING: Don't buy from autotoys.com!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 PM
NYMADMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING: Don't buy from autotoys.com!

All, wanted to share my experience with you and forewarn other MINI owners accordingly.

I have an R53 with factory H/K with SIRIUS. Didn't want to change the stereo as I think it sounds fine. However, really wanted iPhone connectivity via Bluetooth and wired along with a phone kit. Looked around online and came across Autotoys.com. Emailed them many times with specific questions and got the answers I was looking for. Specifically, their GROM unit that supposedly was a quick install with a microphone / Bluetooth option as I've been using a Jabra Bluetooth speaker for phone calls which everyone tells me sounded awful. I was told that their kit wouldn't interfere with my factory Sirius as I've already paid up for a year and love it. So I bit the bullet and ordered their kit. Paid around $170 for everything. When it arrived the main control box had two round female connectors but only came with one round male wire. I emailed them again and sent photos of what I received. At this point the told me I had everything I needed and to go install it. Then (after I purchased everything) they told me they wouldn't answer any tech questions via email and to use their online forums. Hmmm...Went to their website and registered. Got a link to a "customers only" video that was supposed to show a detailed install. Yeah, the video was 3 years old with no audio and was missing quite a bit of detail. So....

Went to a local installer today who really knows his stuff with over 20 years experience. I've seen his work and he quoted me a very good price to install the kit. Well, after he installed it he told me I couldn't have the GROM and SIRIUS as it used the same port! I was adamant after all the emails from Autotoys.com that he was wrong. He pulled it all apart and showed me. I emailed Autotoys and they again told me to go on their forums which I did. Laid it all out and their answer was to (now) tell me that I could buy ANOTHER wire from them IF my factory Sirius had "expansion ports" which basically T'd it off. Yeah, the installer told me my factory Sirius doesn't have expansion ports. I responded to Autotoys forum post and explained all this to them and was explicit as to how clear I was in all my emails pre-purchase that I wasn't interested in the unit if I couldn't retain my Sirius. They wouldn't post my response and never replied. So this begs a couple of questions. (1) If my Sirius did have expansion ports and I "needed" this cable, how come they didn't tell me about it in the numerous emails I sent them before and after the purchase in which I specifically made my point about retaining Sirius and wanted to buy everything is need? and (2) Why couldn't they be honest and tell me I couldn't keep my Sirius with their unit?

Also, just an FYI - I couldn't respond to their response. Anytime you make a post all responses have to be "approved by a moderator" and since I was clear about feeling lied to and not being a happy customer, let's just say my posts never saw the light of day. I followed up with an email to which their only response was; "we responded to you in the forums". I asked why my response to theirs wasn't posted and no answer. I asked for a phone number and they claim they don't have one (yet they're located in NJ) - Bottom line, I installed the GROM and contacted Sirius. I had them disconnect my car from their service and hook me up with streaming service which I can play through their app on my iPhone. Thank goodness I have an unlimited data plan with my carrier otherwise I'd be screwed because I listen to Howard Stern to and from work for hours every day. So, buyer beware; if a company doesn't have a phone number - stay away. These folks are SHADY and I wound up paying my installer for extra time based on their emails to me (which I showed the installer) claiming I could successfully run their kit without interfering with my factory Sirius. Ehhh...wrong.

There are other units out there I'm sure and if you buy a GROM or anything else just don't buy from these guys. Unless you enjoy ZERO customer service, no real technical support, and a "forum" that's as controlled as **** Germany was in WWII...

Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Why didn't you buy the stuff locally from your installer? Seems like these kinds of products are best handled locally.

I don't know anything about autotoys.com, but I never buy anything on the internet based upon conversations with the company, I need to know from printed literature or local word of mouth that it is going to work upfront.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:52 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. At some point down the road, I am going to install B/T and satelite radio in my 2005 R52 S. From what I have read, 1. I am going to have it done locally and 2.I don't have the skill to do it.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 AM
NYMADMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Why didn't you buy the stuff locally from your installer? Seems like these kinds of products are best handled locally. I don't know anything about autotoys.com, but I never buy anything on the internet based upon conversations with the company, I need to know from printed literature or local word of mouth that it is going to work upfront.
No one local to me that I could find sold an interface to work with my factory stereo and on top of that the Autotoys web site made it seem like they had unbelievable customer Svc and tech support which I assure you they DID NOT!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 AM
NYMADMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
Thanks for the heads-up. At some point down the road, I am going to install B/T and satelite radio in my 2005 R52 S. From what I have read, 1. I am going to have it done locally and 2.I don't have the skill to do it.
Good luck! Just don't buy anything from Autotoys.com! Literally ANYONE else, so long as they have a phone number and are willing to actually talk to you! ;-)