Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio CarPC touchscreen mod with integrated Nav, MP3s, XM radio, videos and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great lacning74, can't wait to see some daylight pictures. Are you still using RideRunner for your front end? I see that Centrafuse is about to come out with V3....

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chimera
Looks great lacning74, can't wait to see some daylight pictures. Are you still using RideRunner for your front end? I see that Centrafuse is about to come out with V3....
Running Centrafuse. Tempted by the half off pricing. Very happy with it. Can't wait for V3.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I'm excited for V3 but I'm worried what the performance will be on my Artigo because I heard it has a much more animated interface and as you know the Artigo isn't very powerful. That being said, it does play divx/xvid etc without issue, so who knows.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Romo.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
cool. still waiting for someone to try out a double-din. i would love to be able to flush mount my screen in a real double-din. if i moved the oem unit, not sure i have the time to upgrade to a real stereo and learn about aftermarket headunits, amps, and such.
I've spoken with him, and apparently the double din conversion is available for an extra $180. $500 for the kit is pretty steep though, so I'm still trying to find a decent single din Nav unit. It seems that most of the major manufacturers stopped making anything worthwhile.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here's a better shot of my new console:

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here's some current screenshots of my most used functions.

TPMS with aftermarket sensors and usb receiver interface:

Rear view camera (screen auto switched when in reverse and otherwise constantly recording on to a DVR while driving in addition to my dashcam):

Live traffic cams to help me decide Hudson vs FDR:

iGO navigation:

XM radio:

Extensive cartoon library to entertain my kids:

ScanXL OBDII program:

Firefox (most fun for streaming videos and music):

Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Romo.
1st Gear
That's incredible, seems like your setup can do everything anyone would want and then some.

I'm still debating picking up the single din kit, do you think it would look out of place with a random aftermarket head unit in my console?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Romo.
That's incredible, seems like your setup can do everything anyone would want and then some.

I'm still debating picking up the single din kit, do you think it would look out of place with a random aftermarket head unit in my console?
Thanks. In regards to an aftermarket unit, it is pretty much impossible to make anything really look "stock" with our crazy, curvy, plasticy, knobby oem console. What's most important, is how much form you will give up for function. Guess I really didn't answer your question. Sorry. What's your opinion on Shokits' demo picture?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Romo.
1st Gear
Considering I was planning on just sticking a single din HU in it for now, I'd say it looks pretty ugly, especially because there won't be a flip up screen to cover the big gap. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up until I can afford a decent double din unit, and then buy the double din add on for the shokit as well.

Thanks a lot for the pictures, nice to see how the product looks in car, I must have missed it somehow.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Oh.
My.
God.

Me want CarPC !

Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM
blessani
1st Gear
Nice - what a find, I got a MCS last year and browsing about the forums and found this.

Loving the fact that a piece of software I wrote 5 years ago is still being used ( ShutControl )

Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a price

Enjoyed your mod. But have to disagree with the description "priceless"

Distracted driving is the biggest danger facing Americans on the highway. We all think we need more stimulation and can handle it. We're not pixels. We're humans and at some point you pay the price.

Enjoy. Hopefully on the side of the road.

Last edited by malibujoey; 03-27-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM
t100rc
1st Gear
I am standing and applauding.
This setup is pure sex!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 AM
dongood
4th Gear
The original post was back in 2009, things have changed significantly since then.

These days you would be better off hardwiring an Android tablet into your car. If you don't want to go the fabrication route Pro Clips and others make tablet mounts.

Why Android instead of iOS? Because the mod community is larger for Android and there are more options for connecting external devices, like cameras. There are also pre-existing home screen apps designed for cars.

Use Torque or similar for access to car data, IP cameras as your backup and dash cams, built-in broadband or tether to your phone for internet, Bluetooth keyboards, it's all there.

To chime in on another poster, distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents, and according to a recent report responsible for 60% of all accidents by new drivers.

Also, any display viewable by the driver that can show video while the car is in motion is in violation of vehicle codes in most areas.

Back to the regular programing:

I believe Tesla has switched to Android as the OS it uses to run it's 17inch central display and onboard computer.

And Google showed last year the car specific Android version they have been working on.

We may be at the point where waiting a year reveals easy plugin options.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have to agree with what is said below. I also did a car PC and had the screen up above the mirror. you can see the thread on my build here.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-upgrades.html

I used it for only about a year. Then my Android Phone was more powerful than the computer.

I now have my android phone in a custom made holder just above the right side of the steering wheel. It is has easy finger access without even removing my hand form the steering wheel.

I am an advocate for making "texting while driving illegal" and also advocate for hands free use of phone if it really needs to be used in the car.

Personally I only use the phone to monitor the car with Torque, navigation, playing music, and the occasional phone call in the car. Any thing that needs my attention such as inputting and address for navigation finding a cheap gas station near by (gasbuddy app) and even to find a contact on the phone are all things I stop to do. My life is worth more to me than to end up like many others that use their phone in manners that really distract them from the task at hand i.e. driving and end up hurting other more than themselves.

Was it fun to do the install above yes it was but again in the long run definitely not worth doing now with all the power of smart phones and tablets.

I think the only thing that my smart phone will not do that the computer did was have 1TB of storage for music. My music collection today is currently stands at 1.8TB. The only problem is that with out an unlimited data plan on a phone streaming music in the is just to costly.

Originally Posted by dongood
The original post was back in 2009, things have changed significantly since then.

These days you would be better off hardwiring an Android tablet into your car. If you don't want to go the fabrication route Pro Clips and others make tablet mounts.

Why Android instead of iOS? Because the mod community is larger for Android and there are more options for connecting external devices, like cameras. There are also pre-existing home screen apps designed for cars.

Use Torque or similar for access to car data, IP cameras as your backup and dash cams, built-in broadband or tether to your phone for internet, Bluetooth keyboards, it's all there.

To chime in on another poster, distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents, and according to a recent report responsible for 60% of all accidents by new drivers.

Also, any display viewable by the driver that can show video while the car is in motion is in violation of vehicle codes in most areas.

Back to the regular programing:

I believe Tesla has switched to Android as the OS it uses to run it's 17inch central display and onboard computer.

And Google showed last year the car specific Android version they have been working on.

We may be at the point where waiting a year reveals easy plugin options.