JCW Power Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Danscrazyhair
Looking into picking one of these up. I've been having some rough 1st to 2nd shifts and heard this will smooth those out. Does anyone know if MINI/BMW of Austin is a Dinan dealer, or any good shops who are Dinan dealers in the Austin area? Thanks!
BMW of Austin is a Dinan dealer but not sure how involved they have become with the new MINI stuff yet. German Auto Center is the independent in Austin that is also a Dinan dealer. In regards to the shifts... the product should have no effects on the shifts so I would not presume that it will. If you are having rough shifts I would have the car looked at before any modification is done. Chances are it will just exacerbate whatever the issue may be.

Originally Posted by trouble1943
Just got a 2016 Mini Cooper S and am wondering if you have app for iPhone 6.
Not yet. Still only the Android app at this point with the iOS one coming at some point.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
found it on sale

For those interested in getting one, pm me, found it on sale...

Cheers

P.S. I am going to wait for my car to hit at least 7500km (about 5000 miles) before going down any kind of power root.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do any of you guys have a factory jcw car running this module ? if so what is your preferred setting.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 AM
jobexo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by #Dragon#
Do any of you guys have a factory jcw car running this module ? if so what is your preferred setting.
I do. I'm still using Sport+ mode for now but will switch to Race eventually.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
jobexo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by #Dragon#
Thanks for the install link it might be worth updating your website with this one
Still like my install better

Dragon, You should black out that ugly pink on too

Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear

Lol jobexo you read my mind Sir��

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Got a hold of one. Added about 9 gallons of 101 octane. Not sure if everyone is driving slower/normal. Or I'm going a lot faster and not even realize it.

First stop, race fuel.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by jobexo
Still like my install better

Dragon, You should black out that ugly pink on too
Technically its red, but heat wrap red apparently dulls to pink pretty quick. I'm sticking with its red though. =)

Originally Posted by MiniF55
Got a hold of one. Added about 9 gallons of 101 octane. Not sure if everyone is driving slower/normal. Or I'm going a lot faster and not even realize it.
First stop, race fuel.
lol. Nice meeting you today. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and comparisons to the other stuff you have tried.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:58 PM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Mini f55 do you have android to test the module it would be cool if you let us no how it compares to your other module.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Don't have android. I think I'm going to borrow an android system at some point to watch the boost gauge and switch modes. I got to see how it works on Dinan Engineering phone and it was user friendly and informative. Didn't really log or dyno the other unit I've tested so I can't speak on that.

Two things happened after installing the Dinantronics Sport (in race setting) and filling the tank with about 9.6 gallons of 101 octane fuel (topped it off on the way home)
- After driving around 30-40 miles after the install, it felt very fluid. I'm not really sure how to explain it. The power/boost distribution felt harmonious. It wasn't like a sling shot, then plateau. It was more a constant feed and built a up (which explains my initial reaction of other cars seeming slower or regular) I didn't have to go pedal to the metal and wasn't until I look at the speedometer and notice I was going 65 on a 40. Which brings me to my first point. When I first experienced a the Jcw tune I was all smiles. Same thing when I tried a power module, on top of the tune. I didn't think that feeling can be replicated since I've already done it before. Today I felt it again, it could be cause I got something new to try, but looking at the speedometer, the power and speed is definitely there. The Dinantronic definitely provides you the extra power.
- I get home and the car sits in the driveway for two and a half hours. I start it up, put it on sport, switch blue tooth to open exhaust flap. No warming up since I was running late, and slowly pull out the driveway and accelerate. My exhaust gave me a nice pop I only get when driving around for a while and more "spirited" I had to let off the gas and had to apply a more gentler touch. I normally avoid drawing attention in my own neighborhood to be respectful even in the afternoon. I was really shock and surprised it gave me a pop when I really wasn't trying. I always open up the flap, but switch it on normal when I want to stay low key or late at night/really early mornings.

My plan is to run the tank half way, then fill with premium (for me it's 91 octane) keeping this process till eventually running on race mode with 91. This would be where real comparison starts. Hopefully the system will adapt and adjust accordingly. I believe it's possible since the power and boost application seems more consistent.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
thanks for the reply.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:52 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
No problem Dragon.
Been trying to figure out how to replicate the driving results of the 2 modules. This time around, I went full acceleration (pedal to the metal style) The car with DINANtronic Sport felt strong and steady. I can definitely feel a jump as I push gas. It wasn't like a jolt, it was more like a strong pull of the car and my body getting the G force and pushed to the seat. Again, the power felt steady and progressive. You really have to watch your speed, I was surprised how fast it got to 60 and didn't feel like it. I'm running slightly bigger tires so the speedo to actual speed is the same, if not very very close to being accurate.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:16 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Exclamation yeah but...

Not to rain on anybody's parade... But:

Feel, emotion, seat of the pants, past experiences, moments in time... cannot be taken as fact, actual data, nor real world results.

It is great that you are enjoying your Dinan power module, and that is wonderful, as I can read from your enthusiasm.

Cheers

LormaD

Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by LormaD
Not to rain on anybody's parade... But:

Feel, emotion, seat of the pants, past experiences, moments in time... cannot be taken as fact, actual data, nor real world results.

It is great that you are enjoying your Dinan power module, and that is wonderful, as I can read from your enthusiasm.

Cheers

LormaD
I'll add my own "but..." just because I'm in the mood to debate a bit...

This is very true... but at the same time, most people drive to have fun so the "feel" is very important to the overall experience. Take an axle-back exhaust as an example. Sure it may provide some token weight savings or some minor power advantages at some stupidly high RPM but thats not why you spend money on an exhaust. You spend it for sound. A totally inconsequential ideal that simply makes you smile when you hear it. Car stuff has always been heavily invested in "feel" and I would argue its probably more important then hard stats. Not everyone is a dyno warrior and after some elusive golden number on a glory run... but everyone when all is said and and done want to have some more fun with the car.

All that said, the thing makes power and that's ultimately the reason it "feels" better so there is at least some basis behind the emotion attached to it.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniF55
No problem Dragon.
Been trying to figure out how to replicate the driving results of the 2 modules. This time around, I went full acceleration (pedal to the metal style) The car with DINANtronic Sport felt strong and steady. I can definitely feel a jump as I push gas. It wasn't like a jolt, it was more like a strong pull of the car and my body getting the G force and pushed to the seat. Again, the power felt steady and progressive. You really have to watch your speed, I was surprised how fast it got to 60 and didn't feel like it. I'm running slightly bigger tires so the speedo to actual speed is the same, if not very very close to being accurate.
60 to 110 mph puts a nice smile on your face in sports plus 😃

Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
fact or fiction

Originally Posted by Dinan Engineering
I'll add my own "but..." just because I'm in the mood to debate a bit...

okay, well I am not going to get into a p!ss!ng match over a module that may or may not be similar, may or may not be better, may or may not be inferior, or may or may not be a copy of one or similar designs.

pointless

Last edited by LormaD; 08-19-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by LormaD
okay, well I am not going to get into a p!ss!ng match over a module that may or may not be similar, may or may not be better, may or may not be inferior, or may or may not be a copy of one or similar designs.

pointless
Agreed. Wasn't looking for a pissing match just a friendly debate is all. =)

The simple fact of the matter is when you plug into a single sensor (or 2) you are only able to change one variable. So assuming the same amount of additional boost every module will output the same power. The difference ultimately comes down to price, build quality, support, additional value added features (BT, added maps, etc), and to some extent the base tuning as to when boost is applied or removed in the power band.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Agreed. Wasn't looking for a pissing match just a friendly debate is all. =)

The simple fact of the matter is when you plug into a single sensor (or 2) you are only able to change one variable. So assuming the same amount of additional boost every module will output the same power. The difference ultimately comes down to price, build quality, support, additional value added features (BT, added maps, etc), and to some extent the base tuning as to when boost is applied or removed in the power band.
So, my question is: What's the difference between connecting the mod to the MAF vs. where the Dinan D440-0012 connects? And do we see/feel any increase in boost in the 1250 - 2000 RPM range with the Dinan?

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Originally Posted by 2017All4
So, my question is: What's the difference between connecting the mod to the MAF vs. where the Dinan D440-0012 connects? And do we see/feel any increase in boost in the 1250 - 2000 RPM range with the Dinan?

Thanks.
DPT Sport and most of the devices out there plug into TMAP/MAP which are pressure/boost sensors. the MAF sensor is the sensor that measures air flow at the intake. It can assist in comparing to boost and when and where to add boost, etc. But by itself, altering it will do nothing to make a car go faster.

I have yet to drive any of these MINI's personally so I probably wouldn't be the best person to answer this but in the BMW world boost does not start to occur until about 2500 RPM so there are no power gains without adding boost hence why no chart shows below that threshold. On the MINI, I have heard supposedly that the boost starts lower, much lower... if thats the case then maybe there is some power to be had there but its going to be pretty minimal even if it is since the turbo would not be fully spooled at that low of an RPM range anyway.

Perhaps those that have it on the vehicle would be better equipped to answer if it feels stronger in the lower RPM then I however.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I hope some early adopters of the Dinan mod will report on their experience with boost at lower revs. We old guys love us some low end torque. And the new 2.0 peaks below 1500 without modification. So a little more grunt early on would be just that much sweeter.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:09 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
This is very true... but at the same time, most people drive to have fun so the "feel" is very important to the overall experience. Take an axle-back exhaust as an example. Sure it may provide some token weight savings or some minor power advantages at some stupidly high RPM but thats not why you spend money on an exhaust. You spend it for sound. A totally inconsequential ideal that simply makes you smile when you hear it. Car stuff has always been heavily invested in "feel" and I would argue its probably more important then hard stats. Not everyone is a dyno warrior and after some elusive golden number on a glory run... but everyone when all is said and and done want to have some more fun with the car.

Well said. Visceral appeal has always been a part of the car industry. For anyone who has a new JCW, they could have bought a faster car for that price point. Emotional purchase > logical purchase in this case.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Thanks for the quick response. I hope some early adopters of the Dinan mod will report on their experience with boost at lower revs. We old guys love us some low end torque. And the new 2.0 peaks below 1500 without modification. So a little more grunt early on would be just that much sweeter.
Hi 2017all4
With the factory jcw car and the Dinan setup in sport plus the turbo kicks in around1200 rpm. I have the chrono bmw boost gauge and Dinan boost gauge to monitor this.
but the real test is when your wife screams at 3000 revs 😃

Old 08-20-2016, 02:35 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Great Real Factual info Dragon. I found myself chasing a GTI earlier today after passing me and revving up. He or she was Fast, and vey skilled at maneuvering through freeway afternoon commute. Had to back off since I found myself going over 100 which was not responsible or safe. I didnt even realize I was going that fast (all straight away driving on passing lane) So yes, 60 to 110 power is definitely there. With race mode, it gets there even faster.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:54 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Speeding down the freeway f55 ? Have you been watching to much fast and furious lol

Old 08-20-2016, 04:35 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
It was purely accidental. I knew something wasn't right since I was Zooming past the cars, and sure enough I was a tad bit over the limit. It was more "Need for Speed" with the breaking bad guy. Fast and furious has somewhat changed over the years. Maybe the original fast and furious, but nothing like any recent one.

Quick Reply: JCW Power Up!!!