Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Removing Center Dash grill on an R53?......>

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Center Dash grill on an R53?......>

Quick search didn't reveal the secret and nor did the Bentley Manual. Need to remove the Center defrost vent in the center of the dash. I've got all the needed pry tools, but wanted to check here for any "Gotcha's" in case that's not the way to proceed...

Thanks!

Last edited by Modshack; 05-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
seatosky
2nd Gear
I'm also trying to remove this vent... My roommate is a car audio installer and he deals with this kind of thing all the time..
there are two torx screws after you remove the two caps at either side of the vent. However, the part that you are unscrewing is not the actual vent. It appears the vent is screwed in from underneath. Removing the center gauge cluster (super easy) reveals a magnesium alloy plate blocking you from seeing what is going on under that vent. My best guess is that you have to completely remove the top portion of the dash in order to remove that vent. Probably the best thing to do is find some time when you can remove the whole dash in one go.... If anyone has any tips on an easier way to remove this, let us know! I want to build a fiberglass gauge pod with vent holes in it for two gauges.

RealOEM is no help, it just shows the whole unit and not the center vent as one part. However, on RealOEM i did see part number 82940015951, which is an OEM gauge cluster that sits below the window/door lock controls... now to find out where in the world to get this part...

Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info...That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Removed the caps, looked around inside with a mirror, Pried up the edges....Nuttin! No apparent way to release the part. I'm sure it's attached from the bottom. Bummer..

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
seatosky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Modshack
Bummer..
More like Bimmer! These cars are too well built I tell ya. For sake of convenience, you can pretty much give a tug to any panel in something like a Mustang and in about five minutes be down to just the sterring column and heater core!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
TWON
4th Gear
I was under the impression that the two torx screws you are referring to, on each side under that panels, releases the whole top dash, it should just slide forward. Just take the whole thing off, then you have access to the vent that is connected to it.