How To ECU Software for 2013 R56 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Phillsco
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU Software for 2013 R56 JCW

Looking to do some ECU coding and key fob programming and want some opinions on whether to use E-Sys or INPA/NCS Expert software. E-Sys says it works with Mini but also says the F56 chasis so may be 2014+ models. INPA/NCS says it works with R56 chassis but doesn't appear as robust as the E-Sys software. Also; both say to use a USB-to-ODB2 cable but I have a bluetooth (vGate) version.

First question; would the community recommend E-Sys or INPA/NCS for the 2013 R56 JCW or is there another recommended software?

Second question; do I need to purchase a USB-to-ODB2 cable or is there a way to make the bluetooth model work (e.g. changing port properties)?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:48 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Delayed reply but here goes - NCSExpert for coding ECUs. No coding required for keyfob (but if you mean to programme a replacement fob that is another question and you are looking for eprom coding). E-sys is as you say for F vehicles. You need a hard wired cable and drivers. BT or WiFi will not work with NCSExpert drivers and even if you got it working the last thing you want is to lose connectivity during an ECU write! BMW forums are the best place to find coding details and access to NCSExpert. INPA is good for diagnostics and clearing codes. Usually all comes in one package.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Babidi
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any info what is the latest firmware version for R56 ECU?
What else can be updated with firmware/software? I have manual transmisson so for sure I will not update that, but what are any other things that can be updated? Anybody with a list of firmware with changelogs?